Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:23 PM EDT
My friend is selling some car parts on the internet and the deal is starting to sound like something I read here a month or so ago. He is getting a check from Holland for $5K more than the parts he is selling and he is supposed to forward on the remaining 5K to a third party that is handling the shipping of the parts back to Holland. Told my bud that I read about a scam on AR15.com like that and he should not trust the deal. He said he is going to cash the check at a check cask place instead of depositing in his bank account to insure the check is good. Did some one post on here recently about a gun purchase going down like this recently? I can't  find the post.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
well if he has the cash in his hands when he does it I wouldnt worry about it
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't check cashing places charge a percentage to perform the service?

I have to think if the check bounces he will still be on the hook.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't hear it here but it is a scam. Usually the check comes from Africa though
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely a scam.  When he forwards the $5k, that's his real money.  But the check he will try to deposit will bounce.

I don't know of any check cashing service that will cash a check written on a foreign bank.  All he can do is deposit it and hope it clears (which will take a long time).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
An old scam.  Call the bank that the check is drawn on, if it actually exists.  I ran into one of these deals.  Got a very nice looking cashiers check which turned out to be counterfeit.  A good con works on the marks own greed.  Think about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top