Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 10:07:56 PM EDT

And the guy in front of me who's come in to pick up his truck is informed of a slight "issue" regarding his vehicle.

Seems the night before, the shop was broke into and three cars that were kept in the back lot were broke into and this guy had his $1,000 stereo system stolen.

The transmission shop apologized for his loss, said they weren't responsible and pointed to a sign on the wall saying in essence that the shop is not responsible for any lost valubles "attached or unattached" from the vehicle.

Apparently the back lot where his truck was kept has a fence with barbwire on top but the punks got through it anyway.

They say he's gotta call HIS insurance company and they're not gonna give him one penny restitution - SOL.

Thing is - the shop never called the police or filed a police report. Hmmm.... So the guy (obviously pretty irate at this point and using the "fuck"-word almost as much as me) demands that they call the police so he can file a report right there.

And then he gets the rest of the story...

Seems the mechanic had taken this guy's truck home with him for a couple nights ("to make sure it was running fine"). Well he also took it out to a friend's birthday party and on the way home he got stopped by the po-po (for who knows what traffic violation) and the cop runs the plates and finds out the real owner (the red-faced man with steam coming out of his ears in line in front of me) had yet ANOTHER fuckup - this time with the MVD who, unbeknownst to him, had issued him the wrong tags.

Soooo... the cops took the licence tags off his truck and now he's got a truck with no licence tags and a $1,000 hole where his radio used to be.

Oh.... and this was his FOURTH trip back to the tranny shop to have the same problem fixed.

When he finally got all done with him, the shop manager looked at me and said "next?"

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you had the good sense to get the hell out of there?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In one of my business law classes in college, I specifically asked about this very "not responsible" thing.  We researched it and, at least in Georgia, if you are paying them money for repairs or money for parking, they are responsible, the signs be damned.

If you are in a free parking lot such as a shopping center, etc, then they are not responsible.

As for the other stuff, I think I would own that shop very shortly.  This is one time that a big ol' lawsuit is perfectly justified.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you run away?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Was it a Ford?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's just all around shameful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What shop?

And the cross streets...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What shop?

And the cross streets...

IMed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Was it a Ford?

Are you On DOPE SON?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What shop?

And the cross streets...

IMed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be wondering if one of the shops employees had a new stereo in their car.....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In one of my business law classes in college, I specifically asked about this very "not responsible" thing.  We researched it and, at least in Georgia, if you are paying them money for repairs or money for parking, they are responsible, the signs be damned.

If you are in a free parking lot such as a shopping center, etc, then they are not responsible.

As for the other stuff, I think I would own that shop very shortly.  This is one time that a big ol' lawsuit is perfectly justified.

If I remember my class from 25 years ago correctly, when you hand a business your keys a bailment is created and they are responsible for the vehicle.  If you keep the keys, then they have to be guilty of negligence to be responsible. Of course this depends on the state you live, etc, etc, and of course, etc.
It sounds like the shop is responsible unless there is state case law stating otherwise.

ETA: Did you leave your vehicle with them?????
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:21:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the state, if any negligence is involved in some statess, etc.  Aand it can be differeent for parking lots, self-parking or valets, etc.  In most places like repair shops the owners have to take reasonable precautions.  

One thing that generally never flies is the agreement on the back of a parking tag that you don't get until after you enter, those generally aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

And in any case, no matter what his sign says, it's what the Judge at Small Claims Court says.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a lawsuit and prosecution for unauthorized use of a vehicle...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

AND take out a full-page ad in the local paper warning people to stay the hell away?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sounds like a lawsuit and prosecution for unauthorized use of a vehicle...

BAM, right there.

Even if the signs protected them from liability, the "borrowing" of the vehicle probably would destroy that protection.

As soon as the vehicle was given the "exteneded test drive" they now own any problems that occurred, as well as possibly having to pay for mileage, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Me and my J. Noble Daggett skin-peeling lawyer would be delivering lots of pain upon the head of that dumbass trans shop owner, shortly followed by calls to the BBB, the local pols, the paper hot line and anyone else who I could stir up.

My insurance complany would go after him like a bulldog too.

Then I'd start putting out flyers and picketing the bastard.

Nothing illegal...just painful

He'd be better off just fixing my truck.

Rat bastard!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#17]
If the mechanic took the guy's car home without the owner's permission, he stole it. And there's a police report to prove it.

If someone did that to me I'd own a transmission shop now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If the mechanic took the guy's car home without the owner's permission, he stole it. And there's a police report to prove it.

If someone did that to me I'd own a transmission shop now.

what year is your Porsche??
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. They already rebuilt my tranny back in June and so it's all under warranty. I'm in for about two grand already and if I take it anywhere else - it's all outta my pocket all over again.

If I were a new customer, I'd walk.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
And the guy in front of me who's come in to pick up his truck is informed of a slight "issue" regarding his vehicle.

Seems the night before, the shop was broke into and three cars that were kept in the back lot were broke into and this guy had his $1,000 stereo system stolen.

The transmission shop apologized for his loss, said they weren't responsible and pointed to a sign on the wall saying in essence that the shop is not responsible for any lost valubles "attached or unattached" from the vehicle.

Apparently the back lot where his truck was kept has a fence with barbwire on top but the punks got through it anyway.

They say he's gotta call HIS insurance company and they're not gonna give him one penny restitution - SOL.

Thing is - the shop never called the police or filed a police report. Hmmm.... So the guy (obviously pretty irate at this point and using the "fuck"-word almost as much as me) demands that they call the police so he can file a report right there.

And then he gets the rest of the story...

Seems the mechanic had taken this guy's truck home with him for a couple nights ("to make sure it was running fine"). Well he also took it out to a friend's birthday party and on the way home he got stopped by the po-po (for who knows what traffic violation) and the cop runs the plates and finds out the real owner (the red-faced man with steam coming out of his ears in line in front of me) had yet ANOTHER fuckup - this time with the MVD who, unbeknownst to him, had issued him the wrong tags.

Soooo... the cops took the licence tags off his truck and now he's got a truck with no licence tags and a $1,000 hole where his radio used to be.

Oh.... and this was his FOURTH trip back to the tranny shop to have the same problem fixed.

When he finally got all done with him, the shop manager looked at me and said "next?"

Umm, what shop was this..?  I don't need trouble when mine goes...

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Im glad I do all my own mechanic work! (except alignments )
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#22]
This very thing happened to me a few years ago.

I dropped my Mustang 5.0 off at a tranny shop one morning and the guy said he would check out the growling noise coming from the rear-end and then call me with an idea as to what was wrong (ring and pinion gears were worn).  A day goes by...no call. Two days...nothing. Three...nothing. Finally, at the end of the third day I called him and the first thing out of his mouth was:

"Didn't the State Police call you?"

At this point, I got the shivers, expecting all manner of bad news. He goes on to say the car was broken into and that there was significant damage. Some assholes broke in through the sunroof and destroyed the steering column trying to get the car started. The roof of the car was buckled, as they used a pry bar on the sunroof.

Then the guys says, "It's not my responsibility, you'll have to talk to your insurance company." I said, "Like hell I'm going to talk to MY insurance company."

After weeks of fighting it out, I testified before a board at his insurance company and he wound up paying the $3,000 worth of damage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd be wondering if one of the shops employees had a new stereo in their car.....

S.O.

Not likely - I would guess that the guy sells them off though a network.

+1

Not a new thing here...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Was it a Ford?

Funny, and OH SO TRUE!

SG

(Sorry for the hijack MAC...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top