Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 1:06:56 PM EDT
Okay, I know that handguns are used over 2 million times a year in defensive situations, most of the time just to scare an attacker off. But how often are rifles used for self defense and home defense? What about AR's and other semi assault rifles?

[Devil's Advocate ]I hear the argument that AR's shouldn't be banned because they are effective tools for home defense, but how often does that occur? My guess is about as infrequently as they are used for crime. Therefore, they should be restricted.[/ ]

So, what would you say to refute the above statement?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Only heard of a rifle being used on a bear breaking down a door to get into a house..  338 one hit, feel back just outside of door.
*edit b/c I have a bad memory*
But I have seen my dad when I was about 6 use a rifle to scard off some people on your court. Just had to show it to them and they left.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Okay, I know that handguns are used over 2 million times a year in defensive situations, most of the time just to scare an attacker off. But how often are rifles used for self defense and home defense? What about AR's and other semi assault rifles?

[Devil's Advocate ]I hear the argument that AR's shouldn't be banned because they are effective tools for home defense, but how often does that occur? My guess is about as infrequently as they are used for crime. Therefore, they should be restricted.[/ ]

So, what would you say to refute the above statement?[/quote]

I would have to say that you are a
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If the person had the time or inclination, I'd show them balistic testing that shows just how much better the .223 is than a 9mm for home defense.  Ammo Oracle would probably be my first stop since they did a good job of it there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey I am not trolling, that is the opinion of a friend of mine who is somewhat anti-gun, and I didn't have a response to him for it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]

High Volume Shootout:  The Harry Beckwith Incident

Situation: A gun dealer faces robbers, again. Tonight the odds are seven to one against him.

Lesson: When the wolf pack has you, an armed citizen needs high capacity defensive weapons.

Harry Beckwith's Guns in Alachua County, Florida, is probably my favorite gunshop. It isn't just that smell of gun oil, cigar smoke, and old, worn leather that reminds me of the gun shops of my youth. It isn't just the fabulous Luger collection that resides there, nor the excellent buys, especially on collectibles. Harry's place has a karmic touch of the armed citizen about it that you don't find in the atmosphere of your average firearms emporium.

The revolver always visible at Harry's belt is nothing new for the gunshop habitude. Sometimes he wears a modest Charter Arms .44 Bulldog, and sometimes a Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 Special with the fabulous Tiffany silver grips that you normally only see in the coffee table gun books.

No, what's different about Harry's is that as soon as you step out of your car in the spacious parking lot, you notice the bullet holes in the concrete outer walls of the building. Inside you see more holes in the walls.

There's a photo of a rifle champion next to his bullseye target and there's a hole in the bullseye - a REAL hole, which also pierces glass and backing.

"I like to tell folks that I put that one there intentionally," says Harry with a puckish grin. At 68, Harry admits that his recollection is a bit cloudy, but he figures that in his 35 years in the retail gun business he has experienced right at 35 robberies and burglaries. He proudly notes that in all those rip-offs and heist attempts, only two firearms were not recovered.

He also remembers the only three times when the thieves were unfortunate enough to face him. Each time, it evolved into a gun battle. Each time, he shot them and they didn't get to shoot him.  

more at the linky.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say that anyone who uses a handgun over a rifle/shotgun for home defense when they have a choice, isn't very with it. The shotgun or carbine offers far better terminal performance. And with the tactical carbine, you have a 30 rd capacity instead of 15 with a 9mm. Perhaps even more important is accuracy. Some people can't hit a bull in the ass at 7 yards with a pistol, but can shoot the hair off a gnats ass with a rifle.

Many people have grown up with pistols in the home for protection and they just can't get that out of their system. But more and more, people are beginning to understand the advantages carbines offer in that role. So more and more people are starting to use them for that purpose. A pistol is only good enough to use as a means to fight the way to a rifle. It should never be used as a primary weapon in a setting where something else can be used. In the home, the carbine or rifle should by all means be utilized. Anyone who would willingly choose to use a pistol over a long gun when one is available isn't very smart.

That's what you tell your semi-anti buddy.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
High Volume Shootout:  The Harry Beckwith Incident

Situation: A gun dealer faces robbers, again. Tonight the odds are seven to one against him.

Lesson: When the wolf pack has you, an armed citizen needs high capacity defensive weapons.

Harry Beckwith's Guns in Alachua County, Florida, is probably my favorite gunshop. It isn't just that smell of gun oil, cigar smoke, and old, worn leather that reminds me of the gun shops of my youth. It isn't just the fabulous Luger collection that resides there, nor the excellent buys, especially on collectibles. Harry's place has a karmic touch of the armed citizen about it that you don't find in the atmosphere of your average firearms emporium.

The revolver always visible at Harry's belt is nothing new for the gunshop habitude. Sometimes he wears a modest Charter Arms .44 Bulldog, and sometimes a Smith & Wesson Model 60 .38 Special with the fabulous Tiffany silver grips that you normally only see in the coffee table gun books.

No, what's different about Harry's is that as soon as you step out of your car in the spacious parking lot, you notice the bullet holes in the concrete outer walls of the building. Inside you see more holes in the walls.

There's a photo of a rifle champion next to his bullseye target and there's a hole in the bullseye - a REAL hole, which also pierces glass and backing.

"I like to tell folks that I put that one there intentionally," says Harry with a puckish grin. At 68, Harry admits that his recollection is a bit cloudy, but he figures that in his 35 years in the retail gun business he has experienced right at 35 robberies and burglaries. He proudly notes that in all those rip-offs and heist attempts, only two firearms were not recovered.

He also remembers the only three times when the thieves were unfortunate enough to face him. Each time, it evolved into a gun battle. Each time, he shot them and they didn't get to shoot him.  

more at the linky.

That was a good read. (I read it at the linked site)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would say that anyone who uses a handgun over a rifle/shotgun for home defense when they have a choice, isn't very with it. The shotgun or carbine offers far better terminal performance. And with the tactical carbine, you have a 30 rd capacity instead of 15 with a 9mm. Perhaps even more important is accuracy. Some people can't hit a bull in the ass at 7 yards with a pistol, but can shoot the hair off a gnats ass with a rifle.

Many people have grown up with pistols in the home for protection and they just can't get that out of their system. But more and more, people are beginning to understand the advantages carbines offer in that role. So more and more people are starting to use them for that purpose. A pistol is only good enough to use as a means to fight the way to a rifle. It should never be used as a primary weapon in a setting where something else can be used. In the home, the carbine or rifle should by all means be utilized. Anyone who would willingly choose to use a pistol over a long gun when one is available isn't very smart.

That's what you tell your semi-anti buddy.

-CH

Well said, Charging_Handle.

Before I took Urban Rifle at Thunder Ranch, I didn't have a clear understanding of this fact.

But don't be surprised if folks come on the thread and argue about it.  There is a lot of ignorance about fighting with a carbine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top