Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 6:56:35 PM EDT
WOOOHOOOO!

FROM CNN.COM TONIGHT!!!

I CAN HEAR THE DEMS SQUEALING FROM HERE!!!!

WOOT!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Congress will not vote on an assault weapons ban due to expire Monday, Republican leaders said Wednesday, rejecting a last-ditch effort by supporters to renew it.

"I think the will of the American people is consistent with letting it expire, so it will expire," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican, told reporters.

The 10-year ban, signed by President Bill Clinton in 1994, outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons. A clause directed that the ban expire unless Congress specifically reauthorized it.

Some Democrats and several police leaders said President George W. Bush should try to persuade Congress to renew the ban. Bush has said he would sign such a bill if Congress passed it.

"If the president asked me, it'd still be no ... because we don't have the votes to pass an assault weapons ban and it will expire Monday and that's that," House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican, told reporters later.

DeLay said the ban was "a feel-good piece of legislation" that does nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals.

However, House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, an Illinois Republican, said he would consider allowing the House to vote on legislation only if the Senate acted first.

Appearing at a news conference, chiefs of police from the District of Columbia; Los Angeles, California; Atlanta, Georgia; and Seattle, Washington; predicted an increase in violent gun crimes if the ban does expire.

"Our streets, our homes, our citizens and our police officers will face great danger unless the federal ban on assault weapons is renewed," said Charles H. Ramsey, the police chief in the nation's capital.

In March, the Senate voted to add the ban to a bill that would have immunized gun manufacturers from liability suits stemming from violent gun crimes. But the Senate voted 90-8 against the final bill after the National Rifle Association urged its defeat.

NRA President Wayne LaPierre said in an interview with The Associated Press that his group is so confident that Congress won't renew the ban that it is not spending any more money on ads this year opposing it.

He said supporters of the ban could not muster the support needed to bring it to a vote in the House because several Democrats attribute losing their majority in the House in 1994 over votes then in favor of the ban.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
what ban? wait, there is a ban? WTF? Where have i been?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
GUN BAN ENDS
MURDER AND MAYHEM TO FOLLOW
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
[:DD]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
CLINTON GUN BAN ENDS SEPTEMBER 13, 2004

You're kidding right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
CLINTON GUN BAN ENDS SEPTEMBER 13, 2004  

NO SHIT!!!!!!!!!!???!?!???!?!??!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!?

WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME!!!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!?!?!!?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
[quopte]CLINTON GUN BAN ENDS SEPTEMBER 13, 2004

Really????

Well, damn, should I remove all the evil features from my AR10 until the 13th?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Does this mean I can get new AUG's and Sig 550's on the cheap?

Can I shave the firing pin on my Bushmaster to make it full-auto now?

Can I have the barrel on my SAR-1 cut down to 4 inches and have an underfolding stock?

Can I order guns online and have them shipped to my house without using a dealer?

Can I get a silencer for my .38 S&W revolver and not have to worry about filling out paperwork?

Can I put a bayonet on my Glock?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm building a fully-automatic bazooka.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm building a fully-automatic bazooka.

SWEET!!

I didn't know those would be legal too!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
New huh?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#13]
What's up with Denny Hastert's waffling???  I HATE ILLINOIS!!!  Boy's, it ain't over until monday!  I am just enough of a believer in conspiracy and pessimism that I won't feel good until we pass that magic hour!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't wait - I need another bullet hose!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward from September 13, 1994, today looked VERY far away and we had no hope of the ban really expiring. At the time everyone I knew was saying that they took the republicans for a ride on the sunset clause. Everyone knew that they would pass an extension or get rid of the sunset clause buried in some midnight signed legislation.

Those were dark days with no light at the end of the tunnel until the '96 elections when we wiped the floor with ousted democrats. Even then it was a long time ago and we have seen the AR15 aftermarket take off like gang busters. There is more stuff available now to bolt on an AR15 than any other tool known to man.

Hell yes, it's been a long time coming. We may actually be entering the "golden years" of the AR15 rifle.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]

New huh?

Popcorn.         Check
Drinks.           Check
subscribe        Check
refresh button Check

Good to go!!!! I got all night lets get it on!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
so now I'll be able to spray fire from the hip when I go to the range?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
God bless the true patriots in the senate and congress......I cannot say any time in my life when I was more proud to be an American.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for your interest in the upcoming sunset of the 1994 Crime Bill.

So will you be taking advantage of this new opportunity to own one of the several weapons which will be 'flooding the streets'?  I mean after all, ordinary men and women will be transformed overnight into ruthless gangster rapists upon the sunset, right?

[rant]Certainly though, no law abiding citizen would need a sniper configured AR-15.  Oh, yes, didn't you know that .223 is the round of choice to snipers worldwide.  Why just today (and I know we all already know this) Bushmaster (bless their hearts) settled due to a 'sniper rampage'.[/rant]

In all honesty, so you came in on the short-bus on this one; your heart is in the right place.  Time to get your debit card out!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
If you listen very hard you can hear the wailing, gnashing of teeth and lamentation coming from the VPC & other "gun control" advocates. "Gun control", makes you think the buggers are alive and in need of discipline
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
God bless the true patriots in the senate and congress......I cannot say any time in my life when I was more proud to be an American.....

I stand with you bro!

+1

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
We need to take the momentum from this and keep going until we restore the 2nd to what it's supposed to be.. if we give at all after this, the anti's will exploit it, we must remain vigilant!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, New around here...so I haven't posted 8,000 times...I saw the news and thought it was good...

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#25]
once again a new member with a single digit post count has decided to educate us all
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Be nice, the guy's on our side and may not know how much this community has worked to support the ban expiration. Welome to the board ZTex. Get your defenses up quick, the folks around here are ruthless but after you kick a few teeth in, they'll lay off.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the warm "welcome" to the new guy...I have only been a shooter since 1975 and an AR15 owner since 1992, so I may not know everything there is to know.

But I do know how some reputations get started and some of you here confirmed it.

Way to go....

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Free at last! (for now).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top