Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 4:54:43 PM EDT
What the ...

I got that random alert thing telling me that there were updates ready so I downloaded this new service pack.

Well, everything is screwy now. Is anyone else having problems with their firewall or the way you view webpages? It gave me two random taskbars that I don't want and it's saving every image I try to save as a bitmap instead of JPG when I can clearly see that it's a JPG. I don't even have the option of saving it as anything other than bitmap.

What is this service pack thing anyway?

edited for overuse of the word "thing" heeheehee
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Regarding the bitmap part, you need to clear your temporary internet files. As for SP2,

RUN, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Regarding the bitmap part, you need to clear your temporary internet files. As for SP2,

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Well damn ... I just put my sneakers in the closet.

BUT ... I will clear out those pesky files.

What is this service pack thing? Can I uninstall it? The website doesn't give much 411 about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to have any problems with it and use IE. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
SP2 will do one of two things for you: 1) install fine and nothing looks different. b) let you get really personal with a MickeySoft helpdesk person.

You can try to uninstall, but I will not install it on my PCs for a while. It really locks down and messes with Windows.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Well damn ... I just put my sneakers in the closet.

BUT ... I will clear out those pesky files.

What is this service pack thing? Can I uninstall it? The website doesn't give much 411 about it.

What is the service pack? It's basically one gigantic patch file. it fixes a bunch of problems, and adds some new functionality to the XP operating system. Trouble is.....it also introduces a few new bugs into the mix. Hey, it IS Microsoft, after all...

Yes, it is uninstallable.
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

At the bottom of the page there are instructions to remove it. I'd say before you do that, try disabling the firewall. Here's a simple guide to walk you through turning it off.
www.grenme.com/node/view/18
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
It fucked my shit up, too...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Before I put it on my mother's computer I set a restore point; good thing.  It is a new computer with Norton's Anti-virus, and Palm Desktop as the only installs that put on before the SP2 fiasco.  Totally screwed up her computer, took an hour to install then another 2 hours to get rid of the damn thing and restore.

Sorry not much help for you unles you set a restore point.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
For those who haven't done it yet, but are thinking.......check around a number of the tech forums (Ars, [H], etc) for their threads on it. There's a list of chipsets that need updating of the BIOS to work properly with SP2, and there are a lot of examples of programs that need tweaking to work.

From what I've researched, the best bet to ensure minimum problems is to fresh install XP then immediately do the service pack. Myself, I'm gonna do a slipstream onto a new CD to do both at once.

Of course, none of SP2 is really vital, so you could always take a pass till they work the kinks out!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed it as an upgrade and after a day or two, I uninstalled it.

I ordered a new copy of XP Pro which came with SP2 on the CD.  It installed perfectly and runs without a hitch.  

I'll try installing the upgrade again later on the other machine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
For a fix to Service Pack II and ALL other MS issues....

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ftp/personal_iso_int.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top