Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 4:33:05 PM EDT
I'm sitting here watching a rerun of Sunday's Meet the Press.  Buchanan has a new book out and calls the war in Iraq, "the greatest strategic mistake in 40 years - more costly than Vietnam".  He and Newt Gingrich are going back and forth about the propriety of the war.

I guess at one point I knew, but had forgotten, that Buchanan is a hardcore isolationist.  I thought he was a Republican, but given his performance on this show I'd say he is not.

So what's his deal?  Is he a Libertarian?  Is he a FAR-right wing conservative?  He seems intelligent enough, but there's something about him that makes me uneasy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
He is a far right traditional conservative populist.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So what's his deal?  Is he a Libertarian?  Is he a FAR-right wing conservative?

He's a Buchananist.

A party unto himself.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a Buchananist.

A party unto himself.

Another friend of mine used the term "nut job".  Would you say that's accurate?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I think many of his positions are well thought out. I read his book "The Death of the West" and I thought it was a very well-written informative book. So I dont think he is a nut case.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He was once my hero.

No longer.

Once again, the Hunster and I are in agreement.

Pat was once a great conservative.  But he has slipped a gear.

Good man.  Bad ideas.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
He was on cspan today talking about his new book. He truly believes the US is an empire along the lines of the old European empires, which IMO is totally nuts. He would have us close all our overseas bases, come home, and put a wall around the US. He would limit free trade and he would treat the war on terror as a criminal justice issue, just like we did before 9/11. He's a true 19th century man.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Pat Buchanan, but his politics are stuck in the 1930's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He was once my hero.

No longer.

Once again, the Hunster and I are in agreement.

Pat was once a great conservative.  But he has slipped a gear.

Good man.  Bad ideas.

I happily stand with what I hope will be two fellow Texans, soon!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Pat lost it when the Republicans failed to run him for President.  Since then, he has tried to find a way to set himself apart and thus make himself attractive to a segment of the population.  The only problem is that the people he attracts are totally emotional.  Like liberals, their knowledge of history starts at breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I like him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Pat is a smart guy.

But some of his ideas are little impractical.

But I'm sure he would take us out of UN, unlike Bush.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He was once my hero.

No longer.

My thought also +1

GM
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Pat Buchanan is in a cold war time warp. In his view when the cold war ended the threat to the US was over.

I like Pat Buchanan but he is profoundly wrong his foreign policy views are dangerous and his economic views would start a global trade war that could likely bring about a economic crisis equal to the great depression.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always been a fan of his.   I'd vote for him for Prez.

He was there with Nixon, Ford & Reagan!

I like guys like him more than the neo-cons, (well there's always Buckley)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bill Buckley considers Pat Buchanan to be way off base.

Pat Buchanan’s views have no more in common with Reagan now that Kerry's do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill Buckley considers Pat Buchanan to be way off base.
I know they're in two different camps, my comment was I like Buchanan's views more
than guys like Kristol,  BUT I'm still a Buckely fan too, even though I think he's not
like Buchanan at all nor is he a rabid neo-con, more of an old school conservative

that would be open to debate

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#21]

No it ain’t if you know anything about Reagan.

Reagan believed in a proactive foreign policy not isolationism.

Reagan believed in proactive use of the military.

Reagan believed in free trade.

There is no more in common between todays Buchanan and Reagan than there is between Kerry and Reagan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
He's a nut...I wish he'd fade away...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't heard him speak of the war in Iraq, so I can't speak of his view on that, but...The man is right on a lot of topics.  As far as being too far right... I didn't think there was such a thing.  Free trade is a bunch of bullshit.  On the northern border, Semi load after Semi load of pigs, cows, grain, potatoes, beans you name it are pouring in.  Try get a load of our farm products into Canada.  Go ahead try it. and on the southern border semi load after semi load of cheap shit, illegal immigrants and drugs are pouring in.  NAFTA is helping Canada and Mexico not us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish our Gov't would get a clue from him on immigration issues.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what's his deal?  Is he a Libertarian?  

Oh hell no.

However, he has said a few things I agree with. one of which was about the Second Amendment.

"Unless you have to back a truk up to it and tow it, it's pretty much covered by the Second Amendment."

Other than that and a few other statements I've heard from him, he's waaaay to far right for me.

There is nothing wrong with being Right.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I hear all the shit talk about PB but I am a big fan and always will be.  He speaks his mind no matter what......

We applaud Zell  miller but give Pat hell?  Same difference.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I've actually had a discussion with Pat Buchanan. It was '96. He's a very smart fellow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought he had gone way off the reservation ten or twelve years ago.  He is not the conventional conservative republican with his isolationist views, but I have to give him credit.  A lot of what he has predicted (NAFTA, immigration) has come to pass.  

I think that he honestly has the best interests of the country at heart.  When he talks about Iraq being a mistake, I agree that he is looking at it as an imperialist adventure cooked up by the neoconservatives, ehich has nothing to do with the war on terror.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I haven't heard him speak of the war in Iraq, so I can't speak of his view on that, but...The man is right on a lot of topics.  As far as being too far right... I didn't think there was such a thing.  Free trade is a bunch of bullshit.  On the northern border, Semi load after Semi load of pigs, cows, grain, potatoes, beans you name it are pouring in.  Try get a load of our farm products into Canada.  Go ahead try it. and on the southern border semi load after semi load of cheap shit, illegal immigrants and drugs are pouring in.  NAFTA is helping Canada and Mexico not us.

Free trade is capitalisim in it's purest form...

Ideally, there should be no barriers to competition allowed,, weather erected by government (tarrifs, trade barriers) or by private companies (monopoly)...

The best companies/products will win...

If Canada is cheating, then make them stop, don't pull the same bullshit yourselves...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I wish our Gov't would get a clue from him on immigration issues.

That where he REALLY shines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a Buchananist.

A party unto himself.

Another friend of mine used the term "nut job".  Would you say that's accurate?

That would be accurate...

A vaery articulate nutjob, but a nutjob none the less...

Anyone who advocates giving up our veto power in the UN, pulling all our troops home, opposes capitalisim (know another system that works?), and actually believes we can securre the borders with troops/fortifications is nuts....

Fortunately, everyone knows this, and he has no future in politics...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I hear all the shit talk about PB but I am a big fan and always will be.  He speaks his mind no matter what......

We applaud Zell  miller but give Pat hell?  Same difference.

Because it's not about Pat speaking his mind.

What Zell says is workable, good policy

What Pat says is absolutely nuts, no matter how well he says it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I thought he had gone way off the reservation ten or twelve years ago.  He is not the conventional conservative republican with his isolationist views, but I have to give him credit.  A lot of what he has predicted (NAFTA, immigration) has come to pass.  

I think that he honestly has the best interests of the country at heart.  When he talks about Iraq being a mistake, I agree that he is looking at it as an imperialist adventure cooked up by the neoconservatives, ehich has nothing to do with the war on terror.

It's going to take about 10-20 'imperialist misadventures' to win the war.

Pat blames us for terror, just like the liberals, and thinks if we run home like scalded dogs & build his "Great Wall of America' we can hide behind it indefinately...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Anyone who advocates giving up our veto power in the UN, pulling all our troops home, opposes capitalisim (know another system that works?), and actually believes we can securre the borders with troops/fortifications is nuts....

Fortunately, everyone knows this, and he has no future in politics...

I like and am in favor of all that except the giving up capitalisim part.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
He listens to his own heart and marches to the beat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
He is a far right traditional conservative populist.

The first definition was the best one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it ain’t if you know anything about Reagan.

Reagan believed in a proactive foreign policy not isolationism.

Reagan believed in proactive use of the military.

Reagan believed in free trade.

There is no more in common between todays Buchanan and Reagan than there is between Kerry and Reagan.

Damn I hate it when people don't know how to respond with quotes. Took me over 5 minutes to figure out who was saying what about who!

Just in case I figured it out wrong, Buchanan ain't got nothing in common with Reagan!!!

so when he was Director of Communications for the Reagan administration
he was just an  automaton ?

(and advisor to Nixon/Ford ?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top