Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 2:48:09 PM EDT
30 second recap for those who haven't seen it.  Terrorists hit New York by more conventional terrorist means (like those used in Israel) and blow up a bus, a theater, and the FBI counterterrorism building.  The President calls in the army to root out the remaining cells operating in New York.  Arabs are rounded up into concentration camps, and the borrough of Brooklyn is under martial law.

I know it's Hollywood, but how many of you think it would (or wouldn't) happen?  Personally, I think it would happen.  Gen. Tommy Frank seems to think so too.  So how about it, would the army be deployed inside the United States borders in response to a series of terrorist strikes???
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't  know, but the US Army patrolling US streets would get ugly FAST.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It could happen.  Remember the LA riots?  National Guardsmen will be asked to assist local PD and it will escalate from there.  SHTF for Muslims living here.  Some lines maybe crossed and vigilante groups will roam the streets before military intervention.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunatly, the suicide bombings are not far from reality at all. IMHO it is a miracle that it hasn't happened already. The National Guard patrolling the streets also seems likely in such a situation, and would probably be necessary in most cities. I have no doubt that if there was a suicide bombing in my city, anyone thought to be muslim or arab would be killed as a result.

The regular Army is busy fighting 2 wars. It is more likely that the Police, particularly those militarized police that noone here sees a reason for would become much more active.

The idea of putting Americans into concentration camps because f their race or religion is a disturbing one, and is also quite unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

how so?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how so?

Could be the fact that 50% of this country are retarded liberals... oh and most people here wouldn't like the Army patrolling either...

I mean population wise, it could get pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel the NG is illprepared to combat insurgents of any kind. To pull a quote from this movie "the army is a broadsword, not a scalpel".  

I also agree it is a small miracle that there have not been any suicide bombings here, yet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty fucking far from reality.  In every way possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I disagree. While there are certainly many parts of that movie that are unrealistic, some are very close to reality. As I said before, it is a miracle that there haven't been suicide bombings here yet. There is nothing to stop it from happening.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  

That's fine.  You're wrong.  They haven't and won't round up a significant percentage of Arab-Americans in the way shown in the movie.  No one has the political balls to do it.  They haven't and won't put the military in charge of the city in the way depicted in the movie.  The hunt for the terrorists in the US would be done by federal law enforcement.  Martial law on that scale would KILL the economy and won't be done except in the case of a national emergency such as a killer plague or something exotic like an asteroid strike.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How so?

Concentration camps are not likely, but NG moving into help patrol streets from terrorists, looters, and vigilantes... highly likely.  I think.

Several terror bombings in one city will shut that city down, as 9-11 shut down all the airports and all flights.  
PD stretched to it's max, leading to looting and vigilantes killing Muslims...
I'm glad it hasn't happen yet, but... I think it very likely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how so?

Could be the fact that 50% of this country are retarded liberals... oh and most people here wouldn't like the Army patrolling either...

what are retarded liberals gonna do though? protest?
and members here are going to try and kill American soldiers? give me a break, half the people here are former Army themselves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  

That's fine.  You're wrong.  They haven't and won't round up a significant percentage of Arab-Americans in the way shown in the movie.  No one has the political balls to do it.  They haven't and won't put the military in charge of the city in the way depicted in the movie.  The hunt for the terrorists in the US would be done by federal law enforcement.  Martial law on that scale would KILL the economy and won't be done except in the case of a national emergency such as a killer plague or something exotic like an asteroid strike.

Um....yeah. You may want to reread my first post on this thread. Also the rest of the post you quoted. Concentration camps, and the 82nd Airborne in New York are unlikely, if not unthinkable. Suicide attacks in the United States....it has already happened.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Martial law on that scale would KILL the economy and won't be done except in the case of a national emergency such as a killer plague or something exotic like an asteroid strike.

Add a nuke hit of any kind to that list.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and members here are going to try and kill American soldiers? give me a break, half the people here are former Army themselves.

Wow, you're just in la-la land. What happens when huge masses of people protest? Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think that the round-ups and detention of Arabs would take place in the current political climate, or even if there were multiple suicide bombings in the US. However, if they were to set off a chemical weapon or a nuke in a US city that would change instantly.

As far as the suicide bombings, I think that militant islam would love to do to this country what they have done to Isreal and other parts of the world. I am amazed (and I thank God) that this has not already begun over here.

I also believe that Martial Law would be declared if we saw another MAJOR terrorist strike on US soil. By "major" I mean something at least as big as 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't know, if Martial Law were imposed, then that would mean society was probably on the verge of collapse. There is no telling what people would do under those circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Immediately, gun sales will rise, but in the long run, will there be more Bans of "assult" type guns and DDs?  Sorry to hijack this tread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top