Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 6:29:43 AM EDT
...actually, I took off from work today and tomorrow to man my telephone and fax.  Letters were sent last week.  After more than twenty busy signals I got through.  I told the operator I was aware that a big push was on today and tomorrow by the anti-gun crowd to flood the White House with calls to renew the AWB.  She laughed and said, "Yeah I know."

I then told her I was calling to counter that flood and I supported the AWB sunset.  I started in about 'feel-good', useless legislation and the ban being based on features that had nothing to do with lethality when she interrupted me, saying "I know, I know"  She then thanked me for my call and hung up.  

WTF was that? Man I wasn't even done!  Every time I've called before I was able to at least finish my points.  Maybe she had to pee?

Anyway, back to the phone, perhaps I'll get her on the line again so I can find out why she cut me off.   Stay tuned for updates or post yours here.

Ron
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't got through yet, but I have been trying, and will continue to.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
phone numbers??????...........
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Comments: 202-456-1111 Switchboard: 202-456-1414 FAX: 202-456-2461 E-Mail President George W. Bush: [email protected] Vice President Richard Cheney: [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WTF was that? Man I wasn't even done!  Every time I've called before I was able to at least finish my points.  Maybe she had to pee?

When any group decided to "jam the phones" her job is no longer to listen to everyone and write down everything you have to say, instead her job is just to count numbers for and and against.  She got that you were against it and let you go because she 1,000 other people waiting on hold.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...actually, I took off from work today and tomorrow to man my telephone and fax.  Letters were sent last week.  After more than twenty busy signals I got through.  I told the operator I was aware that a big push was on today and tomorrow by the anti-gun crowd to flood the White House with calls to renew the AWB.  She laughed and said, "Yeah I know."

I then told her I was calling to counter that flood and I supported the AWB sunset.  I started in about 'feel-good', useless legislation and the ban being based on features that had nothing to do with lethality when she interrupted me, saying "I know, I know"  She then thanked me for my call and hung up.  

Anyway, back to the phone, perhaps I'll get her on the line again so I can find out why she cut me off.   Stay tuned for updates or post yours here.

Ron

prob. b/c her phone is ringing off the hook with opinions both ways on this and other issues.  the lady you get when you call the WH isn't a top advisor, you just need to let her know you are against an AWB renewal, the reasons why don't matter to her.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Three calls so far this morning, they are absolutely swamped.

The secretary doesn't want to hear a diatribe, she wants a for or against.  Prefereably in one sentence tha tlasts under two seconds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Three calls so far this morning, they are absolutely swamped.

The secretary doesn't want to hear a diatribe, she wants a for or against.  Prefereably in one sentence tha tlasts under two seconds.

Bingo!

You have to figure that by now they've heard all the arguments from both sides.
You're just repeating what they've probably already hear a dozen times.
Just tell you are against it, hang up, call back and tell them again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Godspeed, my friend
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#9]
YAY!  finally made it through!

went something like this:
me: "I'm glad the AWB is going away and am very opposed to a new ban"
whitehouse answerer: "thank you"<click>
me (to dead phone): "thank you too"

guess they're getting a lot of calls.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Done x2
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
As of today, the White House operators probably have more info and disinfo on the AWB than anybody in the country, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
My email from this morning, to the Pres and V-P

Gentlemen,

I am aware of a very large push by the anti-gun crowd to prevent the AWB of 1994 from expiring. Please do not cave to their pressure to continue anti-constitutional, feel-good legislation which has no effect other than to waste taxpayers dollars via enforcement.

I know that the President has agreed to sign the ban, should it arrive on his desk. I respectfully request him to reconsider this position. I believe that any continuation of a ban will only lead to more bans which will have a negative impact on the safety and security of our country.

You and yours will continue to be in my prayers for guidance, wisdom, and fortitude to do the right thing.

Sincerely,

<sigh> I just noticed "anti-consitutional" wasn't "unconsitutional". Not sure what I was thinking.

Re phone numbers, are you guys calling the comment lines or the switchboard?

Lager,

sgt_seti
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I told her my wife and I are glad it's going away and thanked the POTUS for his "non-effort" to make that happen..She said since my wife has also expressed her thanks to the Prez, it counts as 2 votes...How many voting age kids do you have in your house?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I would cut those operators some slack.  They aren't there to hear your entire platform.  Just to make another mark in the "for" or "against" column.

Such is life....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
WooHoo, got thru!!! Voted for my wife and I.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#17]
hard getting thru.
several tries.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I've gotten through several more times since I first posted; each time I quickly made my point with no problems.  I guess my initial strategy was to tie up the lines to keep the antis from getting through; yeah, that's what I meant to do!

Anyway, twelve calls done and will continue to speak for me AND the wife....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm betting they have caller ID and your "vote" is tagged with the number.  Just a guess, the same way online polls mark your ISP (the ones worth a crap anyway)

I'll try and get my call in during lunch
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Called and voiced my opposition to a renewal.

Keep those phones ringing!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Nice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When any group decided to "jam the phones" her job is no longer to listen to everyone and write down everything you have to say, instead her job is just to count numbers for and and against.  She got that you were against it and let you go because she 1,000 other people waiting on hold.

+36
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Got a nice older lady.

Just quickly say you are against renewal.

This ain't a call in talk radio show.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top