Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 8:27:17 AM EDT
We see the term “Catholic-bashing” bandied about regularly these days whenever someone brings up a point of disagreement with the Roman church.  This is about on the same level as calling those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle “homophobic.”  It detracts from the core issues and calls upon sensitivity rather than reason.

We should refrain from such rhetoric and name calling if it is just a civil discussion on points of doctrine or a scriptural examination of practices and traditions.  That is not “bashing.”

Saying “All ________________ (fill in your preferred group) are doo-doo heads” is bashing, and I won’t engage in that behavior.

Having defined what is bashing and what isn’t, I do have to say that I take offense at the duplicitous approach that the Roman church takes toward those who adhere to Reformed Protestant theology.

On the surface, there is talk of ecumenism; that we are all Christians and should get along.  However, I attended a wedding in a Roman church a few years ago and saw that this doesn’t pass muster in practice.  I was excluded from partaking of communion.  That spoke volumes of my status in regard to official church policy.  I was not considered to be a “true believer.”

Also, consider the anathemas (eternal damnations) of the Council of Trent.  These are curses pronounced upon people who believe key points of Protestant theology.  For the past 450 years these anathemas have been reaffirmed by the leadership of the Roman church, including the current pope.  

As a Protestant, the Roman church has pronounced curses upon me and those who believe as I do.  Is this “bashing?”  I’ll leave that up to you.  

For those unfamiliar with these pronouncements, the following is a Roman source, not the incomparable preaching of someone like Ian Paisley.  

www.geocities.com/peterpaulmin/CoucilofTrent.html

Sadly, these days Protestants will admire the Reformers, such as Luther, but have abandoned the principles of the Reformation.  If Martin Luther spoke in most churches today he wouldn’t be invited back.  He would be labeled “intolerant” and “insensitive.”  He would indeed be called politically incorrect.  However, as was the case 500 years ago, no one could fault him using Scripture as a reference.

Most Protestants call themselves such as a term meaning “not Catholic”, but true Protestantism is indeed rare.

Bashing?  No.  What I did above was state some of my personal, factual observations and provide a link to a Roman Catholic affiliated website.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]

I was excluded from partaking of communion

Non Catholics don't believe in the Sacramento of Cummunion...so why would this even bother you?

Sadly, these days Protestants will admire the Reformers, such as Luther, but have abandoned the principles of the Reformation. If Martin Luther spoke in most churches today he wouldn’t be invited back. He would be labeled “intolerant” and “insensitive.” He would indeed be called politically incorrect. However, as was the case 500 years ago, no one could fault him using Scripture as a reference.

Martin Luther was a Catholic Priest that helped reform the Church, he had no intention of starting a new church.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe disagreements with doctrine are bashing, regardless of what denomination is being disagreed with or doing the disagreeing.

As a Protestant, the Roman church has pronounced curses upon me and those who believe as I do. Is this “bashing?” I’ll leave that up to you.

I also don't believe that a church saying an unbeliever is cursed is bashing, merely stating the church doctrine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Non Catholics don't believe in the Sacramento of Cummunion...so why would this even bother you?

Jesus commanded us to do it in remembrance of Him.  Of course, now that I understand about the doctrine of transubstantiation, I would have refused if offered.

Martin Luther was a Catholic Priest that helped reform the Church, he had no intention of starting a new church.

He attempted to reform the Catholic church, but it did not change.  It is as it ever was.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of Protestant churches give communion, only requiring baptism.  Is it the same thing as Communion in Catholic churches?   Not according to Catholics.  Anathema or moot point, I leave it to you.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, So a curse without cause shall not alight.

Proverbs 26:2

Anyone in the world can feel free to speak whatever curses they want on me. My God is bigger than their curses, and His protection is guaranteed to me.

A good many protestants have spoken a lot of evil about Catholics, and I don't agree with it. I do not believe that the Pope is God's sole authority on the earth. Neither do I believe him to be the anti-christ. Hostility towards Catholic paritioners merely because they are Catholic is UNWORTHY of true Christians.

But by the same token, Catholics should not get so offended when the history of the church is brought into the debate....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top