Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 7:00:08 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am having trouble with my fiancee's 98 2.5l Outback and wondered if you had any advice.

The issue is a cylinder 3 & 4 misfire.  I only get it when traveling at higher speeds (70-75+ mph).  It is a one time event and then fine.  I don't even notice a change, just the CEL.  It never happens at low speed driving (city, stop and go).

Trying to fix this, I have replaced:

new wires
new plugs
new distributor block
2 cans of 44k

I suspect it might be the injectors, but I am not keen on spending $400+ on new injectors or $100+ to have them professionally cleaned if that isn't the issue.  Is there a way I can "soak" the injectors in cleaner to see if that helps?  I have a suspicion that cylinders 3 & 4 may run hotter and that is the issue with it not being all clylinders, but that is a guess.

I would appreciate any ideas!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I see allot of P0303 & P0304 ( Cyl 3 & 4 Misfires) on late model Subbies .
90% of the time its wires . For some reason they don't like aftermarket wires .
Go factory parts on these , and use NGK or ND plugs .
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, thanks! those are my exact codes.  I did get the codes before the new wires, and replaced with Bosch wires.  The plugs were installed by the dealer, so I would guess they use OEM plugs.  

I will get Subaru wires tomorrow...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it's the ejector, I'd check the hammer spring first and maybe replace the firing pin. OH, you said C a r, not CAR, never mind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't think it's the ejector, I'd check the hammer spring first and maybe replace the firing pin. OH, you said C a r, not CAR, never mind.

LOL, sorry...I know it's not guns, but I figured you guys would know.

I haven't had many problems with ejectors, but have had to replace the extractor on my 1911 and Glock... :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL, I was just being, well, being ME.  I put a bottle of STP Fuel Injector Cleaner in my gas tank about every 5th fill up, keep the "goop" off of the injectors.  We've got a '99 Dodge Caravan with the 2.4L and haven't had a problem with the injectors yet, knock on wood.  If it was an air cooled VW bug or an older American car I'd be more help but I'm not too keen on new cars like I am the older ones.  Does this car use a coil pack? If it does I'd have em' checked out.  High speed cut out normally is an electrical/ignition problem, not so much a fuel problem especialy since you said it's only happening with 3 and 4, if it was fuel(aside from injector problems) it seems like it would affect all the cylinders but then I'm talking more about a carborator and not injection.  Heck, put a bottle of Injector Cleaner in it and run it for a few miles, all you'll lose is about a buck and a half if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It has a distributor block, on which one terminal was corroded, so I replaced that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top