Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 7:34:30 PM EDT
....for admitting to configuring an "assault rifle" prior to the ban expiring?

I would imagine the only case law that would be similar would be someone being prosecuted for admitting to selling alcohol prior to prohibition ending.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder.

I figure about 80% of the guys here are chomping at the bit to post pics of their illegally configured rifles before the sunset date, but they're held back by that nagging 'what if ...'
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
IANAL but I'd guess it would be like admitting that you drank during Prohibition after it ended.

Any of our resident lawyers know for sure?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be dumb to let anyone know you ever did anything so reckless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
... What if you're only rebuilding existing legal prebans already in possession?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Post pics of all your illegal shooters. Right here, right now. Go on, do it.

I don't think there is any way to make my .38 illegal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wonder.

I figure about 80% of the guys here are chomping at the bit to post pics of their illegally configured rifles before the sunset date, but they're held back by that nagging 'what if ...'

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course, you could be prosecuted for anything!  Especially if the District Attorney wants to make a name for himself.  

It's probably not likely you'd be convicted at this late juncture, but it could cost you financially.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody stupid enough to A) Configure their rifle illegally (remember, we're the "law abiding" gun owners we wrote our reps about) and B) Brag about it or post photos is begging for trouble.

Winston Wolf's pic doesn't count.  I was told by a sheriff and a gun law attorney that possessing the parts, say a complete "post-ban" lower and "pre-ban" upper, that ARE NOT assembled is perfectly legal.  The AWB is not subject to an "intent to illegally manufacture" like posessing a semi-auto AR15 and an M16 parts kit is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If i could afford the parts, I would be highly temped.

Oh... if I didn't live in CT, i'd be even more tempted  

- BG

(But i'm building my pre-ban soon... so I get to party.... kinda )
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Give er shyte Clyde, here you go:

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't they have to have proof that the pictured gun is a post-ban?  Most pics dont get detailed enough to show SN's.  It could be a pic you found on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Give er shyte Clyde, here you go:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/AILapua/AR10A4CLEO.jpg

better hide your dog man!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Winston Wolf's pic doesn't count.  I was told by a sheriff and a gun law attorney that possessing the parts, say a complete "post-ban" lower and "pre-ban" upper, that ARE NOT assembled is perfectly legal.  .

... Not only that, half the fellas that came over to help me out were LEO
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Sure, if they had proof you had an illegal assault weapon tonight i.e. videotapo, cop saw it, I think they could still theoretically prosecute you even if they did not charge you until next week because it was a crime at the time.

Hmmm..........I like the prohibition analogy but let me raise the stakes.......

IF a slave escaped from a slave State to a free State in 1860, and then returned to the slave State AFTER and the end of the civil war could he/she be prosecuted for escaping?

My guess in NO,  since the law allowing slaves and punishment for their escape would no longer be valid.

I see no difference with this law since it wil cease to exist next week.

All you legal types please enlighten me if I am incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll paraphrase Bill Klinton...it depends on what your definition of an assault weapon is...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#18]
You could have built the thing two years ago if you would have shut up

The real question is: can I now tell them to F#$k off

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top