Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 9:42:43 PM EDT

COPIED FROM FREEPERS:

Yet Another CBS Document Experiment (CBS file vs. Word document) [perfect match]

Here is the result if I print the Microsoft Word document I created to a PDF file:

Here is the CBS News “original:”

And here is the result if I overlay the CBS News “original” on my Word-created PDF file:

As you can see, it’s an even better match than the Word screenshots I’ve been using previously.

The superscript “th” in “187th” now lines up perfectly with the CBS News “original.”

The correspondence is so exact that in the center of the image (the focal point of the fax/copier machine that was probably used to “age” it) you cannot see any differences at all.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Man they're grasping for straws now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
COPIED FROM FREEPERS:

Yet Another CBS Document Experiment (CBS file vs. Word document) [perfect match]

As you can see, it’s an even better match than the Word screenshots I’ve been using previously.

The superscript “th” in “187th” now lines up perfectly with the CBS News “original.”
l.

Yeah, the reason for that was that everybody before was using screenshots from Word, which is slightly different from what you get when you print of copy to pdf apparently.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
... It's almost silly The_Macallan.

... NOW  the left is claiming this was a counter-plot "plant" by the right!

... Lot’s of this year’s political shenanigans are reminiscing of the old Cold War disisinformation tactics prior to the collapse of the USSR.

… Weird, I can’t seem to shake it
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
umm...not to metion, the DoD doesnt use times new roman for anything, they use courier.

go look at your orders, if you served.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why would the "right" plant such an OBVIOUSLY forged memo that would be so EASILY shown to be faked - unless they knew that the media was SO rabidly anti-Bush and SO blindly biased that they'd never put any genuine effort into critically examining the memos for authenticity?

Basically if the left is claiming these obvious forgeries were a "right-wing conspiracy" then they MUST also then admit that the media is inherently and blindly BIASED AND INCOMPETENT for swallowing it hook, line and sinker!

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would the "right" plant such an OBVIOUSLY forged memo that would be so EASILY shown to be faked - unless they knew that the media was SO rabidly anti-Bush and SO blindly biased that they'd never put any genuine effort into critically examining the memos for authenticity?

Basically if the left is claiming these obvious forgeries were a "right-wing conspiracy" then they MUST also then admit that the media is inherently and blindly BIASED AND INCOMPETENT for swallowing it hook, line and sinker!

Well, if it was a plant it worked brilliantly...

Made total FOOLS of the CBS crew...

Rather, here's some Crow, raw... Eat up!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
does anyone think that piece of shit will actually admit to being wrong over this 'memogate' BS?

i will eat a mile of shit if he comes out, apologizes, and says he was wrong to go forward with this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
very nice
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
does anyone think that piece of shit will actually admit to being wrong over this 'memogate' BS?

i will eat a mile of shit if he comes out, apologizes, and says he was wrong to go forward with this.

Doesn't matter to me if he apologizes or doesn't.

Becuase this is forgery of a US gov't document. I'm pretty damn sure that's a federal crime. Somebody should go to jail for it, and Rather is just as good as anybody else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
umm...not to metion, the DoD doesnt use times new roman for anything, they use courier.

go look at your orders, if you served.

You know, I thought that the second I saw the memo--that the memo just didn't look "right,"  

I.e. old school .gov docs, especially from the DoD, always look funky, courier font, and have that unmistakeable typewriter look to them.  

The "memos" looked too good.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I suppose that it is within the realm of possibility that this was bait put out by the vast right-wing conspiracy.

If so, CBS swallowed it hook, line and sinker!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#13]
CBS News still denying it this AM.

Like the song goes, "Loving every minute of it!"

wganz

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
CBS News still denying it this AM.

Like the song goes, "Loving every minute of it!"

wganz

+1 yes they are sooo  righteous and perfect.  "How dare you question the all knowing"
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was a plant, Rather would have long ago disclosed the chain of individuals responsible for bringing him the document.

They would be able to trace it back to someone linked to the Bush campaign. And if they could do that, they sure as hell would have, by now.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... It's almost silly The_Macallan.

What's funnier is that a lot of bloggers and pundits predicted the Democrats would do exactly that, call the forgeries a Karl Rove dirty trick, to make the Democrats look like desperate, underhanded crooks who'll do anything to regain power.

Democrats don't need Karl Rove to make them look like that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#19]
If it is a Carl Rove "dirty trick", who cares?  Rather took the story and ran with it, and that's the point.  If I go around a Democrat neighborhood handing out flyers saying "don't forget to vote on Wednesday", and they're stupid enough to believe it, it's their fault for being stupid, not mine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Other questions

Where did Killian get a typewriter that supported Times Roman, a proportional font? As indicated here, the only typewriter that might have done this is the IBM Selectric Composer, a $3500 item (in1972 dollars).  http://shapeofdays.typepad.com/the_shape_of_days/2004/09/the_ibm_selectr.html Note that the line spacing and character spacing doesn't match with this one. And doing the superscript "th", meant manually changing out the ball to change font sizes.

Why is the font used different than air force regulation (Courier or one other)?

How did however that typed this manage to exactly center the typewritten letterhead in exactly the same way every time, even though there are several months between each memo, and how did they exactly match MS Words auto center results?

Killian didn't type, who typed this without making errors?

General Staudt retired in 1972, who was he to pressure folks in 1973?

Why is the letterhead typed, and not preprinted as was the way things were done.

What is AFM  35-13?  Apparently that manual didn't exist then.

Why have Killian's wife and son called them fakes?

Why has the guy CBS claims supports their view, now call them fakes (he was originally told they were hand written).

Where are the original docs? If they were just copies, how does proving the signature is real prove anything?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the sites linked off drudge had a supporter of the documents claiming that:

-since the font has been around since 1931 and,

-although rare and expensive, typewriters were available in the day which had the superscript character, and,

-when you photoshop one on top of the other and,

-when examined through the low resolution of a monitor small details and differences are lost, that you cannot claim these are forgeries.

I say that may be true for the first character in a line, but even small errors accumulate and by the time you get to the end of the line, you will not only have differences at the end, but the line spacing and accumulated errors along a paragraph will make any discrepencies obvious. The errors would be from the differences in mechanical vs. electronic kerning and letter design. The absence of such discrepencies between a purportedly typed and a word processed document is damning in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#23]
HA  HA !!!!

The stupid fucks have imploded due to thair own hate fild pea brains!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top