Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
My prediction:

1 year of glee at the prospect of owning firearms that we should always have been able to own.

Followed by…

A Lifetime of complete restrictions, registration, and possible prohibition of the weapons we own.

Trust me, I am happy that next week  the law will die. However we have all lived for the past 10 years under the shelter of a toothless law that satisfied many by deceiving them into believing that we could not purchase semi-automatic “military style” weapons.  I believe that the AWB was in some respects a blessing because its very existence on paper deprived Feinstein and many others of political capital necessary to put further restrictions in place. People thought they were banned and thus thought that they were safe and further restrictions were unnecessary.

The sunset, with all its media attention, will bring about a renewed and much more powerful effort. Increased polling will take place on the issue, and no matter how many fire missions we can execute, any “scientific” poll will illustrate the truth that by and large most people, acting on purely emotional pretenses, do not think that anyone should be able to own a scary black rifle.

Politicians are not blind to these things and our phone calls and letters will not trick them into thinking we are a larger group than we actually are. The general public does not understand us. They do not understand the Second Amendment or the implications of eroding our freedom with more restrictions. Try explaining to any of the many “soccer moms” and you will see how difficult it is.

Furthermore, with all of the talk about how ineffective the ban was, fueled by many of our own efforts, the next one that makes it to the senate floor will not be incomplete. It will indeed set out to truly ban military style weapons, and aim to do it permanently.

Our best bet was that the general public did not care because they did not know. The sunset has once again made this a relevant issue and the anti’s will not quiet down.

We must remain vigilant and committed and not think for a moment that this is the end. It is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I drew my line in the sand long ago.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Fine with me! THen we can finally get this thing to the supreme court after Bush packs it with conservatives and get this over with once and for all. One way or another the next four years are going to be among the most "interesting" times in American history.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
STFU, quit whining and get everyone you know registered as a Repub.

D.
AZEX (sick of Chicken Littles)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That would be fine too.  
Can you imagine the shake up in Congress, this time?
It was pretty big last time.
It would be ENORMOUS, this time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with one thing, we will only be REALLY REALLY safe from stuff like this when the Supreme Court hands down a decision in our favor.  Until then, it's a question of who controls the Presidency and the Congress.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Furthermore, with all of the talk about how ineffective the ban was, fueled by many of our own efforts, the next one that makes it to the senate floor will not be incomplete. It will indeed set out to truly ban military style weapons, and aim to do it permanently.

Our best bet was that the general public did not care because they did not know. The sunset has once again made this a relevant issue and the anti?s will not quiet down.

We must remain vigilant and committed and not think for a moment that this is the end. It is just the beginning.

The ordinary every day sheeple and soccer mom will not be truly concerned with our problems until they are personally affected by the law, such as when we had the '92 L.A. riots. Many of the sheeple & soccer moms decided to get a gun that day, of course they couldn't because of Kali-fornia 15-day wait(its down to 10 days currently).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
This will fly over in a week, unless those protesters in thongs start coming out again
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope and pray that the continuing education of america through alternative news sources will continue, and when the predicted blood bath resulting from the AWB sunset does not appera, peapole will realize they have been duped.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My prediction:

1 year of glee at the prospect of owning firearms that we should always have been able to own.

Followed by…

A Lifetime of complete restrictions, registration, and possible prohibition of the weapons we own.

Trust me, I am happy that next week  the law will die. However we have all lived for the past 10 years under the shelter of a toothless law that satisfied many by deceiving them into believing that we could not purchase semi-automatic “military style” weapons.  I believe that the AWB was in some respects a blessing because its very existence on paper deprived Feinstein and many others of political capital necessary to put further restrictions in place. People thought they were banned and thus thought that they were safe and further restrictions were unnecessary.

The sunset, with all its media attention, will bring about a renewed and much more powerful effort. Increased polling will take place on the issue, and no matter how many fire missions we can execute, any “scientific” poll will illustrate the truth that by and large most people, acting on purely emotional pretenses, do not think that anyone should be able to own a scary black rifle.

Politicians are not blind to these things and our phone calls and letters will not trick them into thinking we are a larger group than we actually are. The general public does not understand us. They do not understand the Second Amendment or the implications of eroding our freedom with more restrictions. Try explaining to any of the many “soccer moms” and you will see how difficult it is.

Our best bet was that the general public did not care because they did not know. The sunset has once again made this a relevant issue and the anti’s will not quiet down.

I agree the fight will never end. The Democrats want to disarm the public so they can push their totalitarian government agenda.

I don't think they are going to get what they want, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fine with me! THen we can finally get this thing to the supreme court after Bush packs it with conservatives and get this over with once and for all. One way or another the next four years are going to be among the most "interesting" times in American history.

I think so to..
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I really hope that gun owners have had enough of kissing the governments ass and will ignore/boycott/defiy any new "ban" or law that infringes on our Rights under the 2nd Amend.   I really can't believe that people didn't tell the government to "fuck off" with the first ban but I hope that they'll get their balls back and stand up and say it if a new ban is ever put into place.  WE tell the government what to do, the government doesn't tell us what to do unless we roll over and let them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a MOLON LABE hat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#14]
The next Civil War will spark as a result of firearm confiscation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree and I am buying and building as much as I can as soon as I can as if the elections go to the Democrats I will bet you only have about 4-months before a new law is shoved down out throats!  If the Republicans keep control, we are still not safe but at least we have a chance to defeat this....

Everybody needs to be watchful and we need every vote we can get!

I just wish I had more money to invest as the next few months may be the last chance to get some of the stuff you ever wanted...  I keep looking at my list and wondering what I am missing....  Want to help...

AR-10T:  Rifle (have- need to thread barrel for silencer)
AR-10A4:  Convert to CAR-10 format (have CAR stock and need to thread barrel)
AR-15 M4A3 carbine:  (all done on Bushmaster Post-ban as I have a NFA LL)
AR-15 Pistol:  Curently non-ban Bolt Action but have semi-auto 11.5-in A3 upper ready to assemble
AKM:  post-ban SAR-1 and need to thread barrel and add Hungarian side folder (Folder ordered)
PM11-9:  post ban Cobray M11/9 that I need to remove the welded stock and thread the barrel

Beyond the above:  

I am building three FALs (2 as rifle 1 as a carbine)
I am building 3 80% AR-15 lowers as normal AR-15 lowers
I am building 1 80% lower as a dedicated 9mm
I am building two AMD-65 kits as pistols
I am building one PMKMS kit as an AKMS (AK-47 underfolder)
I have a Bren MkI I am planning to build as a semiauto if I get the time
and... I have a 1919a4 kit and sideplate I need to get done as who knows if belt feds could be next...

Now, with these you factor in that new hicap mags are going to be available again and there are a few others like a good old customized 10-22 that I want to add and I have come to the conclusion that I am going in debt in a pretty big way...  If I am wrong and the ban never comes back I will have a lot of cool toys I don't really need but if I am correct and a new ban comes I will have most of my bases covered!

Yea, I am paranoid!==>
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Let me tell you a story about a boy named DriftPunch who thought in 1996 that the Democratic party would turn into a superparty, and the Republicans would become trivial.   I sure was right on that one...  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

The lies we see right now are just the beginning. In the future, every crime in which a gun is used will be described as an "Assault Weapon which was previously illegal to own", thus implying it would never have happened. Any Arab-American who buys a gun will be described as "easy gun access to terorrists".

Just an hour ago I saw FOXNEWS report the Brady bill will expire on Monday.

The onslaught is going to be unbeleivable, but we must fight.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I blame alot of this crap on our parents and grandparents for not kicking the shit out of the government back in '34 when they passed the NFA. That was the first step down the slippery slop of gun control and it should have been nipped in the bud back then so we'd not have to deal with all these stupid laws today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#19]
The Degenerate Left is great at using Scare tactics to guide the 85% of the population that HAS NO FUCKING CLUE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Cold Dead Hands.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#21]
1 year of glee?  I'm counting on at least 4 of them starting November.

I've got one year to get outta CA, then three years of stock piling, and should worse come to worse...boating accidents.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Nope - as long as Repubs control the House and Senate - they will turn their energy to individual STATE LEGISLATURES.

State-by-state... slowly but surely.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Gun owners should be a privledged class, like the Homos and Minorities.  We should be pandered to, GOD DAMN IT!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Have there been any Supreme Court Cases in which past bans where challenged?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The American revolution was sparked by attempted weapons confiscation.
And its my sense, that if it ever comes to civil war in USA, it will be the most horrifying and heinous event in US history.

If the past 10 years teaches us anything, it is that we MUST do all we can politically to stop such garbage legislation... in so doing, we can say we've prevented civil war...  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I drew my line in the sand long ago.

+1

Bring on the total ban.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I agree with everything gvidon212 said... although I take it from a slightly different angle; since I basically learned everything I know about the ar15 world amidst the AWB (I'm 21yrs old), I am just happy to add a few diff. configs to my black rifles, and maybe a few high cap mags for my USP.

However, with talks of a very strong BATF legislation in the works, and everyone across the board screaming bloody murder about the AWB sunset... I also fear there is so much more to lose. Ultimately, the uniformed public, and worse, the uniformed MEDIA, equates assault weapons with machine guns and automatic fire... Most ppl cant distinguish, and moreso, are shocked that citizens can readily buy an ar-15 type rifle, and are appalled by the fact that civies can even buy automatic weapons, too (lol, they dont even hear "ATF" or "permit" when i explain the conditions, just 'anyone can own a machine gun')

next 4 years will be intense, +1 to the previous poster who said this

Santi
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The American revolution was sparked by attempted weapons confiscation.
And its my sense, that if it ever comes to civil war in USA, it will be the most horrifying and heinous event in US history.

I'm not so sure.  I'm discouraged by the number of AWB compliant rifles that people own.  And look at how many people registered their rifles in Kali.  

It's hard to to take the COME AND GET EM crowd seriously when they're holding AWB compliant guns.

How will they make a BIG stand, when they can even make a small stand?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Pretty much what I've learned is that what ever you keep the Feds from taking from you, it's a whole nuther ball game with the State or locals, which seems to be able to crush your nuts with wild abandon be it property rights or gun rights (note: do not exist in CA and several other states at least in the practical sense).
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#31]
On the federal level it will be all about this November's elections. If we do well in the House and Senate, the antis won't have a chance to vote on another ban until January 2007. By that time, I would think that even the Democrats will start to clue in to the possibility that gun control is not a popular proposition that will get them elected.

Of course, here we are after ten years of the Democrats losing power due to gun control votes. The last successful Democrat acknowledges as much and can name specific instances where it cost them elections and STILL they try to ride that tired old horse one more time.

It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Bart keeps trying to grab the cupcake hooked to an electrical charge. ZZZZZZZZZT! Ow! ZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Ow! ZZZZZZZT! Ow!

They just don't grasp why they keep getting shocked.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Gun owners should be a privledged class, like the Homos and Minorities.  We should be pandered to, GOD DAMN IT!

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Can we remember this when Bush signs the next ban?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can we remember this when Bush signs the next ban?

You have no class.

If the Antis couldn't even BUDGE a simple extension of an existing ban through the House or Senate - why in the world do you think a NEW ban (and probably more sinister one) would ever make it to GWBush's desk???

GWBush did NOTHING but give miniscule lip-service to this ban (which was favored by 70% of the voting ignoramuses out there). He did NOTHING to indicate he would ever even ASK for another AWB. What makes you think he'd even want to BEGIN to go down that road anew???

As long as the Republicans are in charge of Congress, I guarandamntee ya' there will be NO "next ban".

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I bought adopted a MOLON LABE hat attitude.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Because I read the presidential names attached to previous bans and I take note of the R or D next to it. His daddy was stupid enough to do it, I think he will follow.
Just let it alone and in 4 years you owe me a beer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

As long as the Republicans are in charge of Congress, I guarandamntee ya' there will be NO "next ban".

Well, they were in charge of the SENATE, and they managed to pass a bunch of anti-gun crapola, thankfully the House held strong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Because I read the presidential names attached to previous bans and I take note of the R or D next to it. His daddy was stupid enough to do it, I think he will follow.
Just let it alone and in 4 years you owe me a beer.

Hell, I'll bet a rifle that GWB won't sign any type of semi-auto ban in the next four years if re-elected. Plain jane A2 20" sound good?

Beer will work as well if you aren't that confident about it...

Well, they were in charge of the SENATE, and they managed to pass a bunch of anti-gun crapola, thankfully the House held strong.

They had 51 out of 100 votes in the Senate. That is being "in charge" of the Senate in the same way that you are "in control" of your car even though you are driving with your knees. It only takes one or two Republicans to not agree and you are no longer in charge.

10 Republicans voted for the ban. 41 voted against it. 42 Democrats voted for the ban. Six voted against it. One did not vote.

Almost all of this year's Republican Senate candidates are opposed to the ban. If Republicans won every Senate race and we counted Republicans who had made no public stance on the ban as antis, we would still see the vote above change from 52-47 to 45-54.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My prediction:

Followed by…

Well, we better call our Congressmen then to make sure the ban stays and your scenario doesn't come to pass.  We can still pull defeat from the jaws of victory.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
The widespread use of the internet gives us more power than we had 10 years ago.  Even back in 1999, internet forums were still largely unknown and therefore allowed the CA ban to pass without much resistance.  MD defeated a CA-like ban this year, and I like our chances even at the state levels with our ability to communicate with and mobilize on our politicians.

The more difficult thing to do is repeal laws.  Those chances are next to zero unless SCOTUS sets the record once and for all.    
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn man, we can't even get thru this one without someone predicting the next one!
PARTY POOPER
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The widespread use of the internet gives us more power than we had 10 years ago.  Even back in 1999, internet forums were still largely unknown and therefore allowed the CA ban to pass without much resistance.  MD defeated a CA-like ban this year, and I like our chances even at the state levels with our ability to communicate with and mobilize on our politicians.

This is a fine point.  I wonder seriously if the AWB would have passed in '94 if the net was the way it is now.  Remember, it was only by one vote.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Party pooper I may be.  But even with these thoughts on my mind I will put together my brand new post Sunset, post-ban, preban with a hurrah and have a hell of a time at the range. Hopefully others will be there with their balck rifles too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
What makes you think we'll get anything but cardboard conservatives from bush? Remmember, Ron Raygun gave us Sandra Day oconner.  The republicrate smokescreen has got a whole bus of you folks faked. God help us all while we let Bush sell us down the river faster that Kerry or Clinton ever could
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Hope your kids dont need food or health care
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't disagree that Bush would sign a new bill in a second. But  he has done us a big favor by staying silent on the matter. The political implications of him vetoeing such a bill would be disastrous. Either way he is the best bet we have in this race and not voting for him on this issue would be foolish.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:

hr

You are a fool.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#48]
If we wan't to own evil guns, we best get out the out the word "no more gun control"
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#49]
As kong as bush and his kind throw us a bone like this now and them we will always be getting screwed in the big picture. National ID is coming with the 911 commition report, but hey, at least    we get a flash hider and a pre-ban stock.  The awb is small potatoes compared to whats coming. Just dont forget that more freedoms are lost during a war and a republican administration (so-called conservative),Than at any other time
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Hope your kids dont need food or health care...blah blah blah...Just dont forget that more freedoms are lost during a war and a republican administration...blah blah blah...

10 points for having read the talking points.

-20 points for forgetting to mention that John Kerry is a Vietnam war hero.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top