BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 6:54:32 PM EDT
www.nbc4i.com/news/3715145/detail.html

Columbus Senator To Be Deployed To Iraq

Stivers Running In November Election

POSTED: 3:05 pm EDT September 8, 2004
UPDATED: 6:53 pm EDT September 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A state senator has announced he's headed to the Persian Gulf as the leader of his Ohio Army National Guard unit.

Columbus Republican Steve Stivers, the commander of the Columbus-based 237th Personnel Services Batallion, leaves next month for a deployment in support of the war in Iraq.

He said security rules prevent him from providing more details or saying where he'll be based.

His unit keeps track of soldiers in the field, the awarding of medals and contact with families at home.

Stivers, 39, was appointed to the Senate in January 2003 and is running for election to the seat this November.

Stivers joined the Army National Guard 19 years ago.

He was eligible for a lawmaker's deferment but said he never considered not going.

"I always knew that mobilization was a possibility, and now the time has come," Stiver said.

Word of deployment came as the U.S. military death toll in Iraq topped the 1,000 mark.

"No soldier loves war too much, because soldiers pay the ultimate price in war," Stivers said.

He will remain overseas for up to a year. Stivers said he will not give up his Senate seat and will continue to campaign. His staff will run his office while fellow Republicans will stump for him.

"He's always been active in the military, and he feels it's his duty," said his mother Carol Stivers. "As a mother, I am apprehensive. I pray daily for everybody who is there."
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Out-Standing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent! He's a true Patriot
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
HE'S MY SENATOR!

I heard it on the news.
He's pretty cool.
He's not overly pro-gun though.
I'm trying to fix that.
I call him a lot.
He did support the Ohio CCW law earlier this year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
No we have a fairly strong conservative Souse and Senate here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No we have a fairly strong conservative Souse and Senate here.

What, you have a bunch of drunks????????????????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top