Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 7:10:37 AM EDT
I did say "Did you know anyone who died in 9/11?, but the other title speaks the truth.

I did not ,however my sister knew three personally. One was on a plane that hit the first tower. She knew two others in the building. The company she worked for provided health services for alot of companies int the WTC.

ONE COMPANY SHE WORKED WITH LOST EVERY LAST EMPLOYEE. EVERYONE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Only one who died....though not very well.

I work with one guy who was in one of the towers when it was hit.  He barely made it out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
fellow football teammate.
he was a year ahead of me,, he always treated   others as the same even the new freshmen,,even tho he was a senior and in the "'cool"" crowd,, teammates were teammates to him,,no matter  who or what the did or hung out with!,,,
great guy,,sad he was takin away like that!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Three
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Not me.

But one of my daughter's school teachers had a daughter who was killed that aweful day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Went to USAFA with one of the pilots. Didn't know him personally since he was a couple of years ahead of me, but remember the face and the name. I didn't figure it out until a couple of days later. Now, his face is seared into my memory forever.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my classmates father died on 9/11.  He was a good man who was involved with the local community, RIP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]
1 person in the North Tower.  It doesn't seem to get any easier over time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I was working as a K9 handler in the harbor when it happened... the question that followed for weeks after was not "did you lose anyone" but "how many did you lose"...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The XO of my second ship (and my direct boss) was murdered at the Pentagon.

He was an honest, family-devoted, Christian man who was also a great officer.

The scum who killed him aren't worthy to lick his ass clean...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Seven including these folks:

www.zoeszinnias.com/
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

www.zoeszinnias.com/

Wow, that site made me tear up pretty bad.
God Bless, and Rest in Peace.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.zoeszinnias.com/

...and people wonder why I'd nuke the entire lot of them...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Not personally.  There was a stock market commentator whose column I read regularly who died in the attack.  And I knew of Barbara Olsen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

www.zoeszinnias.com/

The wife and I have a large yard with a lot of plants and flowers and very little grass.Next year there is going to be a large aera for    Zoe's Zinnias
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

www.zoeszinnias.com/

That was disturbingly sad.  How awful.

God bless them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]
No. But I knew a pilot who died in the war.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#18]
My father-in law was a good friend of his.

April 19, 2003, 9:25AM

Ex-POWs will soon be back in Texas
Dead F-15 pilot was from Amarillo
By JOHN W. GONZALEZ
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Amid a modicum of fanfare and lots of joy, seven former prisoners of war in Iraq return to their Texas Army posts today to be reunited with loved ones and fellow troops, just as the grieving begins for a Panhandle native killed in action.

The former POWs were scheduled to depart Germany at 6 a.m. today and are due to arrive this evening near El Paso at Fort Bliss, where five of them are based with the 507th Maintenance Company.

Their military aircraft then continues to Fort Hood to deliver the other two rescued troops, both helicopter pilots, to awaiting families and friends in Central Texas.

All seven soldiers were liberated from three weeks' captivity a week ago as U.S. troops advanced on Tikrit. They were taken to Kuwait before undergoing several days of medical treatment and observation at Landstuhl Army Medical Center in Germany. On Friday, they made a brief joint appearance and professed an eagerness to get home.

Officials at Fort Bliss said the group is scheduled to arrive at Biggs Army Airfield at 7 p.m. CDT. Returning to the post are Spc. Edgar Adan Hernandez, of Mission; Spc. Joseph Neal Hudson, of Alamogordo, N.M.; Spc. Shoshana Nyree Johnson, of El Paso; Pfc. Patrick Wayne Miller, of Walter, Kan. and Sgt. James Joseph Riley, of Pennsauken, N.J.

Continuing to Fort Hood, near Killeen, will be Chief Warrant Officers David S. Williams, of Orlando, Fla. and Ronald D. Young Jr., of Lithia Springs, Ga. Their Apache helicopter was shot down in Iraq the same day the maintenance company's convoy was ambushed, killing nine other members of the 507th from Fort Bliss.

Another survivor of that ordeal, Spc. Jessica Lynch, was taken captive and held separately from the others and was rescued several days before them. With several serious wounds, she's recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

At Landstuhl, Williams urged the public to keep praying for troops who are still in harm's way in Iraq.

"We all would like to thank our Americans for the tremendous support we've been getting, and we're looking forward to coming home as soon as we possibly can," Williams added.

Johnson is recovering from gunshot wounds to both feet. During the military flight from Kuwait to Landstuhl on Wednesday, a medical technician helped her to the galley where staff were baking cookies for the former POWs and others aboard.

"Shoshana, I got her up and had to hobble her the length of the aircraft on one foot to go up to the kitchen area," Russell Goodwater, 45, told reporters Friday.

At Fort Hood, Army officials are planning to greet the returning pilots no matter what hour they arrive at Gray Army Airfield. Troops from the 4th Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and the division band will join the post's commanding general in welcoming them, officials said.

Williams will be greeted by his wife, Michelle, also an Army helicopter pilot, and his 2-year-old son, who live at Fort Hood. Young isn't married, but other family members may be journeying to Fort Hood from Georgia.

President Bush, who is spending the Easter holiday at his ranch near Crawford, plans to attend services at Fort Hood on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Air Force disclosed Friday it had recovered and identified the remains of one of two pilots recorded as missing on April 7 when their F-15E Strike Eagle apparently went down near Tikrit after a bombing run over northern Iraq.

Declared dead was Capt. Eric B. Das, 30, who was raised in Amarillo. The unidentified second pilot has not been found. The Pentagon disclosed no details of how Das' remains were recovered.

Das was assigned to the 333rd Fighter Squadron of the 4th Fighter Wing, based at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C. He lived in Goldsboro, N.C., with his wife, Nikki, a pilot who was deployed to Iraq at the same time as her husband.

The parents of the war's latest casualty, Bruce and Rosie Das, issued a statement saying "Eric is a son that exemplified what faith in Christ, honor and duty and a life of excellence meant. His strong faith was an inspiration to our family, friends and his fellow servicemen and to all who knew him," they said.

"We thank you for your prayers and display of love for us in this time of loss and sorrow. We are comforted with the many joyous memories of Eric's 30 years of life. The Lord, whom we love and serve, is also comforting us," the parents said.

Their son graduated from Amarillo High School in 1991 and the Air Force Academy in 1995. He and his wife were married in Amarillo on October 20, 2001, they said.

After memorial services in Amarillo and Goldsboro, Das will be buried at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., the family said.

"He will be missed," added 4th Fighter Wing spokeswoman 1st Lt. Beverly Mock

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, one was at my wedding on the 8th and the other was an Army Major I worked with.  Both died in the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Two - a NYC Fireman from my town and an aquaintance (friend of a friend I met at neighborhood parties) who worked in the Trade Center.  

May all their souls find peace and comfort.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
A FDNY FF was also a Dragon gunner in my reserve unit's Weapons Co.

Sean Tallon

My brother in law's wife's father....

William Wren
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the girls on my floor sophomore year (2001-2002) lost her brother in the WTC.  
The thing I feel utterly horrible about was: She was trying to compose herself walking down the hall to talk to a friend when I yelled out "Keith, get your fucking ass back here! The tower collapsed!" as my roommate was walking down the hall to get a shower. (I had awakened him up when the second plane hit)

That was not a good choice of words on my part, the doc ended up sedating her quite heavily to get through the next few days.

I found out later that her brother had been a junkie and had turned his life around, she looked up to him as her biggest hero and she'd just been told by her mom that he had called her and said "Mom, a plane just hit my building, I'm sorry for everything I did wrong."  He worked close to the top floor and never made it out.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I knew John Brett Cahill very well. He was a passanger on flight 175 out of Boston.  He was a great man, husband and father. His nickname was Mad dog in his early days. We had a lot of fun togther running around in Boston many years ago (I smile as I type this). Had JB known it was a suicide hijack he would have fought to the death. May he rest in peace and God bless his family.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I did say "Did you know anyone who died in 9/11?, but the other title speaks the truth.

Born in NYC, grew up in NJ (Monmouth County). I knew 18 people who died, none family.

The company I worked for at the time, had 1 person on one of the planes, didn't know him though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Too many...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#28]
SGM Lacey Ivory

He recruited me into the Army in the 1980s. I hadn't seen him or talked to him in years, and was shocked to read his name on one of the casualty lists.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I did not ,however my sister knew three personally. One was on a plane that hit the first tower. She knew two others in the building. The company she worked for provided health services for alot of companies int the WTC.

ONE COMPANY SHE WORKED WITH LOST EVERY LAST EMPLOYEE. EVERYONE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

A NY Fireman who died in the collapse trying to get people out. I did not know this man personally, but I did get to know a NY Fire Marshall who had been close friends with him for 20 years. This Fire Marshall was there when they took his body from the site.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I did not personally know any.  I was on travel at a broadcast tower site at the time.  The guys operating the site knew the entire engineering crew that serviced the equipment in the top of one of the buildings.  My current company lost three consultants at the Pentagon.

Never forget.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.zoeszinnias.com/

That was disturbingly sad.  How awful.

God bless them.

The funeral was really sad.  It was done in two parts, a "kid's part" and then the "parent's part".  The kid's part was really tough--they had the whole 3rd grade elementary school class there.  

They never found any remains of the littlest girl.  

Hopefully I won't have to think about this too much for another year.  But this is one reason I get really ticked off when conspiracy nuts claim it wasn't a plane which hit the Pentagon.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top