Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 3:35:30 PM EDT

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=1&u=/ap/20040907/ap_on_fe_st/coroner_shot

Coroner Discussing Gun Safety Shoots Self

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Monroe County Coroner David Toumey was hospitalized with a leg wound after accidentally shooting himself while trying to demonstrate gun safety.

Toumey told The Herald-Times for a story published Saturday that he was demonstrating gun safety to some people at a Lake Monroe boat ramp about 11 p.m. Wednesday when he accidentally shot himself.

He said that as he checked to make sure his weapon was unloaded, the gun discharged, and a bullet struck him in his left leg.

"It's an unfortunate accident," Toumey said. "I've always been very, very safe."

He was taken to Bloomington Hospital and later transferred to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

Toumey said he was scheduled to have surgery Saturday and expects to be in the hospital from three to five days.

Monroe County Sheriff Steve Sharp said he was unable to release details of the shooting because the report had yet to be filed by the deputy assigned to the case.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a video of this?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
 Funny though coming from one of the most liberal areas in IN!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
[
"It's an unfortunate accident," Toumey said. "I've always been very, very safe."

Obviously.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

LMFAO... NOT!!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
they call a medic or a corner?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
 I worked with a guy who shot the tip of his left ring finger off while demonstrating proper gun handling to his wife. We ripped the piss out of him for years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have a real hard time understanding how firearms discharge while "clearing" them for safety!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
How the hell do you do this Its not that easy to pull the slide and have the weapon pointed back at you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
"It's an unfortunate incident," Toumey said. "I've always been very, very stupid."

I fixed it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]

How the hell do you do this Its not that easy to pull the slide and have the weapon pointed back at you.

More than likely he was reholstering with his finger inside the trigger guard and the chamber wasn't clear.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He said that as he checked to make sure his weapon was unloaded, the gun discharged, and a bullet struck him in his left leg.

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!  GOD ACTUALLY MIRACLED A BULLET INTO THE CHAMBER!  

Maybe if I pray real hard I can have a gun that never runs out of ammo, like the ones they have in Hollyweird.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
WOW!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#17]
well... he obviously had the gun loaded, and he must've pointed it down at his leg while he pulled the slide back.  Without knowin what kind of gun it was, thats my guess...

what a 'tard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
FUCKTARD
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
My buddy shot himself in the left hand trying to show me how to disassemble a Glock.

I laughed my ass off at him!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FUCKTARD

I concur.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
What not to do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I read about this on another board a couple of days ago.  There is a lot not being said about this.  

Think the D word.
Also the S word.

Can you say coverup by the political elite?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Airwolf: the should'nt have used his own personal carry gun for this demo. A local PD guy did a gun safety demo, but he brought a couple of guns from his personal gun collection, and never once did he unholster his duty gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
FUCKTARD

Cool, I forgot "fucktard." Two of the coolest words I learned on ar15.com: asshat and fucktard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Gun safety is a lot more effective when you don't have your finger on the trigger.

Maybe he didn't get the memo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah really. Point gun in safe direction. Drop magazine and the while still pointing in a safe direction draw back the slide to eject the loaded round (if there is one) and look into the chamber and all in the gun to make sure it is clear. Then while still pointing in a safe direction, let the slide go forwar and then drop the hammer.

whats so hard about that?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FUCKTARD

Cool, I forgot "fucktard." Two of the coolest words I learned on ar15.com: asshat and fucktard.

You forgot fuckwit and fuckass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#29]
$40 for a blue training pistol, likely cheaper on county letterhead.  Since when do coroners conduct gun safety classes for "some people" at night on a boat ramp anyway?  He must have been talking up his role on the new CSI Bloomington.

From the DNR, don't know how Indiana CCW applies on state parks and rec areas.

"Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and
arrow must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored
in a case or locked within a vehicle except in accordance
with the terms of a one (1) day hunting
permit and record card obtained from a hunter signin
station and possessed by the person in the field
for a specified date."

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I read about this on another board a couple of days ago.  There is a lot not being said about this.  

Think the D word.  (I'm guessing Drunk)
Also the S word.   (I don't know what S word you mean Stoned? Stupid? Sexual Deviant?)

Can you say coverup by the political elite?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Just before the ND  -- " And here is what you don't do."

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FUCKTARD

You forgot fuckwit and fuckass.

And poo-stabber.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#33]
fortunatly it wasn't fatal; he might have had to do his own autopsy.    mcole
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
11 pm?????  Does that shound a bit strange to anyone else?  

He was hammered, asked "do you guys wanna see something cool" went to his boat pulled out his shiny pistol, his lady friend says " Oh my god its a gun, is it dangerous" he says " oh no I know what I am doing, here hold my beer" then he pulls back the slide, sees nothing in the champer but when he releases the slide chambers a round from the magazine. "see its safe watch" pulls the trigger, bang " oh fuck my leg I shot myself in my leg"
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#35]
must have been a Glock...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was hammered, asked "do you guys wanna see something cool" went to his boat pulled out his shiny pistol, his lady friend says " Oh my god its a gun, is it dangerous" he says " oh no I know what I am doing, here hold my beer" then he pulls back the slide, sees nothing in the champer but when he releases the slide chambers a round from the magazine. "see its safe watch" pulls the trigger, bang " oh fuck my leg I shot myself in my leg"

Boat ramps, especially at 11pm, are like an episode of Jerry Springer.  My buddy's home is next to one and one of our main forms of recreation is watching the entertainment.  

I swear we should just put a 24hr video feed there.  Between the BOTD, the trailer trash gettin in fights, the cops bustin DUIs, the boats slamming into stuff, trucks burning out clutches, the jetskiers on strafing runs and coroners shooting themselves we could make a mint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Real bright guy...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boat ramps, especially at 11pm, are like an episode of Jerry Springer.  My buddy's home is next to one and one of our main forms of recreation is watching the entertainment.  

I swear we should just put a 24hr video feed there.  Between the BOTD, the trailer trash gettin in fights, the cops bustin DUIs, the boats slamming into stuff, trucks burning out clutches, the jetskiers on strafing runs and coroners shooting themselves we could make a mint.

Way ahead of you.  We thought of that right after the guy went berserk because he had to wait to launch his jetski and started shooting at boats already on the water with a Marlin .22 and a 30/30.  I always concentrate on boat ramps during patrol.  Lots of potential there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top