Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 1:05:58 AM EDT
I Found This On impactguns
http://www.impactguns.com/store/ban_free.html

Frequently Asked Assault Weapon Ban Questions

* When does the Assault Weapons Ban expire?
     September 13, 2004
   * Is there a chance that it will not expire?
     Yes. You never know, especially in politics, when something can change, BUT we are confident that indications are pointing to it expiring with no new law replacing it.
   * What is 'Ban Free'?
     It is our term for guns and magazines that were outlawed in the 1994 ban, but will become legal after the ban expires. Easier said than, 'Post ban expired guns in pre-ban configuration' or somesuch nonesense.
   * Does this mean I can buy a gun with a collapsing stock, flash-hider, and bayonet lug after September 13?
     Yes, you've always been able to buy 'pre-ban' guns (at high prices) in this configuration that were made before September, 1994. Now manufacturers will be able to make them for civilian purchase so the prices will come down significantly over time.
   * Does this apply to high-capacity magazines as well?
     Yes, high-capacity magazines (those over 10 rounds) will be able to be manufactured, which will cause prices to come down significantly.
   * What about guns and magazines stamped 'Law Enforcement Only'?
     These are guns and magazines that were manufactured after the 1994 ban for use by governmental agencies and authorized law enforcement officers. The BATFE has told us that these guns will be no longer outlawed on September 13, 2004 for individual purchase-- NO MATTER what is stamped by the manufacturer on the item. This means that you can own a firearm or magazine stamped 'LE Only' after September 13, 2004. Since manufacturer
s have not release new products without this stamp, these items are the most sought after at the moment, and are the only Ban Free configuration guns and magazines available.
   * What happens if the BATFE decides NOT to allow guns or magazines stamped 'Law Enforcement Only' to be owned by civilians?
     The BATFE can change their rules and regulations in an attempt to better enforce the law, but if the law does not exist they cannot create additional regulations to enforce it. As of September 13, 2004, this law will expire. If, through some legal back door, the BATFE were able to prevent 'Law Enforcement Only' guns and magazines to be purchased by civilians, then Imp

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Duh....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont buy that LEO marked mags are going to be legal, at least until the ATF specificly states that they are.

even if the ATF does, why bother? theres already tons of legal mags and going to be more that theres no need to deal with LEO mags.
just the possible hassle of a not-knowing cop giving you crap or running you in doesnt make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]
THANK YOU CAPTAIN ODVIOUS!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i dont buy that LEO marked mags are going to be legal, at least until the ATF specificly states that they are.

even if the ATF does, why bother? theres already tons of legal mags and going to be more that theres no need to deal with LEO mags.
just the possible hassle of a not-knowing cop giving you crap or running you in doesnt make it worthwhile.

Obey your masters Californian....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
$40 for a beretta 92 mag ?!?!?

I could find these for the same price during the whole ban !

But of course they say

This may be a limited offer, the window could easily close, or we could run out of inventory. Get on board with us and 'Be Prepared'.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#6]
No ban weapons can have anything you want stamped on them.  They can say LEO only, US military only, fat chicks only, for use by Jesus Christ himself, etc.   The weapons will be legal - wording matters not.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I know a shop where there's a very nice LEO Colt M4 sitting on the shelf. It's been there a few months now. I think I just might have to put that sucker on layaway today. I could call it my pre-ban when pre-ban's weren't cool post-ban!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No ban weapons can have anything you want stamped on them.  They can say LEO only, US military only, fat chicks only, for use by Jesus Christ himself, etc.   The weapons will be legal - wording matters not.

Quoted:
i dont buy that LEO marked mags are going to be legal, at least until the ATF specificly states that they are. even if the ATF does, why bother? theres already tons of legal mags and going to be more that theres no need to deal with LEO mags.

I am So Freaking Confused About what’s going to Be Legal and what’s not.  I can See your Point that It doesn’t mater what’s marked on a Receiver I have seen old military rifles say U.S Government Property on them .  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know a shop where there's a very nice LEO Colt M4 sitting on the shelf. It's been there a few months now. I think I just might have to put that sucker on layaway today. I could call it my pre-ban when pre-ban's weren't cool post-ban!

Since you've now mentioned it - you must post pics when you get it.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I am So Freaking Confused About what’s going to Be Legal and what’s not.  I can See your Point that It doesn’t mater what’s marked on a Receiver I have seen old military rifles say U.S Government Property on them .  

Here's the short version: unless you're in a state that has a state-level magazine restriction, IT'S ALL GOOD. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
WOO HOO !!! TWO MORE DAYS !!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Its no different than owning a box of Ranger ammo, an Eotech, or an 870 folding stock marked "LEO use only" after Sept 13th.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i dont buy that LEO marked mags are going to be legal, at least until the ATF specificly states that they are..

Dumb Ass.

Go back to grazing, until your .gov masters tell you otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the LEO marking confuses some people because they equate it to "ownership".  It is not the same thing as "US Government Property" which would imply you needed special permission to buy the item or else it would be sold through govt. auction etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you live in CA I don't think you want to have any mags that say LEO Only.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you smell the sweet air of freedom friends? I know I can...  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Why not?  The law that states we can't own LEO marked mags is not going to be there anymore.  Winchester sells ammunition marked for LEO only.  Perfectly legal to buy.  Ammoman sells this:

"LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY".
Public is perfectly able to purchase this and use it.  

BAN=DEAD.  EVERYTHING that the ban "banned" is legal now.  Any dealer, ANY DEALER that says "Oh, I can't sell you that mag.  It's LEO marked!  You have to buy THIS pre-ban one for 80 bucks!" is a cocksucker, and just trying to make a buck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Garand1911, is it legal to own a revolver that is painted red, has streamers hanging off the barrel, has grips made of chocolate, and is stamped "for clown & other circus personal use only"???

I mean there is no specific law or ruling that says it is legal right, so I guess if I own one of these strange & tasty handguns, I should consult with the BAFTE to make sure that they approve of it?

Get where I’m going with this... if something is not specifically illegal, it is perfectly legal to own & use!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#20]
On the LEO mags where does it say for LEO only??? On the floorplate
????

anyone know??
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
????

anyone know??

Nope, stamped right on the mag body

If it was only the floorplate EVERYONE would just change them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
????

anyone know??

Mag body or floorplate.

Usually the mag body, as if it was on the floorplate you could have swapped floorplates and had a legal new mag, as an unmarked mag iwas specifically presumed to be preban under the law.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#24]
you can always take a dremmil to the writing on the mag
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep... anything that was banned is now un-banned.  As if the law never existed.    

I wouldn't mind having a couple marked LEO mags... just for shits and giggles.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Super Ultra Mega Duh

Have you been in a coma or something?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I you lawfully purchased LEO/Govt mags, between 1994 and 1999, they are legal in Cali.  Our ban didnt start until 2000.  Of my 6 LEO Glock 19 mags, 3 will sunset next week, Three will not. Of course they have identical markings, but glaock has made many small prodict changes in the last 10 years. Yuo can bet Cal DOJ can tell the difference between pre 2000 hicaps and post 2004 high caps. Current Glock mags for example have a smooth stripe on the side, and updated followers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't believe you.

I don't, either. I thought that part of the reason stuff was marked "LEO only" was that it was sold directly to police departments from the manufacturer. Therefore, there was no excise tax placed on the item, and possession or use of such item not in conjuntcion with official LEO duties constituted tax evasion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 20 brand new Bushmaster 30-round LEO magazines.  NEENER NEENER NEENER.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Says NYPatriot...

BTW, thanks for all your efforts on fighting this darn law!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its no different than owning a box of Ranger ammo, an Eotech, or an 870 folding stock marked "LEO use only" after Sept 13th.

I've got a box of .357SIG Ranger LEO ...

Quoted:

We'll never be free in this state... Why is it NYC "Permit" holders can leave NYC with their pistols (the few that have them legally), but those of us with  New York STATE issued "permits" can't go into NYC?  Based on that, if you ask me, People from NYC should not be able to leave the confines of NYC. It's all a load of BS anyway...
Hopefully I'll be in Alaska by this time next year... Conceild carry, open carry, it's all good...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I plan to buy some LEO only mags because I like LEO-marked gear.  Love handguns with LEO property marks.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I've heard talk that at least one major gun manufacturer is going to ask it's distributors NOT to sell LEO marked guns to the public. This is gun store rumor, so I'm not naming names and I'm not sure I believe it.

I've also heard talk that the ATF is going to interpret the law such that LEO marked guns aren't ok for personal sale. Again, gun store rumors so probably no truth to it.

Guess we are just going to have to wait and see.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've heard talk that at least one major gun manufacturer is going to ask it's distributors NOT to sell LEO marked guns to the public. This is gun store rumor, so I'm not naming names and I'm not sure I believe it.

I've also heard talk that the ATF is going to interpret the law such that LEO marked guns aren't ok for personal sale. Again, gun store rumors so probably no truth to it.

Guess we are just going to have to wait and see.

dear.....god...... make it stop
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

SHARE, bitch!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Lokt, I can best answer your query by paraphrasing MLK...

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We New Yorkers have some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter to me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to own new "assault weapons". New guns have their place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing Fienstein or Schumer. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the ending of the "assault weapons" ban.

Sometimes you just gotta look beyond your own self interests, and do what is right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#42]
jeez, didnt think i was gonna get flamed every which way

sorry for trying to error on the side of caution until there is more official clarification

ill go shut the fuck up now

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#43]
You don't fucking say.....

Q. What was the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device (LCAFD) ban?

A: The LCAFD ban was enacted along with the SAW ban on September 13, 1994. The ban made it unlawful to transfer or possess LCAFDs. The law generally defined a LCAFD as a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after September 13, 1994 that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The ban was codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(w).
As with SAWs, there are certain exceptions to the ban, such as possession by law enforcement.

Q: Was the LCAFD ban permanent?

A: No. The LCAFD ban was enacted by the same law as the SAW ban. Therefore, like the SAW ban, it expires 10 years from the date of enactment. Therefore, effective 12:01 a.m. on September 13, 2004, the provisions of the law will cease to apply.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-faqs.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#44]

U know they designed and manufactured weapons between 94' and 04' right ? Such as the Steyr M9, I just bought 3 14rd mags for it marked "LEO only" on "THE WRAPPER" not on the mag body..........
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I you lawfully purchased LEO/Govt mags, between 1994 and 1999, they are legal in Cali.  Our ban didnt start until 2000.  Of my 6 LEO Glock 19 mags, 3 will sunset next week, Three will not. Of course they have identical markings, but glaock has made many small prodict changes in the last 10 years. Yuo can bet Cal DOJ can tell the difference between pre 2000 hicaps and post 2004 high caps. Current Glock mags for example have a smooth stripe on the side, and updated followers.

I didn't know that.  Yep, the DOJ might be able to tell and YOU, but that leaves a lot of people who don't know the difference.  I'd just think in CA it's not worth the possible hassle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
GENERAL

As of September 13, 2004, the provisions of Public Law 103-322, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, covering semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices are no longer in effect. The regulations implementing these provisions also are no longer in effect.

Specifically, there is no longer a Federal prohibition on the manufacture, transfer, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

There are no longer any marking requirements for semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Existing markings on firearms and magazines relating to law enforcement or government use may be disregarded.

BOTTOM PARAGRAPH!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#48]
atf has already announced on their site that leo mags/ rifles are now going to be ok for sale.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top