Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 6:58:41 PM EDT
I don't want that Canadian Labatt's crap that says Guinness on the bottle, but is really brown pisswater. Though, better than most other beers I must say...
I WANT REAL GUINNESS STOUT!
Where can I get some? I looked around, no joy.
Help an ARFCOM brother out will ya?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
All kegged and canned Guinness is brewed/packaged in St.James Gate (Dublin.)

Bottled? Forget it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Dublin....so hop a plane before the storm hits..and bring my back a few pints
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You rock.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always drink used motor oil, same thing...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You're gonna pay for that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Bottled Guinness is also from St James Gate.

The only non-Irish product is the Extra Stout.  Which is produced and bottled in Canada.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The only non-Irish product is the Extra Stout.  Which is produced and bottled in Canada.

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm...

...you are as correct as an NPR reporter covering the AWB ban.

I hope you get better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
DUBLIN

Once you get it there you will think all the rest is crap where ever you buy it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm...

I hope you get better.

The bottled Guinness Draught is from Ireland.  The Extra Stout isn't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Used motor oil is too good to describe a pint of Guiness; it's more like stale cofee brewed in bilge water with soap bubble to top it.  It gives you the nastiest shit from hell in the morning, too.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhhhhhhmmmmmm...

I hope you get better.

The bottled Guinness Draught is from Ireland.  The Extra Stout isn't.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Guinness only makes 'Extra Stout.' The 'Draught' is another word for their nitrogen 'widget' and tap system which is a presentation method. There is only one Guinness Stout, not two, per your claim.

I invite you to call the brewery Monday morning. Or John Kerry. Because, after all, he knows e v e r y th i n g.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Used motor oil is too good to describe a pint of Guiness; it's more like stale cofee brewed in bilge water with soap bubble to top it.  It gives you the nastiest shit from hell in the morning, too.

Heathen!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heathen!

Yeah, I love you too, Maynard.  Whenever you come to Seattle, I'll buy you pints of those thickened sewage water...ahem....I meant I'll buy you pints of those creamy stouts.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Guinness only makes 'Extra Stout.' The 'Draught' is another word for their nitrogen 'widget' and tap system which is a presentation method. There is only one Guinness Stout, not two, per your claim.

I invite you to call the brewery Monday morning. Or John Kerry. Because, after all, he knows e v e r y th i n g.

From the Guinness web site...

GUINNESS® Extra Stout is the strongest GUINNESS® in taste and has the highest alchohol content. Originally brewed for export to overseas markets such as Africa, it featured higher alcohol and carbonation levels as well as a more "hoppy" flavor to help the product survive long sea journeys. To the day, this strong oaky flavor is maintained at 19th century levels to provide a rich, flavorful drinking experience for beer connoisseurs and those who carry the love of this type of GUINNESS® from their home countries.

Your GUINNESS® Extra Stout in bottles should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

GUINNESS® Draught is one of the top selling imported draught beers in America. A unique mix of nitrogen gas and carbon dioxide creates the swirling liquid that tumbles, surges and eventually separates into the black liquid and the characteristic smooth creamy head that sits atop the perfect pint. With an initial malt and caramel flavor, GUINNESS® Draught finishes with a dry roasted bitterness. Low in carbonation, it is always better served cold.

GUINNESS® Draught is best served at 42.8F.

Now you can enjoy the perfect pint of GUINNESS® straight from the bottle - so there's no need for a glass. Enjoy the authentic taste of GUINNESS® anytime, anywhere thanks to another clever little invention, the "rocket widget."
Once the bottle is opened, the "rocket widget" creates the famous surge and forms the signature creamy head right inside. Every time you take a drink from the bottle the "rocket widget" refreshes the surge so that you get the perfect pint taste with every sip. Ingenious.

Your GUINNESS® Draught in bottles should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

Now you can enjoy the perfect pub pint at home thanks to the ingenious "widget" that is inserted in all GUINNESS® Draught cans.
The "widget" is actually a plastic device which sits at the bottom of the can. When the can is opened, the widget releases a mixture of beer and nitrogen that creates a surge of bubbles. When you pour it into a glass these bubbles eventually settle to form the famous tight white head creating the perfect pint experience from the pub right at home.

Your GUINNESS® Draught in cans should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

The Extra Stout is manufactured in Canada, along with Harp.  Everything else is manufactured at St James Gate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
DUBLIN

Once you get it there you will think all the rest is crap where ever you buy it.

This is absolutely true.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't want that Canadian Labatt's crap that says Guinness on the bottle, but is really brown pisswater. Though, better than most other beers I must say...
I WANT REAL GUINNESS STOUT!
Where can I get some? I looked around, no joy.
Help an ARFCOM brother out will ya?

Find a bar with Guinness on tap.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#17]
They brew Guiness in Aus too...same recipie etc as in Ireland.

Duno if it tastes the same cos it tastes crap to me.

Its like Vegemite mixed in beer
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]
There are a few bars/pubs I have been to around the U.S. where their pints taste just as good as when I was in Ireland. I guess that they go through enough of it and store it differently that the rest, and the bartender knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
All kegged and canned Guinness is brewed/packaged in St.James Gate (Dublin.)

Bottled? Forget it.

Is this really true?  Guiness is my absolute favorite beer.  ANd I did not know this.  It's frickin made in Canada, just like Fosters?!  Boy, I must be a moron.  I will from now on drink only canned.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I always figured Guinness tasted like someone pissed on some tree bark, and then ground that up and made beer with that...

That's just me, though.

And yah, I like stouts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the Guinness web site...

GUINNESS® Extra Stout is the strongest GUINNESS® in taste and has the highest alchohol content. Originally brewed for export to overseas markets such as Africa, it featured higher alcohol and carbonation levels as well as a more "hoppy" flavor to help the product survive long sea journeys. To the day, this strong oaky flavor is maintained at 19th century levels to provide a rich, flavorful drinking experience for beer connoisseurs and those who carry the love of this type of GUINNESS® from their home countries.

Your GUINNESS® Extra Stout in bottles should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

GUINNESS® Draught is one of the top selling imported draught beers in America. A unique mix of nitrogen gas and carbon dioxide creates the swirling liquid that tumbles, surges and eventually separates into the black liquid and the characteristic smooth creamy head that sits atop the perfect pint. With an initial malt and caramel flavor, GUINNESS® Draught finishes with a dry roasted bitterness. Low in carbonation, it is always better served cold.

GUINNESS® Draught is best served at 42.8F.

Now you can enjoy the perfect pint of GUINNESS® straight from the bottle - so there's no need for a glass. Enjoy the authentic taste of GUINNESS® anytime, anywhere thanks to another clever little invention, the "rocket widget."
Once the bottle is opened, the "rocket widget" creates the famous surge and forms the signature creamy head right inside. Every time you take a drink from the bottle the "rocket widget" refreshes the surge so that you get the perfect pint taste with every sip. Ingenious.

Your GUINNESS® Draught in bottles should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

Now you can enjoy the perfect pub pint at home thanks to the ingenious "widget" that is inserted in all GUINNESS® Draught cans.
The "widget" is actually a plastic device which sits at the bottom of the can. When the can is opened, the widget releases a mixture of beer and nitrogen that creates a surge of bubbles. When you pour it into a glass these bubbles eventually settle to form the famous tight white head creating the perfect pint experience from the pub right at home.

Your GUINNESS® Draught in cans should be chilled for a minimum of three hours before serving.

The Extra Stout is manufactured in Canada, along with Harp.  Everything else is manufactured at St James Gate.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I always figured Guinness tasted like someone pissed on some tree bark, and then ground that up and made beer with that...

That's just me, though.

And yah, I like stouts.

I thought the VERY SAME THING the first few times I had it. Then I went to Dublin and it is the best tasting beer I have ever had. I still refuse to drink it unless I am actually in Dublin (it aint that often).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Is Guinness really good for you?

Medically, possibly. Its alcohol is low enough to have a relaxing effect. The bottle-conditioned product may produce a mild laxative effect due to the live yeast. Too many bottles of the bottle-conditioned product can have an extreme laxative and diuretic effect, which is not good for you.
Lovely day for a GuinnessThere is medical folklore about Guinness and stout, in general. "In some countries, stout is seen as an aphrodisiac, or as a beneficial bath for newborn babies." (MJBC p 177) Since most research indicates the aphrodisiac effects are primarily psychological, there may be truth to the former. Too many may have an adverse affect on performance, however.

Of course, if you feel as good as I do after enjoying and Guinness, then there is no question that it is good for you!

But isn't Guinness high in calories?

Not especially. "Guinness is not notably high in calories..." (MJBC, p 177) This refers to the draught, bottle-conditioned and draught flow (tm) product, which are fairly low in alcohol. Calories in beers come from the alcohol and the residual sugars. The higher the alcohol, the higher the caloric content.

Where did the "Guinness is Good for You" come from?

Guinness's advertising agency (S. H. Benson) did some market research during the 1920's to find our what people liked about Guinness. People responded that they felt good when they had their pint and the slogan was born. The slogan is still used in some countries (notably in Africa) that do not regulate advertising claims as zealously as the U.K. and North America. Some have even posted that the advertising features athletes and imply that there athleticism can be attributed to Guinness.

Guinness has been dispensed in hospitals, correct?

Yes. In England, post-operative patients used to be given Guinness, as were blood donors. Sadly, this is no longer the case in England. In Ireland, Guinness is still made available to blood donors and stomach and intestinal post-operative patients. Guinness is known to be high in iron content.

What about the old wives tale about nursing mothers drinking Guinness?

Current medical research suggests that pregnant women and nursing mothers should totally abstain from any form of alcoholic beverage. In pregnancy, it can lead to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, characterized by slow development. Alcohol does pass in the mother's milk, so nursing mother's should avoid Guinness and any other form of alcohol. I have received numerous comments from readers that I am being overly cautious and that Guinness is still given to nursing mothers in Ireland and brown ale to mothers in Belgium

Guinness is high in vitamin G, isn't it?

There is no vitamin G! However, the folklore surrounding Guinness has often lead to it being called vitamin G. Recommended Daily Allowance: 3 pints a day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Ireland is the size of Maine and has over 9000 pubs. Other than the cost of beer, I would call it a drinker's paradise. I could recommend the Dingle Pub (surprise) in Dingle. If you can't get over the pond to get real Guinness, I have a suggestion. Enjoy a great (and genuine) Irish Whiskey. Black Bush, Jameson, Paddy, or Bushmills.  Hard to go wrong there. Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top