Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2004 7:58:12 AM EDT
So since Bushmaster caved in and settled that lawsuit from the Malvo victims, are gun owners going to boycott them?

ETA: Ok, Calm Down everyone. I asked the question because of a quick news flash from a coworker, and our internet here at work is censored, so we didn't have the info to know what's what - so I asked a simple q of the board.
I don't want anyone to get a freakin stroke over this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually plan on getting a Bushy in the next few months now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Why, because they paid a settlement rather than risking a huge loss at the hands of the courts and the media?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Please read my sigline.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Bushmaster Responds to Brady Groups False Claim of Victory
Thursday September 9, 2004 9:24AM est

Windham, Maine -- The Washington DC Brady Group would have you believe they won some kind of victory! The Brady Group brought this lawsuit not for the victims, but for their anti-gun agenda. The Brady Group asked for the settlement conference after reviewing all the evidence they knew they could not be successful in court and they wanted to stop paying lawyer fees.

The Brady Group sent a second tier lawyer to the settlement conference with nine demands on Bushmaster regarding business practices and Bushmaster denied them all. We then gave the Brady Group our statement that we support the BATF licensing requirements to be a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) holder and our support for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) safety programs, and they accepted our statement. We did not agree and would not agree to change the way we do business or make any additional demands of our customers. We were emphatic that Bushmaster did not commit any wrong doings.

The attorney for our insurance company was at the settlement conference and informed us that about half of our policy limits had been spent on trial lawyers. It was the insurance company’s position that all of the limit would be spent on this case, and therefore turned the funds over to Bushmaster to use as we saw fit removing the insurance company from the case. Our choice was to continue spending it on trial lawyers or turn it over directly to the victims’ families with no funds going to the Brady Group for their legal fees.

We felt the compassionate thing to do was give it to the victims’ families, not because we had to but because we wanted to. The Washington DC Brady Group should learn what compassion is really all about!

Bushmaster strongly believes and vigorously supports the rights of citizens to own and use firearms, and the settlement of this case in no way compromises that stand. The Brady Group’s attempt at claiming a victory over firearms manufacturers is a hollow one with no substance. Their attempt to eliminate gun rights of citizens has failed legislatively and will continue to fail with these frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers.

Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.

Kind of respect that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Try not to blame Bushmaster for what their insurance company did.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell no I'm not boycotting them. That's fuckin' stupid. Period. I don't turn my back on one of our greatest allies for 2nd Amendment rights...and one of our best firearms suppliers. They have my continued, 100% support.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting assessment. I was quite dismayed that they (and the gun store, frankly... although they were guilty of negligence more than anything) gave in! I know it probably save them a lot of money but ... now there's precedent. Someone can get rich off of a gunmaker even though the gunmaker isn't at fault.

It's going to end up just like the tobacco legal wars... Who am I kidding, it will be worse.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a time to encourage others to buy from Bushmaster.  

They've earned the support.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
No.  That would be boycotting for the wrong reason.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Why? Bushmaster took it up the ass when S 1805 was pulled from consideration. We made out pretty good on the deal, but at the expense of firearms manufactuers. If anything I think the least we can do is give them our buisness and follow-up by pushing for a renewed "immunity" bill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#15]
No, I'd rather give them more money to make up for the loss, so...

I'll be buying two lowers this week.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Please read my sigline.

EGGS ACT LY!

I should give you a slappy smiley for asking such a stupid question!
...ah hell....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So since Bushmaster caved in and settled that lawsuit from the Malvo victims, are gun owners going to boycott them?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Bushmaster is an ardent supporter of your gun rights, and by punishing them for their business decision is like biting the hand that feeds you.  Ridiculous.  If anything, they should receive our support right now.  Why would you even consider this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No way!

Bushmaster's decision was the best thing that has been done in a lawsuit in a very long time!

Read their explanation!

Eric The(GettingReadyToBuySomeMoreBushmasters)Hun

+1 I've never been on the Bushy bandwagon, but I've gotta say I might hop on to support them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Boycott?  Why?  Did they sell us out?  Did they compromise our rights?  I don't see how they did.  

The Brady Group sent a second tier lawyer to the settlement conference with nine demands on Bushmaster regarding business practices and Bushmaster denied them all. We then gave the Brady Group our statement that we support the BATF licensing requirements to be a Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) holder and our support for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) safety programs, and they accepted our statement. We did not agree and would not agree to change the way we do business or make any additional demands of our customers. We were emphatic that Bushmaster did not commit any wrong doings.

The attorney for our insurance company was at the settlement conference and informed us that about half of our policy limits had been spent on trial lawyers. It was the insurance company’s position that all of the limit would be spent on this case, and therefore turned the funds over to Bushmaster to use as we saw fit removing the insurance company from the case. Our choice was to continue spending it on trial lawyers or turn it over directly to the victims’ families with no funds going to the Brady Group for their legal fees.

Looks to me like they stood their ground, denied the Brady Group's demands, and instead of giving any money to the Brady Group to cover their legal fees, gave the money to the victims' families.

Now, while I think that those two dumbshits Malvo and Mohammad should have been the ONLY responsible parties, I think this is a "good" thing.  That's what insurance policies are for, and Bushmaster used their insurance policy in the wisest way they could, considering the situation.  This is NOT a Smith and Wesson type situation here.  Bushmaster signed no contract with the .gov, or put any extra strains on their customers.  

I just got thru purchasing a couple of pre-ban 20" government profile barrels from Bushmaster.  I'm SBRing a lower here pretty soon, and will get my 14.5" barrel from Bushmaster as well.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I going out to buy a new one in a couple days!

I am going to get a new Armalite also!

Not only to celebrate the AWB sunset but because my birthday is a couple of Wednesday's away!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]
No.  Great product. Great people.  They will continue to get thousands of my hard earned cash.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#22]
How much money did Boeing pay to the victims and survivors of the 9/11 attacks?  I mean, If Boeing wouldn't have made those planes, then 3000+ innocent people would be alive today...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No, I'd rather give them more money to make up for the loss, so...

I'll be buying two lowers this week.

It was all insurance money.  Nothing out of Bushmaster's pocket, from what I see.

BUY FROM BUSHMASTER WITH CONFIDENCE!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I like that response from Bushmaster.
Better for the $ to go to the victims than those Brady people.
Although it does set a bit of a bad precident for the future. But it's the best of a bad situation I think.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to go out of my way to make sure my next AR is a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm boycotting them until they offer an M4 upper with 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I plan to make an order from them this week.

so what do'es that tell you
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Boycott? Hell NO!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Bushmaster was presented with several demands to change how they sold firearms to the public, and stood fast in their refusal to give in to that kind of demand. They saw an option to give money to the families of those killed instead of the lawyers, and they took it. They told the Brady group to go pound sand. And YOU are describing thier actions as 'caving in' and talking about boycotting. Wow. What a great way to stand behind a company which has always, and continues to, support your right to keep and bear arms.  You might as well go work for the Brady group directly. People like you do as much damage to RKBA as they do.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#31]
It's a shame they had to pay for something they were not responsible for.  I would not want to drag this through a public trial for the liberal press would have a field day with lies and exaggerations.

I'm looking forward to buying from them in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#32]
hell no.  As a matter of fact, my next ar purchase will be ANOTHER bushmaster.

Already have their 20th anniv rifle.  And it is a sweet shooter.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yeah, I like that response from Bushmaster.
Better for the $ to go to the victims than those Brady people.
Although it does set a bit of a bad precident for the future. But it's the best of a bad situation I think.

I don't see how it's a bad precident. Win, lose or draw it still wouldn't have stopped the antis from filing lawsuit after lawsuit or appeal after appeal. It's an out of court settlement, happens all the time and all too often; it just demonstrates how fucked up the tort system is. There was no admission of guilt or wrong doing by Bushmaster, nor was there any finding or determination of liabilty by a judge or jury.

Bushmaster basically said, "look, we don't have the time to deal with this bull shit anymore". "Here's $500,000; take it or leave it". "Right now we have better things to do... like manufacturing rifles the way God and Eugene Stoner intended us to do".
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I JUST ORDERED A BM UPPER
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#35]
im ordering 3 lowers on monday, 2 are going to be bushmasters
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Business decision/survival. They did what they had to, got rid of this stupid lawsuit, and remained a viable company. I think we ought to support them even more, to help replace what they lost.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Tort reform, and laws to pre-empt this type of lawsuit.

Go Bushmaster!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Interesting assessment. I was quite dismayed that they (and the gun store, frankly... although they were guilty of negligence more than anything) gave in! I know it probably save them a lot of money but ... now there's precedent. Someone can get rich off of a gunmaker even though the gunmaker isn't at fault.

It's going to end up just like the tobacco legal wars... Who am I kidding, it will be worse.

This would  have been a $10 million dollar case if it had been WON.

Bushy is a business, not a legal defense fund. If they have a choice between a $2million expense and a $10 million or more expense, they will take the $2 million expense.

Leave precedent-setting for the NRA and NSSF...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#39]
No way
Own Bushys and will get more
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#40]
without reading this thread or more info... I wouldn't...not for simply paying a settlement to avoid a result which could have been far more damaging and would have cost nearly the same or possibly more in attorneys' fees.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#41]
"Hell no I'm not boycotting them. That's fuckin' stupid. Period. I don't turn my back on one of our greatest allies for 2nd Amendment rights...and one of our best firearms suppliers. They have my continued, 100% support."

Yes, I agree.

What I suggest to Bushmaster, put away, on the shopping cart, for us, their supporters (customers or not) to contribute an amount of our choosing via credit card, to show them our financial support.

$5, $10, $50, $100, any amount would be a show of respect for a fine company that has contributed to the firearms community.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#42]
NO WAY!!!

I can't believe you would start a thread about this. You obviously have no idea how much bushmaster has done for the firearms community, how much they speak out about gun rights, nor have you gone to bushmasters web site to read their statement. And as more than one person has pointed out, the financial reasonings.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Planning on buying some lowers in the next few weeks(as many are) and will make as many Bushmasters as possible.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#44]
There you go.

Quoted:

The Brady Group sent a second tier lawyer to the settlement conference with nine demands on Bushmaster regarding business practices and Bushmaster denied them all.
We did not agree and would not agree to change the way we do business or make any additional demands of our customers. We were emphatic that Bushmaster did not commit any wrong doings.
Our choice was to continue spending it on trial lawyers or turn it over directly to the victims’ families with no funds going to the Brady Group for their legal fees.
We felt the compassionate thing to do was give it to the victims’ families, not because we had to but because we wanted to.

Bushy is NO Smith & Wesson.  I just had the big brown Christmas truck drop off some stuff from them, I think it's time to make another order.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]
It would be pretty fucking sad if Bushmaster survives one of the most reported and notorious shooting sprees in the nation's history...they survive the Brady Center and Violence Policy Center...they survive the blood-sucking lawyers....

...only to be put out of business because we stop patronizing them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not only to celebrate the AWB sunset but because my birthday is a couple of Wednesday's away!

Yeah?  Mine too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Ill be buying a NEW Bushy just to support our cause!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Long Live Bushmaster!!!

The only thing that bums me is the some of my $$$ that was spent on my Bushy may have gone to pay these greedy bastards (the lawyers AND the families) off. Bushmaster didn't shoot anyone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No. Its a reality that lawsuits get settled all the time because its cheaper to settle than to fight. Nothing to get in an uproar about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I just went to their website and ordered some "pre-ban" parts for one of my "pre-ban" rifles.  

No boycott here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top