Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2004 9:41:21 AM EDT
My computer crashed yesterday and I decided to re-configure it (at Sony's direction) since I had my critical data on that floppy I told you about.

I started over with the HD...and now I find out the floppy is toast.

I tend not to be a violent person, but I'm beside myself right now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Floppies are a VERY unreliable medium for saving Data

So sorry.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a floppy for 10 bucks.  Not worth having an anurism over.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry to hear that. Floppies fail. A lot.
If it's worth writing to a floppy disk, it's worth writing to 2 floppy disks.
I feel for ya. It's happened to me too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Crap man! All that pron data gone!

Sorry to hear about that as it is never fun to have to start over.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
In the future, i reccomend emailing important docs to yourself, or buy a usb hard drive.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I would never trust a floppy disk to store critical data.

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I just lost a harddrive.

Its at reynolds recovery trying to get my family photos and tax stuff off.   It will cost me $500 bucks even if it doesn't work, and $1200 bucks if they recover only one file.

ARGH.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My computer crashed yesterday and I decided to re-configure it (at Sony's direction) since I had my critical data on that floppy I told you about.

I started over with the HD...and now I find out the floppy is toast.

I tend not to be a violent person, but I'm beside myself right now.

Take the computer and the floppy to your favorite shooting hole, afix a double charge of tanerrite to said computer and floppy, and shoot with AR15 or .308cal rifle.

That should vent all that frustration nicely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would never trust a floppy disk to store critical data.

yup, always burn it to CD
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried downloading and running any recovery software that works for floppys?

www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=+%22recovery+software%22+floppy&btnG=Search

I had a problem about a year ago with a couple of bad CD-Rs (drive couldn't read them). I downloaded a trial version of some software that was able to recover about %95 of the info I had on the discs.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Are CDs any better at saving data? I work with spreadsheets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Ouch. BT, DT in 1999. Still would like to have some of those files back.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Texas must just be SOOOO proud of you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Wobblin-Goblin, but the same thing has happened to me on numerous occasions and I always swear that it will be the last time.

And it never is.....

BTW, I would ditch the 'f'-word in the Subject Title of this thread ASAP!

It's not permissible!

Done. Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Much better.

For you, since your files are small enough to fit on a floppy, I'd just email the file to myself.
This way they're hopefully stored on a server that is regularly backed up.

Another good option for small files is the "jump drive" type devices suggested above.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#19]
you've never heard of backing-up your back-ups to your back-ups that contain critical data?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Have you tried downloading and running any recovery software that works for floppys?

www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=+%22recovery+software%22+floppy&btnG=Search

I had a problem about a year ago with a couple of bad CD-Rs (drive couldn't read them). I downloaded a trial version of some software that was able to recover about %95 of the info I had on the discs.

+1

Agree,   over %50 of the time you can recover it.... dont give up yet...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas must just be SOOOO proud of you.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Frequent backups and VERIFICATION of your backups is critical, if you have data you cannot afford to lose.   And I agree with the comment, floppies are NOT very reliable.  

As of recently, I back up files from my desktop to my server and vice versa, and I also backup things I do not want to lose, like pictures and email archives, to HiMD discs.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#23]
... Nearly lost all my data on my C drive a few weeks ago. Was a good lesson to back up your stuff often.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I agree. Back in the day when floppys where the primary storage medium, I used utilities such as these to repair an unreadable disk frequently. I had about a 95% success rate.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]
My hard drive crashed last year.  I had to find the original, bargain-basement CD-ROM that came with the computer (I had switched a Plextor burner in), re-install it and then run the recovery CD.  The motherboard was configured to receive input from that stupid old CD-ROM player, and couldn't understand the Plextor.   Luckily for me, I had saved the seemingly useless old CD-ROM.

You never know what little trick or wrinkle will possibly end hours of frustration and get you going again.

The obvious question is:  have you tried your floppy disk in a computer other than the one that crashed and was re-formatted?  And was the floppy in the computer (engaged, not just sitting halfway in) when the hard drive crashed?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Get a the good quality cd-rw's or DVD-RW's don't go cheap on them or they will be crappy in a few years. The film will start to flake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The obvious question is:  have you tried your floppy disk in a computer other than the one that crashed and was re-formatted?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#29]
CD's have finite lifetimes, and vary by brand (I recall seeing one study where they ranged from 10 years to 50+ years (calculated)

Do keep them out of the sunlight & unexposed to temperature or humidity extremes.

Best bet is backups at different (physical) sites.

I have had a few computers go south on me over the past few years and at this point am coming to the conclusion that there isn't much data worth saving anyway. Get real pictures and buy books and use computers for email & message boards. I still have data from my old 386 machine - why? beats me... "maybe I'll need this someday" I thought, in reality, it just makes it easy to be a packrat when data takes up such little space.

They are just a tool, (and not a particularly reliable one at that), as usyeful as they are, I sometimes wonder if life is better with or without them (think about how edgy you get when you haven't checked email for a week - just who is the master here?)

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]
People still USE floppies!?!

Buy a USB drive!! I have a little 64 meg one and its fantastic!! ALSO buy a CD burner. Remember, you cant have to many backups. My critical data is backed up 5 layers deep.... Which means it would literally take the complete destruction of my house to lose it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Sorry to hear about the bad news, computers are one of the greatest things in the world, but once they fuck up...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much better.

For you, since your files are small enough to fit on a floppy, I'd just email the file to myself.
This way they're hopefully stored on a server that is regularly backed up.

Another good option for small files is the "jump drive" type devices suggested above.

Word.

Typically, I'll email it to myself AND save it to zip disk, or email it to myself AND save it to TWO floppies.  Been using zip disks cause I have em already, but the jump drive is much more practical.  Go that route.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#33]
What's a jump drive and how do they work?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Forget that.

You want a USB memory stick.

KISS.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget that.

KISS.

OK, what's that, then?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
CD's have finite lifetimes, and vary by brand (I recall seeing one study where they ranged from 10 years to 50+ years (calculated)

Yep.  Magneto optical has a much greater storage lifespan.  The HiMD I speak about is Sony's new MiniDisc format, which holds 1GB on a magneto-optical disk.  The new player/recorders are accessible by PCs using a USB port.  They show up as simple mass storage devices, and files can be dragged and dropped to the HiMD unit.  It's a bit slow, so it would only really be good for backup of data, not for using it as additional 'harddrive' storage.  

When Sony gets their shit together and gets the media in production, they should cost about $3-5 a disc.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget that.

KISS.

OK, what's that, then?

Its a memory storage "stick" that plugs into a USB port. Circuit City  / Best Buy will all have them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#39]
How secure is Gmail?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#40]
One other thing you might consider is installing a second hard drive and save your files to it. Hard drives are cheap.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget that.

KISS.

OK, what's that, then?

they're the same thing

It's a small bit of memory (e.g. 64 megs) that has a usb plug on the end of it. You plug it into the usb port on the front of your PC and it appears within windows as another hard drive. You can copy files to it and then yank the drive out of the machine and take it with you.

for example:

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-189-011&depa=0

128 meg drive for $23 bucks shipped. They also have a $10 mail in rebate, so if you do that, it's down to $13 bucks.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#42]
If you want the "tactical" version ...

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a the good quality cd-rw's or DVD-RW's don't go cheap on them or they will be crappy in a few years. The film will start to flake.

more info on that
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
How secure is Gmail?

not very
also why do you think they want you to *archive* everything ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#46]
My computer is brand-new and came with DVD-RW and CD-RW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How secure is Gmail?

not very

It does seem a little *curious* doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How secure is Gmail?

not very

It does seem a little *curious* doesn't it?

I just tried this.

It doesn't send you to a question screen if the person has an alternate email address registered with gmail. Instead it sends a message to that address.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#49]
CD's are soooo last week....

Quoted:
yup, always burn it to CD

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#50]
after 3 attempts, I am definitely not retyping this post again, good grief
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top