Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 4:09:35 PM EDT
Axial images demonstrate broad based disc bulge at L3-4 and facet hypertrophy causing mild central canal and bilateral recess narrowing.

At L4-5 there is a large left paracentral disc herniation causing moderate to severe central canal and left lateral recess narrowing. There is diffuse disc bulge which causes mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing as well.

This all translates to me being in a world of shit.  The pain is just bearable but better with medication.

I didn't post this for sympathy. I am asking for similar experiences and the treatments and outcomes.

Back in 1989 I had surgery on L5-S1 disc and did good untill about three weeks ago. Maybe there is some new treatments out there that are better?

Thanks for any helpful input you can share with me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
See if they've released those cybernetic skeletal replacements/upgrades yet.

In all seriousness...dunno [:\] Most people I know with chronic back problems say a chiropractor has done them a world of good...so long as they continue to go back. If they only come in when there's problems...the interval between visits gets shorter, or so they tell me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out this web site - artificial disk looks promising, may help you - I'm contemplating surgery on (3) herniated cervical disks right now - good luck!  

http://www.espineinstitute.com/AniOperations.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you hurt your back trying to give yourself head?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you hurt your back trying to give yourself head?

Actually I hurt it doing the "wheelbarrow" with your mom. Just kidding! Please don't beat me up!

Pangea
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Suffering from two ruptured discs myself. My feelings go out to you. I have been surviving off of epidurals of synthetic steroids. I was surprised how much they actually helped, but I don't think it is a permanent fix. I just hope it keeps me goign long enough that something other than fusion is an option.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel for ya Pangea, I was just joking, yo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Suffering from two ruptured discs myself. My feelings go out to you. I have been surviving off of epidurals of synthetic steroids. I was surprised how much they actually helped, but I don't think it is a permanent fix. I just hope it keeps me goign long enough that something other than fusion is an option.

The sawbonz told me that they don't call them ruptured disc anymore. They call them herniated. WTF? I thought I knew the difference between a rupture and a herniation. Herniation was a severe bulge and rupture meant the nucleus squirted out. That's what happened to me in '89.

I go to see a neuro in October.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one taken out about seven years ago. Best damn thing I ever did.

rk
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't want my story.....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
October, 1989. I herniated a disc in my lower back lifting a bucket seat from a VW Passat. It wasn't heavy; I just picked it up at an odd angle. Legs gave out and I just dropped to the ground in excruciating pain.

Army doctor started me on physical therapy, but said I might need surgery. I threw myself into physical therapy and stuck with it. I couldn't run PT for about a year, but I did get better. Lots of walking and lots of stretching. I went on to eventually retire from the army.

15 years later I am still okay, although I still get an occasional sore back from working.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently blew out L3-L4 and L4-L5 myself (fall down too much I guess?)... anyway, the military guys defered me to a civilian doctor - by chance one that performed some of the test surgeries for the approval of the artificial disc... He told me that if you can function and take the pain, by all means wait, claims that peopel who receive the disc have like an 86 percent satisfaction rate?

Also, he gave me a series of "core strength" exercises to do and they help more than anything with the pain, I still live with the pain (as well as a hip injury from the same incident), but I went from "prep for surgery" to running a couple of miles again each day (of course the shots help a lot)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
4 years ago I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. I had 2 MRIs to confirm this. I was facing surgery for a fusion procedure. Believe it or not I went to my church and was put on the prayer list. My primary doctor told me to lift weights (very light though) I started that routine and the feeling started coming back in my arms and legs. I had been in pain for 2 years almost and could not even open a coke bottle.

Short story I am now just fine. Prayer or a crazy docs idea, I think both in my case.

Good luck Pangea
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
One of my business partners had a herniated disc... she had some sort of new minimally invasive robotic/orthoscopic surgery done that had her back on her feet, pain free, in only like a week or so.

I think she found the info here:

www.back.com

--Mike

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top