Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 8:02:45 AM EDT
I was thinking about this in the car...when I think back to pre-1994 the most popular pistol calibers seem to have been the 9mm and 40 (along with the 10mm).  There were 45's around, but they didn't seem to be as popular.  I think people were opting for the capacity over stopping power.  With the 10 round limit, I think people started to revisit the ole 45.  In my opinion, I think it currently is the most popular pistol caliber.  

Do y'all think that will change with the sunset of the 1994 AWB?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it had more to do with LEO, most civilians seem to copy what they see local cops carrying.

Everyone wanted a wonder 9 then the LEO's started realizing (duh) the bigger rounds were better so they all went to .40, .357, .45.

then it seemed most civilians followed.

But I think you are on to something, why should you have a 9mm that holds 10 when you can have a .45 that holds 10??

On a different note I bought a 9mm because of the AWB expiration. Figure it will be fun to have a 33rd mag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
No.

The 9mm was a worse choice in 1994 that it is today.

Only ONE of my next, oh, seven handgun purchases will have a capacity greater than 10 rounds....and that's another BHP, for which hi-caps have never been an issue in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The Nazi's used 9mm's.

We kicked their ass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
That has been stated in the gun rags a few times, and may very well have something to do with it. If you're limited to 10 rds, it may as well be a big round. Now that the ban is going away, I don't think the popularity of the single stack .45 is going to suffer though. Besides the M-1 Garand, I really don't think that there is a gun that's as firmly footed in the American gun industry as the 1911 platform.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
More bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That has been stated in the gun rags a few times, and may very well have something to do with it. If you're limited to 10 rds, it may as well be a big round. Now that the ban is going away, I don't think the popularity of the single stack .45 is going to suffer though. Besides the M-1 Garand, I really don't think that there is a gun that's as firmly footed in the American gun industry as the 1911 platform.

There are sure a lot more companies making 1911s than there are those making Garands.

These things go in cycles. AWB mag ban probably had little to do with the resurgence of the .45.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Good assumption.  With the number of rounds limited, why not get the biggest bang for your buck, so to speak.

Some may opt to move to a smaller caliber with increased rounds after the sunset, but balistic research continues to show that the .45 is one of the best pistol rounds available.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Nah.
.45 never went anywhere.
The paid shills hyping the wondernines ran out of things to say when the 9mm demonstrated its pissant-ness in the field with police departments all over the Nation.

/
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Besides the M-1 Garand, I really don't think that there is a gun that's as firmly footed in the American gun industry as the 1911 platform.

Earth to USCGflyer: AR15/M16/M4.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#14]
nope, it is the best round in the best platform. 1911,s will NEVER go away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Nazi's used 9mm's.

We kicked their ass.

So did the Brits, who used them to help with the above...

And the Russians used 7.62mm pistols very effectively too... So much for bigger = allways better...

Oh, someone said that the .357 Sig is a larger diameter than 9mm... It's the same, or perhaps .001 smaller (is it 9mm or .380 that's actually a .356 bullet?)...

As for the original question

NO.

The ban was 100% inneffective, and you could still EASILY get 9mm weapons with 15-17rd capacities and affordable mags for the entire duration.

Workable Beretta range mags were easily available for $9.99-15.99 thru the whole ban...

Any change in cartridge popularity would IMHO be related to the spread of CCW laws and the popularity of 'Carry' guns.

Just like the 5.56mm is an excellent cartridge for a 20" rifle, but not so great for a 14.5" carbine, the 9mm is a good full size pistol cartridge (90+ years of use by the UK, Germans, and most of the rest of the world says it can't be that bad), it is velocity dependant and starts to fall off as folks go to smaller weapons.

9mm out of a 5" bbl vs 9mm out of a 3" bbl, for example...

.45ACP is a low velocity round, so barrel length is far less important...

That's my guess...

I'll keep my 9mm thank you, I can't carry it here anyway...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Nazi's used 9mm's.

We kicked their ass.

The Soviets kicked the Germans ass, and they used 30 cal.

Handguns are not material in the outcome of warfare.  Perhaps the occasional desparate engagement, but not overall...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#17]
No.  When was the .45 ACP unpopular?  Newbies and inexperienced shooters swarmed to wonder-nines in the 80's then .40s in the 90's and such.  But true pistoleros have always loved the .45  

Liberalized CCW laws did make for smaller more concealable guns, the AW ban did help here since sales of full size pistol went down.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nah.
.45 never went anywhere.
The paid shills hyping the wondernines ran out of things to say when the 9mm demonstrated its pissant-ness in the field with police departments all over the Nation.

/

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#19]
The 1911 has more thrust per squeeze... really.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Again? It never lost popularity with me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If you own a 1911 carry it cocked and locked for a week(nothing in the tube) and one week latter it will still be cocked and locked no problems!!

You need to overcome the backstrap safety plus finger the trigger to make it fire!!!

To those that know about slow moving big bullets the .45 has never gone anywhere!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I carry a ,45, Kimber BP Ten gives me 10 rounds and hopefully soon I can get some highcaps.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you own a 1911 carry it cocked and locked for a week(nothing in the tube) and one week latter it will still be cocked and locked no problems!!

You need to overcome the backstrap safety plus finger the trigger to make it fire!!!

To those that know about slow moving big bullets the .45 has never gone anywhere!!
Bob

That's what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 I refuse to carry cocked and locked, and I don't want to be manually dropping the hammer to carry the gun (always a slight risk of an accidental discharge), quote]

If you don't carry cocked and locked you are openning yourself up to an open and closed Civil case.  The Civial attorney can easily argue if you had time to cock you had time to run.  If you had the presence of mind to cock, you premeditated.
Fight with me about it if you want...I am right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
 I refuse to carry cocked and locked, and I don't want to be manually dropping the hammer to carry the gun (always a slight risk of an accidental discharge), quote]

If you don't carry cocked and locked you are openning yourself up to an open and closed Civil case.  The Civial attorney can easily argue if you had time to cock you had time to run.  If you had the presence of mind to cock, you premeditated.
Fight with me about it if you want...I am right.

How in the hell would it be determined that you cocked the weapon if you shot someone? No one will know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
nope, it is the best round in the best platform. 1911s will NEVER go away.

Ayep...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top