Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 6:02:23 PM EDT
I went to the Miami University bookstore to get a book that I need for a class that they were very late in getting, and looked at the non-textbook section of the store.  It's very small, only a few shelves.  They have one section devoted to "NY bestsellers".  They have TWO sets of My Lies, they have Lying Liars, two MM books ("stupid white men" and Dude, where's my country'), some anti-Bush book by Dowd, Hitlery's book, and I think there was one or two more.  They have ABSOLUTELY NO pro-Bush or pro-republican books ANYWHERE in the store - unless they're well-hidden.  I looked for at least 15 minutes.

I desperately want to make a big fuss about it, but I don't know how to go about doing it, and, though I'm a little ashamed to admit it, I don't think I have the courage.

What would you do?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You're on a university campus.  Get used to it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Especially that one..pretty liberal from my point of view...my dad lives about 15 miles from there, my sister went to Miami.  97X is my favorite radio station, but even they are liberal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I go through the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Make them order you "UNFIT FOR COMMAND" by the swiftboat vets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
ARFCOM FIRE MISSION?

All this hitting polls has me feisty...

I thinks I'll be calling your bookstore tomorrow asking for several of my favorite reads...

I have free long distance on my cell and I have plenty of extra minutes...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ARFCOM FIRE MISSION?

All this hitting polls has me feisty...

I thinks I'll be calling your bookstore tomorrow asking for several of my favorite reads...

I have free long distance on my cell and I have plenty of extra minutes...

Hey, yeah, I like that idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I've decided.  Tomorrow I'm going to tell them to order Unfit for Command.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Try finding all the cool books you like at any Borders, or Barnes and Nobles.  They are there, just hidden in their so called catagory.  Even if the are current best sellers, they never seem to have them in any numbers on that list (Could be they are sold out).  I always have to go to the "angry" book section to find the books I like.

BTW, I cannot read 6 pages of any book by Michael Savage, without having my blood boil.  He points out what is wrong, so painfully obvious, you wonder just how stupid the left is. I guess it is just over the top fuctup!

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Try finding all the cool books you like at any Borders, or Barnes and Nobles.  They are there, just hidden in their so called catagory.  Even if the are current best sellers, they never seem to have them in any numbers on that list (Could be they are sold out).  I always have to go to the "angry" book section to find the books I like.

Yeah, Borders is pretty left.  When the boyfriend asked about "Unfit for Command" at the front, they said they didn't carry "those kind of books".  He had to go dig in the back section of the store to find it, wheras all the Anit-Bush books, along with Michael Moore's bullshit and Clinton's biography had fatass displays in the front.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I went to the Miami University bookstore to get a book that I need for a class that they were very late in getting, and looked at the non-textbook section of the store.  It's very small, only a few shelves.  They have one section devoted to "NY bestsellers".  They have TWO sets of My Lies, they have Lying Liars, two MM books ("stupid white men" and Dude, where's my country'), some anti-Bush book by Dowd, Hitlery's book, and I think there was one or two more.  They have ABSOLUTELY NO pro-Bush or pro-republican books ANYWHERE in the store - unless they're well-hidden.  I looked for at least 15 minutes.

I desperately want to make a big fuss about it, but I don't know how to go about doing it, and, though I'm a little ashamed to admit it, I don't think I have the courage.

What would you do?

Maybe all the good ones have already sold out...  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Miami of Ohio's alternative rock radio station - "97X <whoosh><bang> The Future Of Rock And Roll"

Even rain-man liked that station. He's repeating the tagline while they drive along the river during the movie. Oddly enough, even modern radios with good antennas have difficulty receiving that station in that particular spot, so very doubtful that the beauty they're in would have been tuned to the station. But that's movie life.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
burn it down*, that'll teach them
* I'm not seriously advocating that

maybe put up flyers around campus saying the bookstore is not allowing both sides to be heard
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Photo-document the whole thing. The locations, placement, titles.
Document the LACK of same for Conservative viewpoint.
FUCK the bookstore - they are either wholly owned or are licensed by the school. GO TO THE CHANCELLOR'S office, with you material and demand that the situation be remedied. If you are blown off, or the response is totally unsatisfactory, take it to the Board of Directors AND the local media.
Shove it up their ass, sideways.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
1) Contact and join the campus section of Young Republicans, or whatever. Make them aware of this "unfair and unbalance" bias against conservative issues.

2) Contact your state and local Republican elected legislators to appraise them of the situation.

3) Liberal hippie chick. Pooper. Pics.

4) Tell all of your like-minded friends to begin ordering books more consistent with your views from the bookstore on a regular basis.

5) Write an expository letter to the campus rag, as well as the local fishwrap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to have a heck of a time getting in western Cincinnati, much less the east side where that scene was filmed.

97X is now internet only.  They sold off the broadcast license earlier this year.  97.7mHz was some lame-o alternative station the last time I was in town.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
maybe they were sold out and all they had was the drivell no one else wanted?????
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You're on a university campus.  Get used to it?

Very true... I am majoring in Sociology and English. My Soci. classes are overall interesting and accurate, but here and there some B.S. slips through. You've got to have a good sense of what you feel is right. Remember to think critically and move on. Be glad that you're not a sheep. Don't bother making a fuss. It's a big campus and most of the people on it are so sure they are right, that there is nothing you can say to change their minds. It is better to convert people on a one on one basis. Making random complaints will get you nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Photo-document the whole thing. The locations, placement, titles.
Document the LACK of same for Conservative viewpoint.
FUCK the bookstore - they are either wholly owned or are licensed by the school. GO TO THE CHANCELLOR'S office, with you material and demand that the situation be remedied. If you are blown off, or the response is totally unsatisfactory, take it to the Board of Directors AND the local media.
Shove it up their ass, sideways.

What's the point you are trying to make?  How in the hell could he DEMAND any such thing??

The non-textbook part of the store is no doubt designed to run to make a PROFIT.  In other words, any shelf space has to be justified in terms of demand.

If there is little demand for such books (which there probably isn't, given normal colelge student attitudes), why the hell would you expect a store to carry it?

What do you have against the free market and capitalism?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It gives me so much pleasure to post this:

NY Times Best Seller List

HARDCOVER NONFICTION
Top 5 at a Glance
1. UNFIT FOR COMMAND, by John E. O'Neill and Jerome R. Corsi
2. AMERICAN SOLDIER, by Tommy Franks with Malcolm McConnell
3. MY LIFE, by Bill Clinton
4. BUSHWORLD, by Maureen Dowd
5. EATS, SHOOTS & LEAVES, by Lynne Truss

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top