Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 9:10:37 PM EDT
Hi all,

My work hours have recently changed curtailing the majority of my range time (for now).  So I've been thinking about getting something that I can shoot in my yard.  I live in Mechanicsville, Va . . . shooting around here isn't a big deal, but the noise would cause problems with the neighbors on my one acre lot.

So, I've been thinking about picking up a decent quality air pistol.  I watched the 10M Olympic air pistol comps and they were intense . . . it's amazing how small the bullseye is.

I'm looking at the Baikal IZH-46M . . . anyone here have any experience with it?

Any other suggestions at less that about $300?

As always, thanks all

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Disconnector,

Try Feinwerkbau. They build awsome target guns. In fact they only build target air pistols, air rifles and .22 target guns....

They're not cheap but well worth it! I started shooting with a Model 80 from Feinwerkbau. It has been disconnected for quite some time but  when my Dad bought it it came with a target. 10 rounds through 1 hole!!! Incredible.... Very humbling at first.
Avoid spring piston designs for target practice since they shoot very much differently than regular firearms. Most target air pistols actually use CO2.

Is't gerat and uncomplicated training. BTW, don't go cheap on the pellets. I prefer RWS 'Meisterkugeln' or the Beeman line of target pellets.

Have fun and stay safe...

LRdrvr

IM me if you got any further questions.

Edited to add:
www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy_f.html
www.btinternet.com/~cliverkay/
www.airgunbbs.com/forums/
www.airguns.net/
www.airguns.f9.co.uk/
and at last:
directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Guns/Airguns/
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
FWB is the best, but they are very expensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been shooting 10M air pistol professionaly for 4 years.

When I went to Germany earlier this year for the Bavaraian Championchips, there were booths there representing all the different manufacturers.  Of all the booths there, the Feinwerkbau booth had the most guns that were in for service/repair.  My first pistol was a Feinwerkbau 103, and it the lever had snapped off .  I turned it into the guys at the booth and they replaced it.  Of all the top shooters I have seen, none of them use Feinwerkbaus.

My pistols of choice are the Morini 162EI (air), and the Morini 84E (free).  They have never failed me.

Other brands to consider are Steyr and Ancshutz (sp?).  

If you don`t plan to be serious in this sport, go with the IZH.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the replys . . .

Unfortunately, I'm trying to do this on the cheap

I can't imagine the look on my wife's face if I told her I was going to spend $1,000 + on a "BB gun" .  If later I find the sport appeals to me, I might take the plunge on a higher end pistol.

But for now, why avoid spring piston designs?  Is the recoil/recovery extremely different than a regular firearm?  

Yup, I'm new to this . . . .
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought 4 IZH Baikal 532 rifles for my college Rifle Marksmanship class.  This rifle is based on the pistol you're talking about.  Same action, only longer barrel and a stock.  I also bought some FBW 603's and already had some FBW 300's.  The Russian rifles are definitely cheaper made but they are just as accurate if I do my part.  I can put 5 pellets through the same hole as long as I don't screw it up.  I like the FBW's much better as far as ergonomics and function, but the shooting is the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replys!  Having been warned against the spring style pistols, can you recommend a very reasonably priced pistol that uses compressed air?

Like I said before, I want to test the waters of the sport before I blow major $$$ on a top quality weapon.

_Disconnector_
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm looking at the Baikal IZH-46M . . . anyone here have any experience with it?

_Disconnector_

I've got one - you can't go wrong for the money.  I've been shooting mine for 4-5 years in the garage (25ft), and it's far more accurate than I am.  I use it to practice bullseye, and have a number of one-hole groups (using NRA 25ft targets) tacked up on the wall.

I had thought also about going the expensive route, but this air pistol has served quite well.

Any particular questions, just ask!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe I have just the thing for you.  Accurate as all hell.  Great trigger.  Good balance, good feel, natural point of aim (for me anyway)

The Beeman P3.  Can be had here for $159.

Straightshooters

I have bought a few things from straight shooters.  Great customer service.  Very informative site for air rifles/pistols.

I think this just might be what you are looking for, and way under your $300 budget.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot 10m air pistol competitively here in the UK with Walther CO2 pistols (they're the only pistols our bastard government will let us own…)

I use these two… great fun and very accurate… easy sub .5" groups

www.waltheramerica.com/airguns.htm

Andy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a Daisy Model.717 ($119 shipped)  a friend swears by his with thousands of pellets down the barrel.Also hear the Daisy Avanti 747 is a nice relatively cheap air pistol
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I second the Walther line.  The CP99 is fun as heck to shoot, remarkably similar to the real thing (to the point of having a decocker!) and $129.  Shooting single-action I can keep 8 rounds inside a 1.5" square at 10 meters.  As vito113 above said, the CP88 is available with a longer barrel and sight radius if you are more concerned about accuracy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry guys, but for an air pistol to be allowed in 10M competition it must be a single shot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I believe I have just the thing for you.  Accurate as all hell.  Great trigger.  Good balance, good feel, natural point of aim (for me anyway)

www.straightshooters.com/beeman/p3.jpg

Straightshooters

I have bought a few things from straight shooters.  Great customer service.  Very informative site for air rifles/pistols.

I think this just might be what you are looking for, and way under your $300 budget.

Airgunexpress.com sells the same gun for $45 under the Marksman brand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sorry guys, but for an air pistol to be allowed in 10M competition it must be a single shot.

Nothing to be sorry about.  The original poster stated:

So I've been thinking about getting something that I can shoot in my yard.

so there is no such limitation on his selection.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the Morini.

I freakin love mine also check out:

Hammerliusa.com

In fact just go here
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hi all,

My work hours have recently changed curtailing the majority of my range time (for now).  So I've been thinking about getting something that I can shoot in my yard.  I live in Mechanicsville, Va . . . shooting around here isn't a big deal, but the noise would cause problems with the neighbors on my one acre lot.

So, I've been thinking about picking up a decent quality air pistol.  I watched the 10M Olympic air pistol comps and they were intense . . . it's amazing how small the bullseye is.

I'm looking at theBaikal IZH-46M . . . anyone here have any experience with it?

Any other suggestions at less that about $300?

As always, thanks all

_Disconnector_

I just realized which gun this is.  One of the guys I compete with uses it.  It is a really good starter gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
+1 on the Morini.

Hammerliusa.com

In fact just go here

What model do you have?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You can shoot 'practical pistol' comps with turning targets at 10m… but popping off ten rapid fire pellets at a beer can is fun too!

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My Beeman .20cal P1 is fun to shoot, great pigeon plinker, Single shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
HOLY SHIT!!!!  I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago...and paid up.

Guess I got owned.  Grrrr.....nothing burns me more than getting mowed over.

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.straightshooters.com/beeman/p3.jpg

Straightshooters

Airgunexpress.com sells the same gun for $45 under the Marksman brand.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
How is this different from air soft, which of course sucks?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Lead projectiles, rifling, accuracy....definately not a toy.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
OK, just curious.

Don't know squat about air soft, other than it ain't a real gun.

I'm trying to work with you guys here, but I am having a hard time thinking "Big Bucks BB Gun" would be cool.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on the Morini.

Hammerliusa.com

In fact just go here

What model do you have?

The 162EI

I also shot a pardini free pistol and a pardini standard pistol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Gamo Compact that is very accurate and has zero recoil.  It is not very powerful but for putting holes in paper who cares.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I understand where you are coming from.   Just check out the line of Beeman air rifles and start to understand the quality behind them.

Quoted:
OK, just curious.

Don't know squat about air soft, other than it ain't a real gun.

I'm trying to work with you guys here, but I am having a hard time thinking "Big Bucks BB Gun" would be cool.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Its the differnce between wannabe and be.  Air pistols do what they need to do, and are designed to do.

Airsoft are pretend real guns and don't com close to the accuracy of a real air gun.

That being said, airsoft doesn't suck per se, its just that most airsoft "players" suck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just bought a Daisy Model.717 ($119 shipped)  a friend swears by his with thousands of pellets down the barrel.Also hear the Daisy Avanti 747 is a nice relatively cheap air pistol

Does Daisy still make the 777?  That used to be on hell of a gun for the price.  I shot a 747 for years - and competed against much fancier equipment, but many not much more capable (or maybe it was the shooters who weren't?).  The 777 offered metal sigths and a few other improvements over the 747 - which had plastic freaking sights that were easy to melt with an old school gunsmoke carbide sight black thing .
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... Most target air pistols actually use CO2.

Back in my day, CO2 guns were plaqued with consistency problems based on air temperature, etc.  This was the impetus for the compressed air concept.  Have they corrected this problem
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#31]
The Russian Baikal series is the best choice for entry level 10 M target shooting if you don't want or can't afford to spend the BIG $ for a Morini-FWB etc.

Daisy 717 " I have one " is a POS, The 747 and 777 are more expensive Daisy POS .
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Most target air pistols actually use CO2.

Back in my day, CO2 guns were plaqued with consistency problems based on air temperature, etc.  This was the impetus for the compressed air concept.  Have they corrected this problem

They're pretty good now, if it gets cold enough to make the gas play up it's usually so cold my fingers have as well.

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey... just bringing this back up- don't know if you got the answer you were looking for and I just saw this now...

I've been shooting 10M air pistol for 7 years... and I shoot the baikal... I've competed against more then a few people shooting much more expensive pistols... the baikal will keep up with them in the accuracy department. If you can live without the fancy compressed air and grips, you'll be just fine...

pics:

-Roth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top