Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 5:23:47 PM EDT
ROTC SMP contract to become a contracted cadet "The secretary of the army may order me to active duty as a enlisted soldier for 2 years if I fail to complete the ROTC program and am disenrolled after the point of obligation."

I am not planning to fail but there are a a lot of guidelines you have to follow and if you fail one there is a good chance you are out. It just worried me that if I couldn't cut it they would send me out for 2 years of active.

it also says the the sec. of the Army may release me without any notice at any time, in the interest in the ARMY. So basically if I don't look good out there, look out 2 years active bye bye college degree!

scary stuff!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes, when you join the armed forces, you have to help fight wars. I'm sure that is in your contract somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You finally noticed?

I have heard of few cadets that got canned for reasons beyond their direct control.  It is usually that they are screw-ups and have made bad decisions.  That having been said.  The Army can screw you over if it really wants to, or even if there is a paperwork screw-up.  Keep all Army related papers and do everything you are supposed to.

You will come out alright.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Stop being a pussy and suck it up.  We'll give you just a little longer to grow up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much standard boiler plate.  Just FYI as an officer you serve at "leisure of the president" meaning you can get fired anytime you screw up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
disenrollment is very difficult at least at my school. You have to F$#@ up pretty bad to get disenrolled, like overweight, discipline problems, failing (more than one semester), not attending lab or class without a reason. Lots of stuff. I just finished warrior forge (LDAC) (camp) so if you have any questions email/IM me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sometimes, when you join the armed forces, you have to help fight wars. I'm sure that is in your contract somewhere.

Wait WHAT???  I think I realized that when we did the SRP for Iraq and I became a 11bravo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i am pretty sure as a contracted cadet the taxpayers are funding your school. If you fail out there should be no problem going enlisted for 2 years to pay them back.

Having workedwith many of the OFFICERS that graduated. i'd say it isn't THAT difficult.

That would make sense, you take their money you owe them. But ROTC is not paying for my college, the guard would give me tuition assitance no matter if I was ROTC or not, as long as I got C's
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By
The Army can screw you over if it really wants to, or even if there is a paperwork screw-up. Keep all Army related papers and do everything you are supposed to.

You will come out alright.

]

yeah I agree I am trying to play it real safe this time, I have seen too many people get screwed because they trusted recruiters and didn't go through their contract line by line.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Stop being a pussy and suck it up.  We'll give you just a little longer to grow up.

What the fuck is that suppose to mean?

1911 is doing exactly what he should do, asking a bunch of questions is a good way to ensure you dont get screwed. He is playing it smart (being in the military will do that to you)

Grow up?? yeah grow up and just sign the first thing your recruiter gives you!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Mike45ACP
You need to grow up and start acting like a man, too.

By the way, are you home on leave now, what's the story with your recent enlistment?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#12]
A back injury on a field march ended my ROTC career back near the end of GW1.  I fought like hell to stay in, but hte army docs would not give me a waiver for a previously unknown structural quirk in the low back (I have an "extra" vertebra or transitional S1-2 joint, not a fun thing with a 80 - 100 pound ruck on when your legs go numb and you lose feeling in them).  ANyway, I got medically disenrolled and then got a letter ordering me to Active duty for 2 year.  Problem was  that with the back condition I could not pass a physical, so the Army was stuck - either I get a medical waiver from the Army docs and they let me finish ROTC or I am medically inelegible and I get out.  Tokk afew letters and a doctors deposition, but they eventually worked it out.

Really crushed me as I was only a few months from commissioning when I got hurt.  But I got over it.

You also should find in that contract the notice that anytime in the first 2 years of service as a Officer you can be dropped if you develope a condition that would have made you inellegible for commissioning.  Once you hit 2 years they have to board you out.

All this is circa 1990, so it might have changed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top