Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 3:09:10 AM EDT
I would be using 750grain BT's and I the farthest I would be shooting is 1,000 yds at max, but the norm would most likely be between 700-800 yds.  I would also be lugging the rifle around for several hours a day at times.  On the other hand, this rifle won't be used in competitions at all so I'm not after extreme accuracy;  the two most important things to me are the length and the weight of the rifle.

Using the info above can you recomend the minimum length the barrel should be for shooting at the aforementiond distances?  27", 24", 21", maybe less?

Also, can you recomend some scopes that can handle the recoil of the .50 that would have an  appropriate magnification for said distances;  and could you also recomend the best all around reticle for general shooting purposes (i.e. hunting, and *non-competitive* target practice)

I have posted this in the .50cal forum as well but I don't think it will get as many responses as it will here so, if any of you could assist me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Larry A.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Damm you must be young wanting to haul a .50 around for several hrs a day. You might want to skip the barrel length question and go to what type of helper (pack-mule, other) your going to need to get this idea operational. I would think you need to keep at least a barrel lenght of 30" plus brake to get any benfit out of the rd. Might just want to stick with a .300WM and save your back
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
556AMMO - JasoninVA ??? had a 19" barrel done for his .50.  It came out really nice.  I'll try to find the link to the Hite Hollow shoot last fall.  It had pictures of it.  Shot good and made it real loud.

ETA - Thread was too long ago.  No link, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Call me skeptical, but the type of questions you’re asking and your User Name don’t compute.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Call me skeptical, but the type of questions you’re asking and your User Name don’t compute.

I was thinking the same thing but at least he lives several states away and I shouldn't see him out in the field. The rest of you beware concret,steel along with alot of distance are the only things that are going to help you with this rd.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing but at least he lives several states away and I shouldn't see him out in the field. The rest of you beware concret,steel along with alot of distance are the only things that are going to help you with this rd.

Would you feel better if my name was BoBo the Clown?

Sniper_408:

Sniper - because I admire their abilities.

408 - because the .408 cheytac round is one bad-ass long range round.

Now, do you have any helpful answers to the questions I've asked?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you feel better if my name was BoBo the Clown?

Sniper_408:

Sniper - because I admire their abilities.

408 - because the .408 cheytac round is one bad-ass long range round.

See the above
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I dunno,

is this what you're looking for?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno,

is this what you're looking for?

images.hasbro.com/common/images/products/52584_imageMain400.jpg

Didn’t mean to get his polyps in a fire fight but damm the rd stays in flight for days he’s talking about practicing his rural ninga skills out to 1000yds which he wouldn’t know what his backstop is just isn’t right. Don’t know a thing about this 408 Cheytac rd. call me a DA on that one, sounds like a Chevy mtr.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=176044
CHRIS

Thank you, all the help I needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top