Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 4:02:16 PM EDT
My dad lives in Port St. Lucie and none of us kids* can get through to him on the phone.  His answering machine doesn't even pick up.

Can anyone give me an idea of what is really going on down there?

Greatly appreciated.

I'm going off line and calling the LEO there.  Back in a few mins.

*HAHA!  Just wanted to say "kids" - we're all in our 40s.

Also can't get through to my uncle in South Pasedena (west coast).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I was talking to a buddy today, and he said there is somewhere about 300 cell towers out of service due to the storm(s).  I just went through the same thing with a buddy of mine.  Turns out power/phones were out.  Nowadays, even if you lose powere, 9/10 phones wont work.

John
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.

I called Port St Lucie LEO - 772.871.5000 - nice folks.  They said almost everyone is w/o power and phones there.  May take a few days to get things back up and running.  LEO said they didn't have too much major damage, a few bldgs are roofless, etc.  Bummer.  

We figure we would've heard if they were hurt.  Hopefully.  My dad won't get a cell or computer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Know any ham radio operators? Ask them to send a health and welfare message to him... they can and will get an acknowledgement. It may be just a few hours it may take a few days but they will get through.

This is one aspect of emergency communications where hams actually still fill as vital a role as we once did.

I would send it myself but I am in MO and all my radios are still in NC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Garand,

Good idea!  I'll work on that - I think there is a guy in our shop that has a ham.

Another reason for me to get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top