Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 1:21:40 PM EDT
hey there,

I remember my dad telling me about when he was stationed in germany, they had this coffee, that was rationed so you didn't get very much of it, but it was delicous.

he said it was sweeter than normal coffee (what we get here). with no bitterness.

any one know anything about this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure he wasn't confusing it with dark German beer?  Much tastier than their coffee, IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really know, I just have always wanted to try it.

eTA: i know it wasn't beer, I have had german beer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It's probably just the way it was roasted and prepared. Coffee not being indigenous to the European continent. For example, french roast is just a style of roasting the beans. Maybe the Germans added sugar to the process.

War time rationing probably saw a lot of additives. Maybe their pencil shavings had a high sugar content?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Jah!  undt don't even get me started about zee taste of zGerman crack!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
read the Coffee Conisseur thread....I used to get some stuff called Jacobs in Germany that was the smoothest, richest coffee I've ever had.  No bitterness at all.  Super fine grind.  Sure wish I could find it here in the States
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the recent coffee thread, and get some blue mountain coffee at $28/lib, the coffee of James Bond 007.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top