Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:14 AM EDT
Another Fucking Hurricane....category 5 nonetheless, and it looks like it's headed right for my town...Fort Myers!!  I may not have a house next week, this really sucks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Cat 5 in bad juju.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I really feel for you guys in Fl you've had enough already.
I pray you guys get a break.

GM
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn!  I'd make sure all my guns, gear, & valueables were locked down, somehow, somewhere I could trust.  You guys sure have had a rough go of it.  I can't imagine 3 hurricanes in a month.  

GOOD LUCK!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Run for it dude! Seriously!

Come up to Michigan, everyone else from Florida has!

That is the only positive of living in Michigan, no hurricanes. By the time they get up here they are just dreary worn out rainy days!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If this thing swings west and hits New Orleans as a Cat 5... oh my god...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, poor Florida. That state has had enough natural disasters this year to last it a while. It seems when you get beaten and battered around that the licks just keep coming sometimes.

I'm not sure what will happen to it once it makes landfall, but it's possible it may move over some of the same areas that Frances effected. I got 4+ of rain from it. I know there was flooding and tornadoes spawed by the remnants all the way from Florida and Georgia northward through South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and probably other areas. Getting another big rain maker coming on the heels of Frances will be bad business not only for the coast, but well inland also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It's time to get the hell out of there!!!

You can always move up north like Minnesota or North Dakota
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I feel sick.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
That really sucks... You FL people just can't get a break.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, just think about the misc. debris that there will be for this next storm to throw around.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I understand that the wind at around 700 feet up is gusting to 200.  Thus, the eastern eyewall is one giant medium strength tornado.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm... Sodom... Gamorrah.... Florida... has a nice apocalyptic ring to it doesn't it?

Seriously, I feel for you guys.. hope you keep the important things safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#13]
YEP...Here we go again!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the worst, strongest, biggest etc storm you can get?  If it is a cat 5 now, is there a point where it turns into a 6, 7 etc?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He could, but then he'd be dodging tornadoes all Spring and Summer and buried to his ass in snow during Winter. Hehe.

Things are bad all over it seems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What's the worst, strongest, biggest etc storm you can get?  If it is a cat 5 now, is there a point where it turns into a 6, 7 etc?

5 is the biggest
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]

I couldn't be any more upset.....................  

NEVER tempt fate like that.

I've discovered that nothing is ever so bad that it couldn't get even worse.  

GOOD LUCK - I'm crossing my fingers that this one is going to veer off and not even hit Florida!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Colorado is real nice this time of year.

I can't imagine putting up with three hurricanes in a row. Hell, I can't imagine going through ONE!

All you guys down that way take care and read up on SteyrAUG's preparedness thread.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys are getting you asses kicked down there!!!

WTF?

And no offense...but exactly who can you get upset at?  The weather man?

Good luck...I'll say a prayer for ya.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

5 is the highest number.  Anything over 155mph is Category 5.

The most powerful storm on record was Typhoon Tip in 1979 with max sustained winds of 190 mph.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's time to get the hell out of there!!!

Blessed holy land of the north!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hmmm... Sodom... Gamorrah.... Florida... has a nice apocalyptic ring to it doesn't it?

I wonder when the quake is going to hit SF.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The most powerful storm on record was Typhoon Tip in 1979 with max sustained winds of 190 mph.

Hurricane Camille was every bit as bad as that. "Officially" listed at 190 mph, but it is widely believed that the winds were in excess of 200 mph:

"Hurricane Camille is a bench mark in the American hurricane experience.  Although Camille hit an area that had a relatively small population by today's standards, the region was sufficiently built-up enough to provide a first hand lesson of what a hurricane of maximum intensity is capable of. One thing remains as true today, as it was 34 years ago after the storm hit: Hurricane Camille is the most intense storm of any kind to ever strike mainland America in modern history.

To put Hurricane Camille in scientific perspective, the storm represents bad luck - more than any meteorological extreme. Although rare, several other category 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic, and supertyphoons in the Pacific, have been as intense. The big difference however, was Camille made landfall when at this rare intensity. The resulting property damage was so complete, that sections of the Mississippi coast seemed to vanish."

"Due to Camille's extreme intensity at landfall, meteorological conditions (winds, tides, pressure...etc.), were impossible to obtain. The National Hurricane Center estimates Camille had sustained winds of 190 mph with gusts in the 210 - 220 mph range. A Transworld oil rig platform tower that was abandoned as the hurricane approached, recorded gusts to 172 mph until failure. It has been estimated that from Biloxi to Gulfport, wind gusts were in excess of 180 mph, while from Long Beach to Waveland, sustained winds likely exceeded 200 mph.

The lowest barometric pressure recorded on land in Camille was 909 mb (26.85) at Bay St. Louis. This is the second lowest barometric pressure ever measured in the United States. Only the 1935 Hurricane produced a lower pressure in the middle Keys of 892 Mb (26.35). Several reports of pressure under 915 Mb (27.00), were reported by survivors near the eye."

"Hurricane Camille produced the highest hurricane tidal surge ever recorded in the United States. According to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Mobile District 1970), a still-water, high water mark, of 22.6 feet above mean tide, was measured inside the VFW Clubhouse building in Pass Christian, Mississippi."

Fuck THAT.

Sat through Hurricanes Erin and Opal in Pensacola a month apart back in 1995. Erin was a weak 2 and Opal was a very strong 2, almost a 3,  at landfall (At one time she was actually briefly a 5 while well out in the gulf.)  Those were bad enough. I sincerely hope and pray that Florida and  especially A2sights are spared a cat 5. My prayers are with you guys.

Good Luck and God Bless.

SG
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#25]
A lot of Ivan's energy will be dumped, appropriately enough, on the imprisoned island of Cuba.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colorado is real nice this time of year.

I can't imagine putting up with three hurricanes in a row. Hell, I can't imagine going through ONE!

All you guys down that way take care and read up on SteyrAUG's preparedness thread.  

Of course Fl doesn't have to worry about beign snowed in during the einter though.

But it's a dry cold.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hurrican Camille was oficially listed at 190 mph, but it is widely believed that the winds were in excess of 200 mph:

"Hurricane Camille is a bench mark in the American hurricane experience.  Although Camille hit an area that had a relatively small population by today's standards, the region was sufficiently built-up enough to provide a first hand lesson of what a hurricane of maximum intensity is capable of. One thing remains as true today, as it was 34 years ago after the storm hit: Hurricane Camille is the most intense storm of any kind to ever strike mainland America in modern history.

To put Hurricane Camille in scientific perspective, the storm represents bad luck - more than any meteorological extreme. Although rare, several other category 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic, and supertyphoons in the Pacific, have been as intense. The big difference however, was Camille made landfall when at this rare intensity. The resulting property damage was so complete, that sections of the Mississippi coast seemed to vanish."

"Due to Camille's extreme intensity at landfall, meteorological conditions (winds, tides, pressure...etc.), were impossible to obtain. The National Hurricane Center estimates Camille had sustained winds of 190 mph with gusts in the 210 - 220 mph range. A Transworld oil rig platform tower that was abandoned as the hurricane approached, recorded gusts to 172 mph until failure. It has been estimated that from Biloxi to Gulfport, wind gusts were in excess of 180 mph, while from Long Beach to Waveland, winds likely exceeded 200 mph.

The lowest barometric pressure recorded on land in Camille was 909 mb (26.85) at Bay St. Louis. This is the second lowest barometric pressure ever measured in the United States. Only the 1935 Hurricane produced a lower pressure in the middle Keys of 892 Mb (26.35). Several reports of pressure under 915 Mb (27.00), were reported by survivors near the eye."

Fuck THAT.

Sat through Hurricanes Erin and Opal in Pensacola a month apart back in 1995. Erin was a weak 2 and Opal was a very strong 2, almost a 3,  at landfall (At one time she was actually briefly a 5 while well out in the gulf.)  Those were bad enough. I sincerely hope and pray that Florida and  especially A2sights are spared a cat 5. My prayers are with you guys.

Good Luck and God Bless.

SG

SG..I was in Camille at the ripe age of 8 years old, went to help my father's Uncle empty out his meat packing business in Mobile, we stayed at his house during the storm, on Mobile bay, Grand bay to be exact. It was my first hurricane experience..all I remember is the sound of the storm and all the debris flying. Unbelievable damage..there was hotel that had people gathered for the famous "hurricane party"..I think it had about 70-80 people there...the hotel was blown completely away..no trace of structures or people. There entire buildings and structures moved inland by a couple of miles. Entire roads gone..disappeared. It was like on big beach from the Gulf, inland.

I live in Ft.Walton bch, so Erin and Opal landing in Navarre was front row also. After Opal passed and devasted us, it was the morning after the OJ trial decision..no one in America paid us any attention. Not that we needed any, but we were without power for on Okaloosa Island for a week and half, without cable for a month and water was the same as power since it takes power to pump it. We still see the signs of Opal everywhere in town.

I have been through probably 20 + storms in my life..most of them in Florida. Back in the 80's I actually chased them for a weather service to report conditons in real time from the landfalls. I got paid $107 for chasing...big money.

Anyway...sort of like war stories I guess. I remember one time, seeing a cat climbing up a fence, as he reached the top, the wind just picked him up and threw him like a baseball. Always wondered if he made it. I saw a metal awning come off a building and flung like a frisbee till it hit a series of power lines and clip them like a knife. Ahhhh, the stories. Saw a brand new Mustang float by our condo complex...amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top