Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2004 8:41:53 PM EDT
I have a meet tomorrow (cross country) and a mean blister. It looks like this (actual pic of my foot):

It hasn't popped or anything. It feels kind of hard, is swollen up, and is extremely painful. It's also very warm.

Please help me guys. It sucks hard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Get sgtar15 to suck the poison out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Suck it up or call in sick.

I marched 10 miles with blisters, you won't die.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak your foot in tannerite, then post pics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd poke a small hole in the edge with a sterile needle to drain it.

Then cover the thing up with some moleskin and tape while you run on it tomorrow.

Then when you get home, just to increase your pain tolerance ... tear the cover off and let that sucker burn.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh No, someone post a warning for TheBeeKeeper. Doesn`t he a a "foot thing"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Then cover the thing up with some moleskin and tape while you run on it tomorrow.

Just take the pain.

You'll live.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Then when you get home, just to increase your pain tolerance ... tear the cover off and let that sucker burn.

I'd poke a small hole (with a sterile/clean needle) to drain the fluid.   However, I'd use the needle (or even better a scalpel oor exacto-blade) to cut a very small trianglular hole (or two) to let any additional fluid drain as well.  

(A small round hole from a needle wil easily close up again, and then any new fluid will not be able to drain - a triangular hole will not close, and as you walk on it, you'll squeeze any remaning or new fluid out)

... keep in mind, I'm not a doc (well - not that kind of a doc ) so this is purely based on my experience with blisters (from the infantry and from kendo) - and not any medical training.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Pop the fukkin' thing, put some mole skin on it and stop being a puss.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep on running an wait for the endorphines.

Good luck in your xcountry meet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd poke a small hole (with a sterile/clean needle) to drain the fluid.   However, I'd use the needle (or even better a scalpel oor exacto-blade) to cut a very small trianglular hole (or two) to let any additional fluid drain as well.  

(A small round hole from a needle wil easily close up again, and then any new fluid will not be able to drain - a triangular hole will not close, and as you walk on it, you'll squeeze any remaning or new fluid out)

... keep in mind, I'm not a doc (well - not that kind of a doc ) so this is purely based on my experience with blisters (from the infantry and from kendo) - and not any medical training.

What he said plus a moleskin sized to fit and then tape it. Won't even know its there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pop the fukkin' thing, put some mole skin on it and stop being a puss.

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, ok I'll be serious. With a cotton thread and needle, pierce through and through the blister close to the good skin. Pass all the way across the blister and out the other side. Cut the thread off with about 1/2 inch sticking out each side. Better do it about 3-4 places on a big one like that. the thread will slowly wick the juice out and let it heal. Don't peel it off even when you think it's well. Let it come off on its own.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's a good Idea. I didn't think about that, but when I pop them, I usually stretch the hole out pretty big so that shit can drain out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
poke, drain fluid, put alcohol on affected area.  Nothing you do tomorrow will hurt as bad as that so you don't have to dread it.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Normally I drain the suckers with an insulin needle (I've probably had 75 since last spring), but this one feels very firm but not like there's liquid in it. I think I'll have the coach take a look at it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Normally I drain the suckers with an insulin needle (I've probably had 75 since last spring), but this one feels very firm but not like there's liquid in it. I think I'll have the coach take a look at it tomorrow.

Well then what in hell did you ask us for?  Really - don't wuss out.  And good luck on your run.  Let us know how you did.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

HOLY CRAPOLA     75 since last spring???

You're the king of blisters. Why are you asking us for advice - you should be writing teh definitive FAQ on blisters!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAPOLA     75 since last spring???

You're the king of blisters. Why are you asking us for advice - you should be writing teh definitive FAQ on blisters!  

This one is different.

I just tried draining it with my insulin needle. Either it's really deep or something odd is happening.

I did manage to get a lot of fluid out of the left side.

And no, I'm not being a pussy about this, guys. I've had lots of experience with blisters - this is much different than usual. Not unbearable, but I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I got nothin'  

Just to sound really stupid  ... are you SURE it's a blister?  Could it perhaps be some kind of bruise that you somehow got?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]
You need a bigger needle.  I stuck a number 18 ga. in a cyst a year ago.  Man what a fucking mess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Calvin Coolidge, who succeeded Harding into the presidency, saw tragedy hit his family. His teenaged son was playing tennis and developed a blister on his toe. The blister went untreated, became infected, and eventually turned to blood poisoning, which killed him.

ky.essortment.com/presidentialass_rekt.htm

Coolidge's 16 year old son Calvin died of sepsis (a bacterial infection) on July 7th, 1924. He had developed a blister on his toe after a game of tennis. A few days later, he was dead.

www.doctorzebra.com/prez/g30.htm

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#23]
If all else fails, do like the person in the Boston marathon did. Run a few hundred yards,  call a cab, and get dropped off before the finfish line!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Calvin Coolidge, who succeeded Harding into the presidency, saw tragedy hit his family. His teenaged son was playing tennis and developed a blister on his toe. The blister went untreated, became infected, and eventually turned to blood poisoning, which killed him.

Coolidge's 16 year old son Calvin died of sepsis (a bacterial infection) on July 7th, 1924. He had developed a blister on his toe after a game of tennis. A few days later, he was dead.

You are MEAN!!!  

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I can turn into a hypochondriac without your help, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Advice from a former XC runner... dont pop it or take the skin off untill after your race.

If it is hard, no liquid, and its not blood, leave it alone and it'll go away.

First thing next week... go get better fitting running shoes and proper socks. Spend your gun fund if you have to.

Edited to ask: How many miles a week are you running in training?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Advice from a former XC runner... dont pop it or take the skin off untill after your race.

First thing next week... go get better fitting running shoes and proper socks. Spend your gun fund if you have to.

It's not the shoes/socks, it's the tape. My shoes fit good, it's relatively unavoidable unless my coach was the God of Taping Feet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the shoes/socks, it's the tape. My shoes fit good, it's relatively unavoidable unless my coach was the God of Taping Feet.

Are you saying he's taping your feet wrong? and why tape 'em at all?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
1. Drain as best you can

2. Apply Triple Antibiotic (or reasonable facsimile, but not just Neorporin) liberally (see "sepsis infection" above)

3. Cover with a layer of Spenco 2nd Skin Dressing (I think it's still covered by patent; reasonable facsimiles may not be available)

4. Cover Spenco 2nd Skin Dressing with moleskin

Note: You can get $10 - $15 "blister kits" from any pharmacy or sporting goods store that contain all the aforementioned products.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you saying he's taping your feet wrong? and why tape 'em at all?

To alleviate the pain of shin splints.

He does it correctly, sometimes it just makes me get blisters much worse than others.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
After triple antibiotic and a draining of the bottom and left parts this morning, it feels better. I'm leaving now for the meet. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#33]
How is the tape causing it.  Is the tape loose and rubbing?  Somethins rubbing and if the tape is not moving seperate from the skin then it must be socks and shoes.

I would put ointment on it and then cut a big donut out of mole skin to put over it. Then cut a big piece of moleskin to put over the donut so that the shoe would ride more on the donut than the blister.  I ain't a doctor but when your feet hurt it makes your whole body hurt.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#35]
This is probably too late, but just cut your foot off.  Nip this problem in the bud.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
How is the tape causing it.  Is the tape loose and rubbing?  Somethins rubbing and if the tape is not moving seperate from the skin then it must be socks and shoes.

I would put ointment on it and then cut a big donut out of mole skin to put over it. Then cut a big piece of moleskin to put over the donut so that the shoe would ride more on the donut than the blister.  I ain't a doctor but when your feet hurt it makes your whole body hurt.  Good Luck

I believe it is a function of the tape catching on the socks, because sometimes when I take my shoes off the socks will be a little bit stuck to the tape.

Anyways, my coach did an awesome job bandaging it up.

He doubled over two pieces of gauze and put them above and below it, and taped them in place.. Then he wrapped the thing in this stuff that looks like a beige roll of foam. All of this was then covered in medical tape. The only downsides were that I had a huge bandage on my foot and I developed a very small blister (and made another a little worse) on my right pinky toe. The main blister itself worsened but nothing like it was last night. I should be able to run fine Monday without too much done to it.

It hurt during the race, enough to slow me down a bit, but it wasn't terrible.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Wuss.  Pop it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Just lance it open, drain, then quartzite it shut with a red hot buck knife from the fire.
You will run like hell. or not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Most importantly: Did you win?
tony
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Most importantly: Did you win?
tony

Oh, no way. I'm not even good at cross country. Or any sports.

But I am not bad enough to get last. This is my first season of CC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Shit, that'll buff out...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Don't worry, it will probably turn out the same way as the one on your right palm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#44]

1. Take an insulin needle and suck out the juice.

2. Inject tincture of benzoin into the site.

3. Remind yourself it's not an ACTUAL lit cigar being pressed into your foot.

4. Run like you used to.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

4. Run like you used to.

Wtf is tincture of benzoin?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4. Run like you used to.

It's a surgical adhesive. The legit way to use it is to brush it onto your feet and tape them. THere is a bond from your skin to the tape. The subversive, no-one-would-actually-say-they-do-it-that-way is to drain a blister adn inject a little bit of the benzoin back into the void. It adheres the inner skin of the blister back to your foot. IT BURNS BAD, like I said, like a lit cigar....

I've used it, done it once to myself and countless times to Marines in my unit. It gets them back up and humping. The Batt. surgeon had me do a LARGE blister on a Warrant Officers foot, he humpes the next day, no prob.

I've used duct tape to tape my feet too, that worked well too.

Seriously reconsider your footwear and sock choice though. The first few distace humps I did blistered my feet to shit, I got Thorlo socks and some new boots and didn't need to tape my feet again. Avoid cotton socks, they don't wick moisture away from the foot, wool socks(not coarse) are best.

The pic you posted doesn't look like it has filled with fluid(dry blister) yet, pics can be deceiving, but the best way would be to build a little moleskin donut around it so it's not the point of impact, the moleskin is. The second skin stuff works like a charm, total home run, I used those too.

Shin splints suck ass.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#47]
www.bandaid.com/footcare.shtml

Band Aid Blister Block !

Fan freaking tastic product!

Cut off ALL the blistered skin, apply this,  leave on for several days.   It will absorb all fluid and form a protective, tough, and comfortable covering.   You will be able to walk, run, hike on it immediately.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

4. Run like you used to.

It's a surgical adhesive. The legit way to use it is to brush it onto your feet and tape them. THere is a bond from your skin to the tape. The subversive, no-one-would-actually-say-they-do-it-that-way is to drain a blister adn inject a little bit of the benzoin back into the void. It adheres the inner skin of the blister back to your foot. IT BURNS BAD, like I said, like a lit cigar....

I've used it, done it once to myself and countless times to Marines in my unit. It gets them back up and humping. The Batt. surgeon had me do a LARGE blister on a Warrant Officers foot, he humpes the next day, no prob.

I've used duct tape to tape my feet too, that worked well too.

Seriously reconsider your footwear and sock choice though. The first few distace humps I did blistered my feet to shit, I got Thorlo socks and some new boots and didn't need to tape my feet again. Avoid cotton socks, they don't wick moisture away from the foot, wool socks(not coarse) are best.

The pic you posted doesn't look like it has filled with fluid(dry blister) yet, pics can be deceiving, but the best way would be to build a little moleskin donut around it so it's not the point of impact, the moleskin is. The second skin stuff works like a charm, total home run, I used those too.

Shin splints suck ass.

+1 for this method, but I use super glue.  I tore off the outer layer of skin from the bottom of my big toe when it slipped down a stair as I was going up.  This was the night before we were to climb a 14er.  The skin was still attached, kinda like a flap, so I washed out the wound, dried it and super glued the flap of skin down.  Worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Snipey..."heat" (you said it was warm) is a sign of infection. Please be careful with this one!

1. Wash your hands with disinfectant soap and water.
2. Put on latex gloves.
3. Clean the blister and surrounding area using a disinfectant soap or solution.
4. Sterilize the tip of a needle by soaking it for at least three minutes in a disinfectant solution or heating it until it glows red, then cools.
5. Make a small puncture at the base of the blister. Leave the roof of the blister attached so it can continue to protect the skin.
6. Use a gloved finger to gently push the fluid out.
7. Apply antibiotic ointment to a piece of gauze and cover the wound. Avoid drying products such as alcohol.
8. Cut a hole the size of the blister in a piece of moleskin.
9. Cover the blister with the moleskin so that the blister rests in the middle of the hole and the adhesive sticks to the skin around the blister.
10. Replace the bandage daily and check for signs of infection: heat , pain and swelling on or around the blister, pus, red streaks radiating from the blister, or fever.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#50]
If it's that different,  I'd get it checked and maybe try the  get-a-cab-to-drop-you-off-at-the-end trick.
I always use superglue on spots that feel like they're gonna blister. Wick some CA glue on there and let it harden.  Makes the skin like a tough shell.  It feels a little weird but works great.....  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top