Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 1:14:41 PM EDT
I sent Stephanie Hearseth (South Dakota) an email back in July.  Got this response this morning.  Timing kind of strange, huh?  I was happy about the second to the last paragraph, but the "sportsman" lead in got my eyes rolling.

Dear GIJoe,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the assault weapons ban.   I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Growing up on my family’s farm near Houghton and the Sand Lake Wildlife Refuge in the northeast part of the state, I appreciate that outdoors activities are a great South Dakota tradition and vital to our state’s economy. Our wonderful culture of recreation and outdoors activities contributes greatly to our high quality of life, and in Congress, I will continue to work on behalf of our sportsmen and women. We are all lucky to live here, and have an obligation and opportunity to preserve the nation’s best quality of life for future generations.  Guns are a part of South Dakota and I will fight to protect the rights of responsible gun owners in our state.

I was pleased to receive an “A” rating from the NRA earlier this year because of my support of the rights of gun owners.  As a defender of our Second Amendment rights, I support allowing law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to carry firearms for personal protection. I oppose federal firearm registration and licensing and attempts to limit gun owners’ rights through bans on types of firearms or ammunition.

I oppose extending the assault weapons ban because I believe that gun violence, not gun ownership, should be the focus of legislation that affects our Second Amendment rights.  

Again, thank you for contacting me.  If I can be of further assistance or provide additional information, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Stephanie Herseth

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
She talks the talk. Time will tell if she walks the walk.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
When you e-mail senators etc., you should merely ask for their opinion about a certain subject without hinting at what you believe.  That way they will either try to stay on the fence (which will be very obvious), or they will just be stuck with giving the entire truth.

But if she got an A rating by the NRA she's probably legit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Your democratic congresswoman seems to have a better handle on the meaning of the 2nd ammendment than any of North Dakota's national represenatives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top