Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2004 4:14:20 AM EDT
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2783410

Renewal of assault weapon ban shot down in Senate
With president on the sidelines, its sponsor says, bill has no chance
By GEBE MARTINEZ
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The fight to renew a favored ban on assault weapons effectively died Tuesday after the lead Senate sponsor of a bill to continue restrictions on the sale and manufacture of some semi-automatic weapons conceded defeat.

"Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires.

President Bush has indicated he would sign an extension of the 1994 law if Congress got it to his desk. But Bush has not asked the House to pass it, and congressional Republican leaders, including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, have refused to bring it to the floor for a vote.

A survey released this week by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey in Philadelphia found that 68 percent of Americans want Congress to extend the gun law.

But gun manufacturers already are marketing military-style firearms in preparation for the rollback of the weapons law, according to a study released Tuesday by the Consumer Federation of America, a nonprofit collection of 300 consumer groups.

The consumer group interviewed gun industry experts and marketing representatives and surveyed manufacturers' catalogs and Web sites. At least one company offers a nonrefundable prepayment option to those looking for a head start.

As a result, "assault weapons are going to be more lethal and less expensive," said Susan Peschin, firearms project director at the federation.

Earlier this year, 52 senators voted for the ban on manufacturing 19 types of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns and on ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds. But it was part of a bill that was later defeated.

While some House members are expected to try to attach the ban to another "must-pass" bill this session, a pragmatic Feinstein said the fight is over for now. She vowed to re-introduce an assault weapons ban next year.

"If the president says he's going to sign the bill — and that indicates he supports the bill — but he does not do anything to help it pass, the bill will fail," Feinstein said.

Nonetheless, groups continue to campaign until the deadline.

For example, the National Rifle Association gun lobby warned on its Web site that it "cannot take anything for granted." It vowed to "pull out all the stops" to make sure the ban isn't renewed.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, questioned the effectiveness of the current ban and said supporters of gun owners' rights fear a new law might overreach "to all kinds of hunting rifles. Automatic weapons are banned already."

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It ain't over until Monday.
She's just trying to get us to relax so she can stuff it down our throats at the last minute.
I don't believe a damn thing that woman says.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody...not me, but somebody needs to take one for the team and stuff one down her throat until Monday at midnight.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]

This is pretty much what I expected.  They are out of options so now they'll just blame it on Bush.  

They only have today and tomorrow to do anything, and it's not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
And the irony is, I'm looking at picking up a S&W model 10 for my collection.    Not an assault weapon, but it is the FBI "most notorious handgun" due to sheer volume of production.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Gentlement it isn't over yet.

Feinstein all but has horns protruding from her head, I expect her/them to at least try to pull a fast one today, tomorrow, or Friday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
She is trying to set us up!

Keep the heat on!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]

F*CK FEINSTIEN!    
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And the irony is, I'm looking at picking up a S&W model 10 for my collection.    Not an assault weapon, but it is the FBI "most notorious handgun" due to sheer volume of production.

Considering it made it's debut in 1899 and that it's estimated about six million have been produced to date, I'm not all that suprised.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
She is trying to set us up!

Keep the heat on!

WORD!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a result, "assault weapons are going to be more lethal and less expensive," said Susan Peschin, firearms project director at the federation.

How will they be more lethal?  Why does anyone not ask that one simple question and expect a direct no nonsense answer?

Excellent point, Shotar. Excellent point. I swear the idiots in the NRA hierarcy outnumber the smart people 5-1.

The only NRA lobbyist I ever saw in action was about as effective as yesterday's roadkill...after the vultures picked the carcass clean.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ALRIGHT!  

Hey, don't forget, after the ban sunsets, they will be 'on the streets'.  I plan on driving around neighborhoods to find some assault weapons lying in the streets!  And apparently I will be able to buy Uzis from ice cream truck drivers.   What a deal!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It ain't over until Monday.
She's just trying to get us to relax so she can stuff it down our throats at the last minute.
I don't believe a damn thing that woman says.

+1 Just trying to get our guard down. My wife mentioned last night that we should have a party the night the ban goes away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Reminds me of an old saying...

Politicians are like diapers.  They should be changed often and for the same reason.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
"Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires.

That quote is nothing more than an election-year swipe at Bush...

We're not fooled, Ms. Feinswine...we'll party on the 13th, but until then, it's ON!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:48:06 AM EDT
[#18]
It still amazes me the outright lies that gun grabbers will tell to further their cause.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:53:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh shit!  Now.  

What does she mean by midnight Monday?  Is  that Like late Sunday night meaning the 13th, or late Monday night meaning the 14th?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#20]
What a fucking cunt.  Good thing my AR15 doesn't have that evil bayonet lug, which according to the article makes it much more deadly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh shit!  Now.  

What does she mean by midnight Monday?  Is  that Like late Sunday night meaning the 13th, or late Monday night meaning the 14th?

Well, according to the Gentlelady from California's own website, the ban "expired" 4 days ago

12:00:01 AM Monday, it's gone!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
F*CK FEINSTIEN!    

Hey, rn45, I think that we have a volunteer here!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

F*CK FEINSTIEN!    

Not me!  I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
It's OVER! They cannot possibly push a bill through the Senate and the House in two days. It would be impossible.

Quoted:
Gentlement it isn't over yet.

Feinstein all but has horns protruding from her head, I expect her/them to at least try to pull a fast one today, tomorrow, or Frida

y.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
*raises hands... steps forward*  I'll take one for the team...  But you guys ow me a mint pre-ban (pre-94 I'm in NY afterall) HK-94, HK-93, FN FNC, Sig 550 series, Daewoo K2, Krinkov 5.45 and a nice AK sidefolder.  Guys, you do that for me and I'll nail her eight ways until Monday... poor old Goat will be too tired to fight for the ban... and if you throw in an MP5SD and store it for me in a free state, well I'll stuff it in the pooper and take pics for all you sickos!

You sure, Hiram?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Look man, sacrifices need to be made!  Oh, and I expect all the ammo those toys can eat for a year... and a 55 gallon drum of lysol to delouse myself after!

Too bad you won't be able to enjoy shooting any of those toys.  Since you would go blind from the sight of her.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#29]
HR,

I'll tag team with you so you can take a vomit break now and then.

That IS a nice AK she's got there, I hope she knows that thing is illegal in DC and Kali., wherever she is, I'd hate to be front row while she's swingin' that thing around with her finger on the trigger
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ALRIGHT!  

Let me know when you start your sale pricing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Somebody...not me, but somebody needs to take one for the team and stuff one down her throat until Monday at midnight.  

Make sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#32]
When is she up for re-election?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

F*CK FEINSTIEN!    

not even with your dick
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How will they be more lethal?  Why does anyone not ask that one simple question and expect a direct no nonsense answer?

Why its the bayonet mount, of course....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALRIGHT!  

Sure! Just think of all the calls you'll have to go to for "Driveby Bayonettings"
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

F*CK FEINSTIEN!    

Not even with Clinton's dick.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why its the bayonet mount, of course....

Oh no you might poke some one, thats no good you want to shoot them. Stabbing them will just pissem off.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F*CK FEINSTIEN!    

Not even with Clinton's dick.

Which Clinton?    
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When is she up for re-election?

Anybody know so we can mount a "fvck Feinswine" campaign and get her out of office?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#40]
How about a get the Boxer out of california first.  She is as rabid an antigunner that ever was.

You know the one who IS up for reelection in california right now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
*raises hands... steps forward*  I'll take one for the team...  But you guys ow me a mint pre-ban (pre-94 I'm in NY afterall) HK-94, HK-93, FN FNC, Sig 550 series, Daewoo K2, Krinkov 5.45 and a nice AK sidefolder.  Guys, you do that for me and I'll nail her eight ways until Monday... poor old Goat will be too tired to fight for the ban... and if you throw in an MP5SD and store it for me in a free state, well I'll stuff it in the pooper and take pics for all you sickos!

You sir are a true patriot.  I'd suggest Compazine to control the nausea.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Your a braver man than I Hiram, I wouldn't be able to get past her "Depends".
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Your a braver man than I Hiram, I wouldn't be able to get past her "Depends".

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#44]
MICHIGAN MEMBERS NEED TO PREPARE FOR ANOTHER FIGHT!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=184292

They are attempting a last minute blitz to get a state AWB!

Follow the link. You will find the story and a link to locate and contact your state Reps and Senator!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#45]

so it does expire on the 14th
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Look at the woeful expression on that herfer in the background, to the right of Sweinswein (No - not the one w/ the facial hair):

I normally don't think twice about it, but the constant naive drama that often accompanies liberal press pronouncements is becoming labored.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#47]
All Michigan voters!!!

Call the office of Jim Howell, he is the chairman of the house judiciary committee!!

517-373-0837

He is somewhat for magazine bans but he is swaying to the good side! NRA and MCRGO arguments are working on him but he needs support to do the right thing.

Follow the link. You will find the story and a link to locate and contact your state Reps and Senator!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No, it expires midnight Monday, which is 12:00 Monday (the 13th). 11:59 PM Sunday night (the 12th) is it's last minute.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Give me some plausible michigan address/zip code info to use and I'll call too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it expires midnight Monday, which is 12:00 Monday (the 13th). 11:59 PM Sunday night (the 12th) is it's last minute.

oh ok got ya
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top