Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 11:41:46 AM EDT
The popular line is, "Islam isn't bad, there are just extremists who are giving it a bad name". If that's the case, how much should it take for someone to leave their religion? It took me a while to realize that because of pedophile priests, women as second class citizens, and the Kennedies that Catholicism wasn't for me. Were those just extremists giving it a bad name? People weren't being murdered by these people (well, except Mary Jo Kopechne). It surely wasn't the majority, nor was it as extreme as 9/11 and Chechnya. Should Muslims be saying, "Enough, I'm realigning my beliefs."?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
As soon as they hand out bomb belts for my kids.

<Religious slurs removed.>
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It will not happen with Islam.  Nobody is powerful enough to do it where it matters.  In America, all religions hemmorage believers as questioning is allowed, a good life can be had by all.  Not so in other countries.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
IIUC if a Muslim abandons Islam they are to be put to death per religious requirements.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
As soon as the Grand Moolah says "God told ME that YOUR kid needs to commit suicide and kill a bunch of innocent people"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIUC if a Muslim abandons Islam they are to be put to death per religious requirements.

And if they don't , then the commit suicide as per religous requirements.

They're gettin' it both ways!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess when it comes to the point that anybody who denounces the practice of shooting kids in the back, is ridiculed as a Western lap dog.

I am being told not to say that islam is bad.  

Sorry guys, but islam is bad, and evil.  No amount of sugar coating is going to change that fact.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
That's why some muslim critics of Islam have been forced to write under pseudonyms.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591020689/104-1526208-1848758?v=glance
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The popular line is, "Islam isn't bad, there are just extremists who are giving it a bad name". If that's the case, how much should it take for someone to leave their religion? It took me a while to realize that because of pedophile priests, women as second class citizens, and the Kennedies that Catholicism wasn't for me. Were those just extremists giving it a bad name? People weren't being murdered by these people (well, except Mary Jo Kopechne). It surely wasn't the majority, nor was it as extreme as 9/11 and Chechnya. Should Muslims be saying, "Enough, I'm realigning my beliefs."?

1) Pedophile priests

The religion itself is not bad, only the people comitting the sin. The church as a body has strongly condemned the pedophilia. Also remember that the Catholic church makes an inviting target due to its organizational structure. If you have a pedophile minister of some small (baptist/methodist/whatever) congregation, it wouldn'tbe a big deal as that congregation usually doesn't tie in with the rest of the faith community.

2) Women as second class citizens

Where do you get that? Because they can't be priests?

3) Kennedy clan

Just because they CALL themselves catholic doesn't make them so, does it?

You have some important questions, but you need to talk to a priest who can answer your questions. If you still feel at odds, then do what you feel is right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The popular line is, "Islam isn't bad, there are just extremists who are giving it a bad name". If that's the case, how much should it take for someone to leave their religion?

If you can't get a majority of your fellow followers to forcibly eject the bad ones then its time to go. Most of us know what's right in our hearts and no religious affiliation can change that... If you stay then guilt by association applies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
for me it was attending a Church sponsored trip while I was in the Navy.  There were many navy men from all denominations and we had to listen to a preacher tell us of the evils of "idolaters, papists, mohamedists, buddhists, and other devil worshippers"

I never looked back after that.

I'm sure those devoted to Islam will do what Christians do and just tell themselves that those who behave that way aren't REALLY Muslims.  

/shrug

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You have some important questions, but you need to talk to a priest who can answer your questions. If you still feel at odds, then do what you feel is right.

My question here wasn't about Catholicism. I was using a decision I made years ago as a juxtaposition. The point I was trying to make was that I made a decision based on relatively less evil deeds.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top