Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 4:36:25 PM EDT
Hope this isn't a dupe.

abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/assault_weapons_ban_040908-1.html

Nothing gets Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton more impassioned than talking about the impending expiration of the 10-year-old assault weapons ban.

"Nobody has an inalienable right to run around with a machine gun," he said. "I'm sorry, that's insanity!"

And he's the chief of police, for crying out loud!  WTF?

If it expires, Russian AK-47 assault rifles and Israeli Uzi machine guns could become available, as well as high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.

I am so pissed I can barely breathe.

--Mike

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
no dupes here!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn Kali gets ALL the cool stuff AK47 AND Uzi Machine Guns!  Can some of you Kali residents send me one Monday when they are readily available?  I'd much rather have a machine gun than a no-ban semi!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It is really, really getting looney out there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Youhave to give the Chief props for calling a magazine a magazine and not a clip.

But, he loses points for calling them High Capacity, when anyone with two neurons to trub together knows they are Normal capacity.

Does he restrict his officers to 10 round magazines?  If not, why not?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is really, really getting looney out there.

Sounds like "grasping for straws" to me.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am so pissed I can barely breathe.

--Mike

www.mikecaswell.com/awcountdown.gif]www.mikecaswell.com/awcountdown.gif

Don't be pissed -look at  the countdown above this sentence.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
All the democrats have left is lies and distortions. Pity them. Pity our country for believeing them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Called it a clip on MSNBC a few min ago while debating Wayne...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
All the democrats have left is lies and distortions. Pity them. Pity our country for believeing them.

Sorry, I beg to differ:
All the democrats have left is lies and distortions. Pity them. Pity our countrythe sheeple for believeing them
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Chief Bratton is a maroon.  A real Eskimo Pie head.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Lean back and laugh.

It is GOOD to be ahead in the fourth with 4 seconds to go.

And YOUR team has the ball.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is that fucking moron's email address.
[email protected] <[email protected]>
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, then they show Skerry holding up a "rifle" which was actually a shotgun,
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
email i sent to ABC letting them know how pissed off people are.

I am truly sickened by the reporting of Peter Jennings over the whole AWB issue. Why cant the media just get it right for once and actualy do some true investigation as to the real issue instead of listing to the left wing liberals who want nothing more then for all guns to be banned.

The government defines an assault weapon as a FULLY automatic weapon capable of fireing hundreds of rounds with the single pull of a trigger BUT every weapon in the assault weapons ban is SEMI-automatic, in definition a semi-auto requires an individual to pull the trigger one time for every bullet the firearm shoots. Therefore requireing 100 pulls of the trigger to fire 100 rounds of amunition from the firearm.

The guns banned in the AWB are not true assault weapons, they just LOOK like military style rifles. Why dont you go ask the politicians how they decided what rifles to ban. They themselves admitted they took firearms magazines and flipped thru the pages and picked guns that LOOKED scarry. Before the ban was actualy passed they realized that one of the guns picked to ban simply because it had a scarry name was actualy a hunting shotgun. The people who wrote up the ban had no clue and to this date still have no cluse as to what they are trying to ban.

On Monday when the ban sunsets, there will not be a flood of fully automatic machine guns on the streets, they have been banned since 1934 with the NFA machine guns act and require strict federal regulation to be purchased. The guns that will be availible on Monday, Sept. 13th are the SAME guns that have been availible for the past 10 years even with the ban in effect, except they will have a bayonet lugs, flash hiders, and telescopeing stocks. None of these three items make the firearms any more deadly, the USER is the one that makes the firearm deadly. When was the last time someone used a bayonet on the end of a rifle to murder someone? WWII maybe? The telescopeing stocks simply allow the user to adjust the length of pull to fit the persons length of his or her arms. The average telescopeing stock only moves 4 inches and in no way allows anyone the ability to conceal a rifle that is required by the OTHER NFA firearms law to be 26" or longer. It simply allows the shooter to be more comfortable. The flash hider which Mrs. Fienstien claims will allow people to shoot in the dark without being seen is an item actualy desighned to allow the shooter not to become BLINDED by the fireball which shoots from the end of the rifle when he or she fires the weapon.

The ban has done NOTHING to curb gun crime. The ban has not stopped the sales of the guns over the past ten years, all the ban did was eliminate these three items from the weapons. There have been more AR-15s, more AK-47, and more UZIs sold in the US in the past ten years then there had ever been before the ban was enacted, all of which where made, sold, and used LEGALY by law abideing citizens of this country. Will the media EVER show the truths behind this ban or is the media just going to continue to spout off lies and false staements about te truth. The people of the US are tired of being lied too, tired of being pushed backwards by the same people we elect to make laws to keep us safe. Instead of banning guns, why dont we enforce the damn laws we have in the books. For once, just once i would love to the a report come from ABC that has some truth to it, instead of left wing propoganda . You telling the entire world that machine guns will soon be availible is like me telling someone I walked on the damn moon yesterday. It for one makes people who are igorant about gun laws more affraid of firearms, in second it gives those out there who are as well ignorant about gun laws but still own them false information. Because of your reporting some ignorant gun owner may actualy try to buy full auto gun parts and make a full auto weapon and thiink he or she is completely legal in doing so. Your reporting was irresponsible and full of ignorace. go read the law books and amendments next time , before you actualy speak to the world...........
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sent
Chief William Bratton

I saw your comments on ABCnews.com that once the AWB sunsets that Kalifornistan is going to have a surplus of machine guns on the streets, should you run into anyone giving them out to kids or something would you get one for me ?

You're either a moron or a liar, either way, I 'm glad your on the other (losing) team.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone should try to start up a thread on the ABC forum to call them liars.

http://forums.go.com/abcnews/forum?start=0&forumID=36
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
They showed footage of the North Hollywood shootout where the perps had full auto weapons (and the police had to borrow semi's from the local gun store to bring them down)  as they waxed eloquent on the impending doom of "putting weapons on the street."  They mentioned Uzis too but hey, some of them ARE semi's so that's a push (better than an outright lie).  Some of the political stuff was put into very harsh terms, especially when the two words of advice to Democratic candidates (about gun regulation) was "SHUT UP".  Made it almost sound like a threat from the NRA.    Clinton crying that Republicans wanted to put fewer cops on the street and more assault weapons......Can you say flaming rhetoric?  Oh yeah, they had a poll that claimed 68% were in favor of ban renewal.

Nightline to continue the polite civil discourse that we know as the news....liberal style.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I am truly sickened by the reporting of Peter Jennings over the whole AWB issue. Why cant the media just get it right for once and actualy do some true investigation as to the real issue instead of listing to the left wing liberals who want nothing more then for all guns to be banned.

The government defines an assault weapon as a FULLY automatic weapon capable of fireing hundreds of rounds with the single pull of a trigger(Sorry, but YOU need to look up the correct wording. An Assault RIFLE is fully auot, an Assault WEAPON is semi-auto. Looks like you are confused too) BUT every weapon in the assault weapons ban is SEMI-automatic, in definition a semi-auto requires an individual to pull the trigger one time for every bullet the firearm shoots. Therefore requireing 100 pulls of the trigger to fire 100 rounds of amunition from the firearm.

The guns banned in the AWB are not true assault weapons, they just LOOK like military style rifles. Why dont you go ask the politicians how they decided what rifles to ban. They themselves admitted they took firearms magazines and flipped thru the pages and picked guns that LOOKED scarry. Before the ban was actualy passed they realized that one of the guns picked to ban simply because it had a scarry name was actualy a hunting shotgun. The people who wrote up the ban had no clue and to this date still have no cluse as to what they are trying to ban.

On Monday when the ban sunsets, there will not be a flood of fully automatic machine guns on the streets, they have been banned)Not banned, but federally REGULATED since 1934. Some states have banned them, but they are regulated if still in circulation. In 1986, NEW manufacture full autos were banned from public purchase) since 1934 with the NFA machine guns act and require strict federal regulation to be purchased. The guns that will be availible on Monday, Sept. 13th are the SAME guns that have been availible for the past 10 years even with the ban in effect, except they will have a bayonet lugs, flash hiders, and telescopeing stocks. None of these three items make the firearms any more deadly, the USER is the one that makes the firearm deadly. When was the last time someone used a bayonet on the end of a rifle to murder someone? WWII maybe? The telescopeing stocks simply allow the user to adjust the length of pull to fit the persons length of his or her arms. The average telescopeing stock only moves 4 inches and in no way allows anyone the ability to conceal a rifle that is required by the OTHER NFA firearms law to be 26" or longer. It simply allows the shooter to be more comfortable. The flash hider which Mrs. Fienstien claims will allow people to shoot in the dark without being seen is an item actualy desighned to allow the shooter not to become BLINDED by the fireball which shoots from the end of the rifle when he or she fires the weapon.

The ban has done NOTHING to curb gun crime. (Very correct!)The ban has not stopped the sales of the guns over the past ten years, all the ban did was eliminate these three items from the weapons. There have been more AR-15s, more AK-47, and more UZIs sold in the US in the past ten years then there had ever been before the ban was enacted, all of which where made, sold, and used LEGALY by law abideing citizens of this country. Will the media EVER show the truths behind this ban or is the media just going to continue to spout off lies and false staements about te truth. The people of the US are tired of being lied too, tired of being pushed backwards by the same people we elect to make laws to keep us safe. Instead of banning guns, why dont we enforce the damn laws we have in the books. For once, just once i would love to the a report come from ABC that has some truth to it, instead of left wing propoganda . You telling the entire world that machine guns will soon be availible is like me telling someone I walked on the damn moon yesterday. It for one makes people who are igorant about gun laws more affraid of firearms, in second it gives those out there who are as well ignorant about gun laws but still own them false information. Because of your reporting some ignorant gun owner may actualy try to buy full auto gun parts and make a full auto weapon and thiink he or she is completely legal in doing so. Your reporting was irresponsible and full of ignorace. go read the law books and amendments next time , before you actualy speak to the world...........

Great effort and good for you, but as you see in the highlighted areas, you could be confusing the sheep too. But good effort, we need more people like you to write to these morons!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I am truly sickened by the reporting of Peter Jennings over the whole AWB issue. ..........

excellent email
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Like I said, we all need to get up Monday morning and continue with the daily on slot of emails, letters, and phone calls to our representatives, even march on Washington (without arms) for the removal of the 89 import ban.  The sooner we could get talk on this issue started the sooner all the same people will be saying:

["Nobody has an inalienable right to run around with a machine gun," he said. "I'm sorry, that's insanity!"]

[If it expires, Russian AK-47 assault rifles and Israeli Uzi machine guns could become available, as well as high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.]

And many of the sheep will see that this is all rhetoric as usual and will become sensitized to it.  The way I see it, sooner the better!  This action will also let all of the representatives, even the pro-rights reps., know that we are not easily pacified and that we are going to continue to fight for, “shall not be infringed”, and shall not means shall not.

Iso
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought this line was interesting:

"The irony is we'll probably have more of these weapons in the United States than there are in Iraq in the hands of insurgents," said Bratton. "Isn't that amazing?"
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I really don't quite know what to say about the LA Police Chief..consider this:
In Kalifornia (and Los Angeles is in Kalifornia)...Assault Weapons are BANNED by STATE LAW. In fact Kalifornia's definition of what an "Assault Weapon" is, is a lot tougher than the soon to expire FEDERAL LAW..

Also consider this..the Los Angeles Police Department had 10,000 M16A1's donated to them by the US Army.

As for High Capacity Magazines.. ANY Magazine holding more than 10 rounds in the STATE of Kalifornia cannot be SOLD, INHEIRITED, BORROWED, received as a GIFT, or BROUGHT into the state..(except for police officers, etc.) - BANNED by STATE LAW..

And Kali's Anti Gun Laws have NO EXPIRATION DATE.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder why the people of California let this stuff happen?

Are the people really that powerless?

This isn't meant as a slam just an honest question.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There are two kinds of people in Californistan:  The Screwheads and the Doomed.

The Doomed are much more intelligent, affluent, educated, etc. than the Screwheads.

Screwheads outnumber the Doomed about two to one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you live in some of the rural areas of the State you can easily get a CCW from the local Sheriff or Police Chief.  This CCW is good state-wide.  CA is only liberal in SF, LA and a few outliers and large city Police Chiefs are political animals that play to people's fears.  Bratton is appointed probably making him more of a tool than a politician.  Hey, CA is close to banning 50's, having fingerprinting for ammo purchases and penalties for unsafe storage of firearms (we already have them).  They're waiting for Arnie to sign them or veto them.  I doubt the fingerprint item will get in but the 50 might (despite no crimes EVER with a .50).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As for High Capacity Magazines.. ANY Magazine holding more than 10 rounds in the STATE of Kalifornia cannot be SOLD, INHEIRITED, BORROWED, received as a GIFT, or BROUGHT into the state..(except for police officers, etc.) - BANNED by STATE LAW..

IIRC its a felony offence too, while a first time unregistered AW offence is only a misdemeanor.

The rural areas of the state are quite conservative, but as long as there is a slight imbalance to left the democrats will continue to own CA.  If the state ratio of electoral votes were split up by the percentage of votes instead of all or nothing, it would completely change the dynamics of the presidential election.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:There are two kinds of people in Californistan:  The Screwheads and the Doomed.

Nice HST reference!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sent
Chief William Bratton

I saw your comments on ABCnews.com that once the AWB sunsets that Kalifornistan is going to have a surplus of machine guns on the streets, should you run into anyone giving them out to kids or something would you get one for me ?

You're either a moron or a liar, either way, I 'm glad your on the other (losing) team.

Sent:

Dear Chief Bratton,

I couldn't help but notice you did the Liar's Blink (you're a cop, you remember what that is, right?) as I watched your press conference on Nightline this evening.

What's the deal?  I can forgive someone who is honestly misguided -- someone who thinks that the AWB really covers machineguns -- but you?  You know better.

WHY ARE YOU LYING TO ME AND TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE?

My name,
Arkansas
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The government defines an assault weapon as a FULLY automatic weapon capable of fireing hundreds of rounds with the single pull of a trigger BUT every weapon in the assault weapons ban is SEMI-automatic, in definition a semi-auto requires an individual to pull the trigger one time for every bullet the firearm shoots. Therefore requireing 100 pulls of the trigger to fire 100 rounds of amunition from the firearm.

Amazing.  Even gun owners don't know the law.  A select fire, such as an M16 or M4, is an assault rifle, by any definition, technical, govt, or otherwise.  A so-called "assault weapon" is strictly semiauto.  I know, I know, anything can be an assault weapon, but I am referring to this goofy law.  The confusion factor that they hoped to create by calling it an "assault weapon", very close to assault rifle, seems to have worked well.

Also, unless you have some drum mags, you are not going to fire "hundreds of rounds" per trigger pull, even on full auto.

Agreed on this part.

On Monday when the ban sunsets, there will not be a flood of fully automatic machine guns on the streets, they have been banned since 1934 with the NFA machine guns act and require strict federal regulation to be purchased.

Well, if they can be purchased with strict regulation, they aren't banned.

The guns that will be availible on Monday, Sept. 13th are the SAME guns that have been availible for the past 10 years even with the ban in effect, except they will have a bayonet lugs, flash hiders, and telescopeing stocks. None of these three items make the firearms any more deadly, the USER is the one that makes the firearm deadly. When was the last time someone used a bayonet on the end of a rifle to murder someone? WWII maybe? The telescopeing stocks simply allow the user to adjust the length of pull to fit the persons length of his or her arms. The average telescopeing stock only moves 4 inches and in no way allows anyone the ability to conceal a rifle that is required by the OTHER NFA firearms law to be 26" or longer. It simply allows the shooter to be more comfortable. The flash hider which Mrs. Fienstien claims will allow people to shoot in the dark without being seen is an item actualy desighned to allow the shooter not to become BLINDED by the fireball which shoots from the end of the rifle when he or she fires the weapon.

It's a flash suppressor people, not a flash hider.  Other than that, I agree with this part.

The ban has done NOTHING to curb gun crime. The ban has not stopped the sales of the guns over the past ten years, all the ban did was eliminate these three items from the weapons. There have been more AR-15s, more AK-47, and more UZIs sold in the US in the past ten years then there had ever been before the ban was enacted, all of which where made, sold, and used LEGALY by law abideing citizens of this country. Will the media EVER show the truths behind this ban or is the media just going to continue to spout off lies and false staements about te truth. The people of the US are tired of being lied too, tired of being pushed backwards by the same people we elect to make laws to keep us safe. Instead of banning guns, why dont we enforce the damn laws we have in the books. For once, just once i would love to the a report come from ABC that has some truth to it, instead of left wing propoganda . You telling the entire world that machine guns will soon be availible is like me telling someone I walked on the damn moon yesterday. It for one makes people who are igorant about gun laws more affraid of firearms, in second it gives those out there who are as well ignorant about gun laws but still own them false information. Because of your reporting some ignorant gun owner may actualy try to buy full auto gun parts and make a full auto weapon and thiink he or she is completely legal in doing so. Your reporting was irresponsible and full of ignorace. go read the law books and amendments next time , before you actualy speak to the world...........

Not trying to flame you, but have your facts straight when you write to these dummies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nothing gets Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton more impassioned than talking about the impending expiration of the 10-year-old assault weapons ban.

"Nobody has an inalienable right to run around with a machine gun," he said. "I'm sorry, that's insanity!"

Our benevolent masters in Gov't do, apparently.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#32]
This LYING crap started a long time ago, and helped get the AWB put in place to begin with.

There was an ABC TV news magazine, Street Stories, I think with Ed (?) Bradley.  One week it about guns on the streets.  Bradley told us that kids in the projects could buy machine guns on the street for $50.  So, he interviewed some 10 yr old punk, apparently guarding his turf in the stairwell of his housing unit, watching out the door for possible invasion by kids from the next housing unit.  

Bradley was talking with the kid about how he was able to obtain a machine gun.  The kid kept it hidden by his body for the most part, you could not quite make out what it was, but Bradley finally got the kid to show his "machine gun"...

... it was one of those cheap BB guns that looked like an M16, with the buttstock broken off, and just the pistol grip remaining.  A BB gun.  That was Ed Bradley's "$50 machine gun".  And Bradley still thought it was a real gun!

Now think about this... if every time you see the news, when they are talking about stuff you know about, and they get it wrong, either through ignorance or deliberate lying... why should you believe them about anything else they say?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#33]
regarding the people of california -

california has gotten bad because
the majority of the state's population is in the big cities, and the populations primarily vote liberal and for democrates (small pool of firearm owners vs. large pool of liberal antigunners)

the media, state and city politicians have brainwashed and sensationalized guns as evil.

they have sucessfully managed to chip away at firearm ownership rights by banning, restricting, or requireing so many "safety" regulations be followed that it has become a chore to be able to buy firearms, thus decreasing the pool of firearms owners even further.

while some of those that have interest in hand guns, and military style weapons have attempted to speak out, they by far, are drowned out by the liberals. also,  many don't bother to speak up, i think, because they aren't true firearm enthusiast, and if they have theirs already, why bother to speak up?

most restrictions have been very careful to not anger the hunters in the state, so they don't speak up against any of the restrictions.

and lastly, most politicians don't listen to logic and reasoning, and have already made up their minds about banning everything so even when you try to present arguements against further restictions, they blow you off anyway.

by the way, anybody catch nightline 9/8 with the chief? he tried to clain that 54 LEO were killed by assault weapons during the past year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#34]
ALL the liberal idiots from all over the country have moved to California over the last 50 years.  Honestly, about 90% of the people I work with are from out of state.  A California borne native is RARE.

They continue to vote for legislators who misrepresent them with impunity because people do not get involved in local pollitics - they barely get involved in national politics.  Hence, the legislature passes anti-gun bills and the governors sign them.  Both get re-elected.

I've heard prominent legislator describe California as a "nation-state".  Re-read that.  They think California is a nation unto itself.

Americans just don't give a shit.  They will get the government they deserve.

P.S. - that Bratton guy is a transplant from NEW YORK CITY!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you live in some of the rural areas of the State you can easily get a CCW from the local Sheriff or Police Chief.  This CCW is good state-wide.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Kali-fornia legislature has closed that loop-hole. The CCW is only good in the county that it was issued in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I thought this line was interesting:

"The irony is we'll probably have more of these weapons in the United States than there are in Iraq in the hands of insurgents," said Bratton. "Isn't that amazing?"

so he is comparing Law Abiding U.S. citizens with Iraqi insurgents, what a piece of fucking shit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Lies in red

ABC News "Report"

Set to Expire
Gun Enthusiasts Rejoice, But Police Fear What Will Happen When Assault Weapons Ban Ends

By Bill Redeker

L O S   A N G E L E S, Sept. 8, 2004 — Nothing gets Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton more impassioned than talking about the impending expiration of the 10-year-old assault weapons ban.

Unless Congress or the Bush administration agrees to extend the ban, it will expire on Monday. Soon, all sorts of semi-automatic weapons could once again be legal.

Assault weapons used to be a hot-button political issue. But the ban is expiring without a serious debate in Congress, even though a survey released this week by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey found that 68 percent of Americans want Congress to extend the ban.

Republican leaders in Congress want the ban to expire, and President Bush is doing nothing to renew it.

"I think the will of the American people is consistent with letting it expire, so it will expire," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., told reporters on Capitol Hill today.

Bush says he opposes the semi-automatic weapons, but is careful not to upset the National Rifle Association, a powerful gun lobby.

The NRA will endorse the president's re-election bid after the ban expires, ABC News has learned.

But most Democrats aren't putting up a fight either because they do not want to bring on the wrath of the NRA in key congressional districts during an election year.

"There is a big block of Democrats joining a big block of Republicans that will make sure this issue never sees the light of day in the House," said Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president and CEO of the NRA.

Democrats remember what happened 10 years ago, when a Democratic Congress sent then-President Clinton the bill outlawing assault weapons. A few months later, the gun lobby was instrumental in helping Republicans win control of the House.

AK-47s and Uzis Back on the Street?

The ban outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons.

If it expires, Russian AK-47 assault rifles and Israeli Uzi machine guns could become available, as well as high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.

Chuck Payne, manager of Ray's Sporting Goods in Dallas, is upbeat about the situation.

"If you got a high-capacity magazine you spend less time reloading," he said. "You shoot more, which is good for us because we sell more ammunition."

The firearms industry can't wait to take advantage of the sun setting on the decade-old ban. Arms manufacturer Beretta is currently offering coupons for two free 15-round magazines. An Arizona gun maker is using his Web site to tick off the minutes until the ban expires.

At a shooting range in Los Angeles County, gun enthusiasts said it's about time.

"You have people who effectively want to kill you," said insurance agent Douglas Rahn. Asked if he thought assault weapons are necessary to protect people, he agreed. "Well, I think they are," he said between gunfire bursts down range.

At an indoor target range in Dallas, Randy Ryan said he was glad to see the ban go. "It's just good to see one more silly gun law gone. You almost never see a gun law disappear."

Dropping the ban also means that semi-automatic weapons could soon become available without a folding stock, which makes the gun easier to conceal.  (WTF???) It also means that the barrel of the gun can come equipped with a flash suppressor, which makes it more difficult to see the location of the shooter at night.

Many of these modifications are perfectly legal for the military and law enforcement officers, but soon they could be legal for civilian gun owners, and that has police worried.  

‘Weapons of Murder’

"They're weapons of murder," says LAPD Chief Bratton. "They are not weapons for hunting or collecting. Why do we want to let the ban expire just so some nut can go running around with a gun and show off? And that's exactly what will happen."

In fact, in 1997 two bank robbers in North Hollywood armed with assault weapons held off 350 cops for more than two hours. They fired more than 1,100 rounds from their 75 round-drum magazines.

Now police are worried that making such guns and magazines legal simply means it will be easier for criminals to get them because more of them will be available.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/assault_weapons_ban_040908-1.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#38]
CHIEF BRATTON = CHIEF MOOSE.

None have a clue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top