Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 4:42:11 AM EDT
AND NOW WE KNOW!

Indiana University study: having children significantly lowers parents’ IQs

By Mike Gaddis, THG News  

A five-year study run by Indiana University’s Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction proves what many in the scientific community have always suspected: having children significantly lowers the IQ of both male and female parents.

Researchers at the Kinsey Institute began their study in 1999 by giving 200 married couples who were planning on starting families within the next four years Intelligence Quotient (IQ) tests.  By 2003, all but 27 of these couples had conceived.  

Another IQ test was given to each set of parents successful in conceiving and birthing a baby six months after their child was born.  These results were compared to the previous intelligence tests.

In every single one of the 173 cases, both parents scored at least twelve points lower on the second IQ test, with the majority of parents losing twenty or more IQ points.  

Dr. Hosung Lee, director of the study, was not surprised with the findings.  “The research proved that our hypothesis was correct.  Having children does retard one’s brain activity, and since both parents lost intelligence, we must assume that this loss has a psychological rather than biological cause.”

The IQ tests show that when a child is born, the part of the brain that makes one think objectively takes the biggest hit when it comes to losing brainpower.  “This explains why every parent thinks their child is the smartest kid in class or the best athlete, even if that child is as dumb as a box of rocks or needs a calendar to time their forty-yard dash.  People who before were intelligent and open-minded turn into raving lunatics who want to blame a teacher or coach every time their mediocre child fails,” said Lee.

Lee says the Kinsey Institute will continue to test the couples participating in the study to determine if the loss of intelligence is reversible once children grow up and leave the nest and if parents who continue having children lose even more intelligence.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
bs 20 points is a huge number. So if you were average before you have kids then your pretty much a retard after? Hmm.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I smell something really sinister in this:

You have kids. You insist that your kids shouldn't be drugged or singled out for defending themselves against a bully.

They remind you that studies show that you are now dumber than they are, and they know better how to raise your child.

Not on your life, buddy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It certainly explains all the morons driving minivans!  

(do minivans come new with pre-dented bumpers?)  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
No doubt, but so what!

A German (they get long vacations) study concluded that a month of vacation lowered ones IQ by 10 points, and it didn't return until a while after the vacation ended.  The fact is that your brain gets used to a certain level of activity.  Reduce it (intellectual activity), and it responds accordingly.

My ex girlfriend didn't want kids because she didn't want to leave the intellectual world.  She was smart enough to know it would occur.  (note to self: don't get involved with women without a maternal instinct)

We're all going to die, you might as well leave a living legacy...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't take an IQ test before our first child was born, but I was required to take many of them when I was in the Gifted and Talented programs in school.  Comparing them to the score of my most recent test last year, there's only a one point difference, and I have three children aged 7 months to 6 years old.  My IQ score has always been around 140 +- a couple of points, but I've always been good with patterns.

I'd be very interested to see if these couples were all people of average IQ, or if the IQ range was spread out between below and above average IQ's.  Also, the IQ tests deal specifically with things like pattern recognition and abstract thought, somthing that I can see getting a little blunted with having children, but I would not consider that an overall loss of intelligence.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I didn't take an IQ test before our first child was born, but I was required to take many of them when I was in the Gifted and Talented programs in school.  Comparing them to the score of my most recent test last year, there's only a one point difference, and I have three children aged 7 months to 6 years old.  My IQ score has always been around 140 +- a couple of points, but I've always been good with patterns.

I'd be very interested to see if these couples were all people of average IQ, or if the IQ range was spread out between below and above average IQ's.  Also, the IQ tests deal specifically with things like pattern recognition and abstract thought, somthing that I can see getting a little blunted with having children, but I would not consider that an overall loss of intelligence.

mensa
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SIX MONTHS, oh that's too easy.  Can't think when you don't get any sleep.

Wow, and it took a study to figure that one out.

Tj

Exactly.  If they had given me an IQ test when my first born was 6 months old, I'd have done pretty poorly by my own standards.  I'd really like to see a coorelation between parents who have their children in a crib or baby room to sleep and those who co-sleep (where the child sleeps in bed with them and can nurse throughout the night).  When my wife started co-sleeping with our daughter, we all got a lot more sleep.  It was a chore getting her out of our bed, but to me actually getting sleep was worth it.  Both of my sons did it from the time they were born, but my first son didn't nurse past six months.  My youngest son co-sleeps, and he's slept through the night since the second week.  The only time I've been tired is when my wife woke me up at 3am to tell me it was time to deliver him, and I did that at home.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]

I's has four childs and lets I tel yu id's nut da true...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't know about having kids reducing my IQ… but it sure as hell reduced my Bank balance…

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mensa

Been there, done that, don't feel the need to go back.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SIX MONTHS, oh that's too easy.  Can't think when you don't get any sleep.

Tj

Bingo! No sleep, no brainpower.

It's great to see how wisely our universities spend their research grants.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I always thought it was buying a mini-van that caused you to become a stupid moron.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]
TJ, that is exactly what I was thinking,they are friggin sleep deprived. At times it's hard enough to even function and just do the little things around the house,never mind taking an IQ test.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Hving children significantly lowers parents’ IQs  

And your ability to spell.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A German (they get long vacations) study concluded that a month of vacation lowered ones IQ by 10 points, and it didn't return until a while after the vacation ended.  The fact is that your brain gets used to a certain level of activity.  Reduce it (intellectual activity), and it responds accordingly.

I KNEW it!

That also explains why drivers with their vehicles loaded full of crap for vacation drive like morons.

Quoted:
Hving children significantly lowers parents’ IQs  

And your ability to spell.

or your editing skills  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I smell something really sinister in this:

You have kids. You insist that your kids shouldn't be drugged or singled out for defending themselves against a bully.

They remind you that studies show that you are now dumber than they are, and they know better how to raise your child.

Not on your life, buddy.

Big +1.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Of course it does!  Any time you spend that much time around brain-damaged small people your IQ will go way down....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#20]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
SIX MONTHS, oh that's too easy. Can't think when you don't get any sleep.

Tj

I didn't sleep a full night for over 11 months after our last one. I could barely remember how to go back and forth to work let alone any actual thinking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I knew this just from observing my sister-in-law.  She was dumb to begin with, but goddamn!  They've got 2 and 3/4 kids and she just keeps getting stupider.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#22]
taht's suhc a lode of krap.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't be too hasty drawing conclusions from this study just yet.
First there are alot of variables that weren't mentioned. Like IQ of the couples to start with, amount of sleep before and after child birth (as mentioned by many), diet may or may not have something to do with it, stress does different things to different people, is there family involved in helping with the child or are these parents doing it all on their own so to speak, where do they live (environment could play a role), occupation (does their job require a lot of intellectual work or just "drudgery"), etc. etc. etc.

It would be interesting to see if their IQ rises as their children get older as well. I figure as their kids begin to go to school and ask for help with math, science, whatever then the parents will sort of be re-introduced to intellectual thinking causing scores to rise again. Just a hypothesis though and I lack the resources to test it. Maybe I need a research grant too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd be more inclined to go with the theory that married couples are having kids LATER than usual since they are so career oriented.   That would mean that they are away from the school mentality for a greater amount of time and aren't as keen with the abstract problem solving skills.  They have been in the real world working environment too long where everything is cut and dried and boring as hell.

It is also HELL to continue your education with small children around.  After 1300 interuptions, sippy cups, stinky diapers, etc.  then you get back to the problem you were working on.  Where was I, oh I guess I'll start again with chapter ONE.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#25]

The IQ tests show that when a child is born, the part of the brain that makes one think objectively takes the biggest hit when it comes to losing brainpower. “This explains why every parent thinks their child is the smartest kid in class or the best athlete, even if that child is as dumb as a box of rocks or needs a calendar to time their forty-yard dash. People who before were intelligent and open-minded turn into raving lunatics who want to blame a teacher or coach every time their mediocre child fails,” said Lee.

Um, methinks this article is satire.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The IQ tests show that when a child is born, the part of the brain that makes one think objectively takes the biggest hit when it comes to losing brainpower. “This explains why every parent thinks their child is the smartest kid in class or the best athlete, even if that child is as dumb as a box of rocks or needs a calendar to time their forty-yard dash. People who before were intelligent and open-minded turn into raving lunatics who want to blame a teacher or coach every time their mediocre child fails,” said Lee.

+1

I think a lot of people missed the boat on this one...

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That is what I think as well.  However, you never know... look at the source (university of Indiana....)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
“This explains why every parent thinks their child is the smartest kid in class or the best athlete, even if that child is as dumb as a box of rocks or needs a calendar to time their forty-yard dash.  People who before were intelligent and open-minded turn into raving lunatics who want to blame a teacher or coach every time their mediocre child fails,” said Lee.

there's a difference between pride in one's offspring and delusional rantings. I have NEVER recalled any woman saying her kid was average (or below average... their husbands do not speak at all, long since having learned that opening their mouths for anything other than an obedient "yes dear" is inviting disaster)

Now all we need is to figure out the effect of message boards on IQ

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#29]
let's think....hummmm...maybe sleep is the issue...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top