Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 12:18:08 PM EDT
Well its not bad enough that I have almost killed my self off with some good salsa. But the wife wants burritos for dinner tonight.
First off what is a good receipt for Mexican rice (you know the red type you get at restaurants).  Second how do you go about grilling the burrito closed (without getting shit everywhere)?

God I’m going to be hating tomorrow!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a white boy, so I just throw some salsa in my rice and kinda fry it all in a pan. (Cook the rice first...duhh)

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well its not bad enough that I have almost killed my self off with some good salsa. But the wife wants burritos for dinner tonight.
First off what is a good receipt for Mexican rice (you know the red type you get at restaurants).  Second how do you go about grilling the burrito closed (without getting shit everywhere)?

First...no such thing. I can't stand mex rice.

Second.....use bigger shells, or don't fill 'em so full. If you need to know more than that, stop at taco bell on the way home, buy a burrito, and examine it carefully as you unfold it when you get home. Repeat in reverse order.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Second.....use bigger shells, or don't fill 'em so full. If you need to know more than that, stop at taco bell on the way home, buy a burrito, and examine it carefully as you unfold it when you get home. Repeat in reverse order.

LOL

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

Uh, I was serious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
buy the mexican rice at local store- all in a bag- just add water
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
grill a burrito?

waht are you doing on the side ....soup sandwiches?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Brown 1 cup rice.
In same pan add 1/2 teaspoon minced onion, lightly sautee with rice.
Add enough water to cover rice .
Add 2 tablespoons crushed whole peeled tomato.
Add 1 teaspoon tomato paste.
Simmer together till rice is tender.
Don't add to much water or you get mush.
Watch carefully or the rice will burn as water evaporates!

Vary ingredients to taste.

As for the burritos, make the filling you want, then roll it into tortilla.
Real Tex Mex never grill burritos, just the meat that goes in them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
grill a burrito?

Yeah....do you use a flat grill, or a real 'grill'?

I've been doing mexican 'lettuce wraps' lately.......taco meat wrapped in lettuce, maybe with some cheese.

Low fat, no carbs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
grill a burrito?

Some one here had in a dinner pict a burrito that was grilled closed. And it looked damn good!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Brown some achiote and garlic in olive oil, then remove the seeds and garlic.
Rinse all the starch off the rice first.
Add uncooked rice to the oil and cook until translucent.
Add chicken broth to be slightly drier than the usual rice/water ratio.
Add salt to taste and maybe some cumin.
Simmer till it absords all the water, fluff and eat.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
grill a burrito?

I've been doing mexican 'lettuce wraps' lately.......taco meat wrapped in lettuce, maybe with some cheese.

Low fat, no carbs.

Get the low carb tortillas made by
Mission. They are awesome and only
have about 8g of eff carbs. I've been
making sandwiches for weeks using
them and it has not affected my
weight at all.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
grill a burrito?

Low fat, no carbs.

Get the low carb tortillas made by
Mission. They are awesome and only
have about 8g of eff carbs. I've been
making sandwiches for weeks using
them and it has not affected my
weight at all.

I'll look for those.....last week I bought some 'wraps' things in the wal-mart deli...not NEARLY as good as the subway/arby's wraps shells. The ones I bought were way too thick, hard to wrap.

Anybody know where you can buy the wraps things subway/arby's uses?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Now this is just too freaking much. ADVICE??? on Tex-Mex  food from VT and TN.  WTF???

Heat the tortilla (big burrito size) on a skillet or grill to get hot and flexible, not a SHELL for gawd's sake,  .  Add the makings to taste. Plase real meat, but that brown ground beef and add Schilling spices crap, that don't cut it.    Add them close to the side,  fold a small flap over straight and roll that about half a roll.  Take the two round ends  and fold them both over sealing the makings in.  Now roll the rest of the way.  They tortilla needs to be hot and flexible enough to crack while doing the above folding and rolling.  Can you leave it on to kind of grill it a little more, yeah but it isn't necessary.  After the half olf you can fold only one side over and then roll, the idea is to seal the end against leaking, if you leave one end open that's fine, it's like you ate down to there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
If your eating rice from a TN restaurant or anything that's yellow, it's not mexican rice.  I asked the wife for directions.

In a medium pot, add a little veggie oil, enough to coat the bottom and then some.  
lightly brown 1 cup of rice, then add 2 cups of water and boil.  
After it starts to boil, she adds to taste, 1-2 tablespoons of  KNORR chicken and tomato buillon.
Reduce heat and cover for a least 20 minutes.   You can add a little chopped onion, tomato or cilantro if you like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top