Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:02 AM EDT
On live now on NASATV. Damn.

This is (was?) the Genesis Solar Wind probe. The plan was to snag the vehicle by helicopter at about 14,000 feet, but its parachute never deployed. It looks relatively intact, but I would guess that the samples have been compromised. Bummer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Now the Dems are going to pile on and whine to cut more funding...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, that sucks.  That was some valuable scientific data.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, that sucks.  Somehow it must be George Bush's fault, right?    Give the dems time, and it will be.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is it that NASA can screw up a wet dream?

They used to be the envy of the world.  Now they are the world's ridicule.

WTF?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
They just said that it impacted at around 100mph.  I wonder if any of the material can survive that.

Any wild speculation on why the chute failed?  Is it a terrorist plot to unleash an alien virus on the earth?  Is it aliens themselves disabling the chute so that they can escape the vehicle undetected after impact?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey folks.  We had 2 rovers waaay outlive their lifespan on Mars when everybodly else lost theirs.  This is a failure for sure.  But shit man, this is rocket science, not basket weaving.  Let's just be glad it was an unmanned failure.  There are going to be setbacks when your trvelling 30,000 miles an hour...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
How many other countries are exploring space?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a picture of it now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you have any idea how many launches and retrievals are successful? I know my company builds many many rockets and satelites that go up all the time. I'll bet the success ratio is better than the medical industry, auto of computer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
That shit'll buff out!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#13]
That'll buff out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That shit'll buff out!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That shit'll buff out!

Damn it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They just said that it impacted at around 100mph.  I wonder if any of the material can survive that.

Any wild speculation on why the chute failed?  Is it a terrorist plot to unleash an alien virus on the earth?  Is it aliens themselves disabling the chute so that they can escape the vehicle undetected after impact?  

I dont see any nylon out at all. Total malfunction (complete failure of deployment sequence to initiate).
Not a parachute problem exactly. Ow!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#17]
too bad
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
so let me get this straight, it re-enters the atmosphere... freefalls because of no chute, and it only impacted at 100 mph?  Is that right?

No it was hauling ass and jumped up at the last second...like in an elevator when the cable breaks...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
WHo came up with the idea of using hollywood stunt pilots in helicopters to catch a speeding satellite?

No really, I am sure it sounded like a great idea at the planning meeting, but come on guys, there had to be somebody who said "Get a friggin grip".

Stunt pilots, helicopters?  Thats the best NASA could come up with? We are doomed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
so let me get this straight, it re-enters the atmosphere... freefalls because of no chute, and it only impacted at 100 mph?  Is that right?

That's what they said the telemetry showed.  As it descended it was spinning like a saucer would spin on a flat surface.  I suppose that's what slowed it down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#23]
It's Bushs fault
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#24]
It's really a crashed UFO and the .gov is using the satelite deal as a cover-up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#25]
In 1994 John Kerry was one of just a handful of Democrats that voted AGAINST funding functional parachutes on space probes.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In 1994 John Kerry was one of just a handful of Democrats that voted AGAINST funding functional parachutes on space probes.  

The next day he reversed his position.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Here's a picture of it now.
www.foxnews.com/images/137503/3_21_090804_space2.jpg

Ok! So what the hell did it look like before?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, the concept is sound.

The Fulton Recovery System has been proven to work on many types of aircraft including the C-130.

The Fulton recovery kit was dropped to the person to be recovered who then puts on the overall-type harness.
A large, helium-filled balloon used to raise a 450-foot (136.5 meters) nylon lift line. The MC-130P engages the line with its V-shaped yoke and the individual is reeled on board. Red flags on the lift line guide the pilot during daylight recoveries; lights on the lift line are used for night recoveries.
The MC-130P flies towards the lift line at 150 miles per hour (240 kilometers per hour), snags it with scissors-like arms located on the aircraft nose and the person or equipment is lifted off, experiencing less shock than that caused by a parachute opening. Aircrew members then use a hydraulic winch to pull the person or equipment aboard through the open rear cargo door.

This method of sattilite recovery is nothing new, the Corona Project used aircraft to snag the canisters.

The satellites used film canisters that were returned to earth in capsules (a.k.a. "buckets") for evaluation. These capsules were designed to be recovered by a specially equipped aircraft during parachute descent,

MC-130P with Fulton Recovery blades in stowed position.

Recovery blades extended.

Early Fulton Recovery System testing done by US Navy with P2V aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's really a crashed UFO and the .gov is using the satelite deal as a cover-up.

Yeah, I sure we intercepted a UFO and shot it down and the military just decided to call it a "space probe"
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Terminal Velocity.
I think a person free falling can only reach around 180.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#32]
What was it's mission, taking pictures of Uranus or collecting skid mark samples?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Why didn't someone put a matress down?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Tin Foil Hat time.
Since when do we land/splat/recover space probes at the Dugway proving grounds?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Why didn't someone put a matress down?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#36]
IIRC, it was Dick Marcinko who was the first human tester of the Fulton Recovery system.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#37]
They should have just built a big ass baseball glove and towed it around the desert. Would have made for great TV.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#38]
The whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Solar wind particles? Origins of the universe? What were they going to do, reverse engineer a new universe?

NASA needs to be gutted and privatized. Dick and Burt Rutan would have made that shit work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The whole thing is fucking ridiculous. Solar wind particles? Origins of the universe? What were they going to do, reverse engineer a new universe?

NASA needs to be gutted and privatized. Dick and Burt Rutan would have made that shit work.

A better understanding of Solar Winds will lead to next gen propulsion systems.
Understanding of the origins of the Universe will answer the Big Bang/Big Crunch, Is there a God, Is there intelligent life out there questions.
And please, please let's not let this spin into a cyber-theological rage fest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#40]

IIRC, it was Dick Marcinko who was the first human tester of the Fulton Recovery system.

I saw this system used in the movie "The Green Berets"...was this the same guy?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#41]
they used to do this kind of shit in the '50s and '60s with the "Corona" spy satellites.

why can't they do it now?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Understanding of the origins of the Universe will answer the Big Bang/Big Crunch, Is there a God, Is there intelligent life out there questions.

Look, I'm not going to debate astrophysics, as I'd get my ass handed to me.. I stick by my second point though. Anything the .gov does can be done better and cheaper in the private sector.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I'm not going to debate astrophysics, as I'd get my ass handed to me.. I stick by my second point though. Anything the .gov does can be done better and cheaper in the private sector.

Only if there is a profit to be made.
What ROI is there on collecting solar wind particles?
This is pure research.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Hielo, if you only retracted the skylight on your commode it could have safely landed on your stockpile of Eqyption cotton toiletpaper...  Surely your computer systems in the lieu could have tracked the telemetry.

Dude, it is just a little laptop in here.  And cottonelle is a far cry from Egyptian cotton toilet paper.

Don't be a hater.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Only if there is a profit to be made.
What ROI is there on collecting solar wind particles?
This is pure research.

To be sure, a free market economy isn't built on altruism, but this kind of thing could be outsourced to a company that has to be accountable and not explode tax money in the desert.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#47]
HAHAHAHAHAAAA!
DICK MARCINKO!!!
NOT!!!

From "A good pick-me-up" - Robert Fulton's Skyhook and Operation Coldfeet

www.cia.gov/csi/studies/95unclass/Leary.html

All American System
An innovative extraction method, reportedly used by the British toward the end of the war, involved the use of a modified version of a mail pickup system that had been invented by Lytle S. Brown during the 1920s and perfected before Pearl Harbor by All American Aviation. The All American system used two steel poles, set 54 feet apart, with a transfer line strung between them. An aircraft approached the ground station in a gentle glide of 90 mph, while a flight mechanic paid out a 50-foot steel cable. As the aircraft pulled up, a four-finger grapple at the end of the cable engaged the transfer rope, shock absorbers cushioned the impact, and then the flight mechanic winched the mail pouch on board.(1)

In July 1943, the need to rescue airmen from difficult terrain led to tests of this system by the Army Air Forces. Initial results, using instrumented containers, were not promising. The instruments recorded accelerations in excess of 17 g's following the pickup, a force far in excess of what the human body could tolerate. Changes in the transfer line and modifications in the parachute harness, however, brought this down to a more acceptable 7 g's. The first live test, with a sheep, failed when the harness twisted and strangled the animal. On subsequent tests other sheep fared better.

Lt. Alex Doster, a paratrooper, volunteered for the first human pickup, made on 5 September 1943. After a Stinson engaged the transfer rope at 125 mph, Doster was first yanked vertically off the ground, then soared off behind the aircraft. It took less than three minutes to retrieve him.

The Air Force continued to improve the system, even developing a package containing telescoping poles, transfer line, and harness that could be dropped by air. The first operational use of the system came in February 1944, when a C-47 snagged a glider in a remote location in Burma and returned it to India. Although the Air Force never used it to pick up individuals, the British apparently did use it to retrieve agents.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.  Somehow it must be George Bush's fault, right?    Give the dems time, and it will be.

Woody

From DU:

gauguin57 (1000+ posts)
Wed Sep-08-04 02:10 PM
Response to Original message
7. I wanna know how Karl Rove pulled this off.

AWOL story should be all over the place. But all I'm hearing on the news is Genesis crash, Genesis crash, Genesis crash.

Maybe Rove figured raising the terror level to red would be too flashy a way to get the media off the AWOL story. So he got NASA to make the chutes fail.

I'm not kidding.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x2326014
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Very sad.  I watched the poor little guy spinning all the way down.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Have to say it..............................

May we present,

The Worlds Most Expensive Yard Dart!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top