Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 5:28:19 AM EDT
Dad is looking at a laptop as a substitute for a PC cos you can surf the net anywhere at home etc.

What  brands do you recommend or advise against?

What features should we look for?

Should we get the Centrino or Pentium 4?  Whats the diff?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Centrino

IBM or toshiba

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
IBM,HP, P4 with at least 512RAM
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thinkpad (what I'm on at the moment - 5 years old and still going strong)

a touch more expensive but so much better in the long run.

try www.pcconnection.com , they often have closeout models

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using a laptop for the last year, and love it.
It's as fast and has as many options as a desk top, plus I can take it anywhere.
Heck, it's what I'm on right now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last, no matter what, pay for at least a 3-year warranty FROM THE MANUFACTURER (no 3rd-Party warranties).  

ditto +100000000
Make sure the warranty covers the LCD. Some don't.

Brands:
Dell
IBM
Toshiba
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Using an IBM Thinkpad R40 right now and for the last year.  It has been the best computer I have owned and the only thing I have used for the last year. The wife uses the desktop now.  I love it because I can take it anywhere, was only a little bit more than a comparable desktop, and I can do things like I am doing now: Sitting on the couch watching a movie and playing on my laptop with my wireless connection to my internet service. Can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay away from Dell!!! and this is why!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Centrino Thinkpad
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
IBM (best, lightest, most expensive)
Dell (good service, good systems, cheaper than IBM)
HP (good service, decent systems)

I have several Dell systems.  All of my HP systems are now junked.  I wish I could afford an IBM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I haved had IBM Thinkpads (work supplied) and now an HP, both are nice.

I have a personal Toshiba, and am very satisfied with it.  Just bought my daughter an HP for college.

Laptops will do most anything a full size desktop with do.

My company no longer has desktops for most of the employees.  Went to laptops, and they bring them home for quick access 24/7.

Good case is a necessity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
BUY AN IBM THINKPAD.  They are worth the money.

Just and FYI:  I have a 5100 series Dell.  Unfortunately, I have found out that this thing has heat issues that I was not aware of.  Dell doesn't acknowlege this because then they would have a class action lawsuit on thier hands.  When using my HELL latop for extended periods, I can FEEL the heat being generated.  So, DO NOT BUY A DELL.  The only reason I bought a HELL is because the IBM Thinkpads are EXPENSIVE.  But, if I would have known then what I know now, I would have said "screw it" and purchased the IBM.

Here's a big F-U to DELL, aka HELL,  for trying to hide the defect in ther 5100 series laptops!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
As a rule Dell is the least expensive both new and used. IBM was running a sale on their site a couple of weeks ago for an I believe T21 or T23 certified that would fit your needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
You want a Pentium M, which is specifically designed for laptops, and give similar performance with less battery drain than the P4.

Get the fastest you can afford with as much memory as you can cram into it.

HP and IBM are great. Those are the two I have direct experience with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top