Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2004 2:47:48 PM EDT
Let's say the AWB extension reaches his desk, he signs it, and millions of gun nuts stay home in November.  Kerry wins.

This is a quandry the Democrats would be very smart to enact, so I can't almost guarantee it will happen.

Would you be willing to endure these moronic laws in exchange for Bush winning?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Let's say the AWB extension reaches his desk, he signs it, and millions of gun nuts stay home in November.  Kerry wins.

This is a quandry the Democrats would be very smart to enact, so I can't almost guarantee it will happen.

I don't speculate on "what if" scenarios that are based on such an unlikely event. Both halves of congress would have to get a bill drafted, voted and approved, and to his desk within the next 4 days.
The Dems wish they could do it, but they simply can't. It's Dead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Of course not.  I'm already pissed at Bush over illegal immigration. but i will prbubly hold my nose and vote for him. If he signs a new AWB i will vote for Carmejo or Nader just to keep them around to take votes from the Dems.

Republicans take gun owners votes for granted already. Voting for Bush after a renewal of the AWB would only encourage that behavior.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course not.  I'm already pissed at Bush over illegal immigration. but i will prbubly hold my nose and vote for him. If he signs a new AWB i will vote for Carmejo or Nader just to keep them around to take votes from the Dems.

Republicans take gun owners votes for granted already. Voting for Bush after a renewal of the AWB would only encourage that behavior.

word, if W passes the ban renewal or goes for anything like it, I will campaign AGAINST him like a rabid dog.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't speculate on "what if" scenarios that are based on such an unlikely event. Both halves of congress would have to get a bill drafted, voted and approved, and to his desk within the next 4 days.

At this point, it'd take a miracle and divine intervention with a bit of fairy dust and a pinochio wish to get it reauthorized.  Kiss it goodbye.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
No.

The Dems are scared to death of the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it would be the final straw, but I would not vote for kerry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Why is anyone feeding this impossible debate?

Is your point to get honest discussion, or to rile up some Bush bashing?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Uhm, when I enlist in the next couple weeks....I would much much much rather have Bush as my CIC than Kerry.

John
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
He will be a victim of his own actions, just like everybody else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
If the AWB is renewed, I'm staying at home Nov. 2.  No excuses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]

If the AWB is renewed, I'm staying at home Nov. 2. No excuses.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I really do not think it will because it is a topic that nobody seems to want to touch, seems to me clinton is running for president instead of kerry!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
The only gun nuts that will blow it for Bush are the idiots that will vote for Kerry because he's a "hunter" just like them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Doesn't matter about MY position...

The NRA has not yet endorsed Bush for this election, and they are waiting for the 13th and the end of the ban...

If he does not get the NRA endorsement, he will lose...

Although a 10% margin & growing seems to point out that Kerry may well implode...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#18]
If I could stop laughing about the title of the thread, I'd respond...

on phone to GF...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you mean if Bush betrays gun owners wil they act like serfs and vote for him anyway?

I won't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you mean if Bush betrays gun owners wil they act like serfs and vote for him anyway?

I won't.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
While is would suck, I would still vote for Bush.  I don't want Kerry to have anything to do with appointing Supreme Court judges.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#23]
even though it expires shotly, isnt it possible to introduce legisaltion to "reauthorize" the dead ban before the november elections? not sure if it would ever reach bushs desk, but if kerry gets desperate enough, he may start trying to turn anything divisive into an issue.

eta, if bush were to sign it, i would not vote for him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I would have to vote Libertarian if the AWB is passed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#25]
The bigger problem is that gun-lovers will be fooled by Kerry's transparent "I like guns" act, even though he's voted for ever gun control bill, gun ban, and ammo ban to come along in the past 20 years.  He is actually more anti-gun than Gore, and had Gore done the "I like guns" act he'd be president today.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't.

+1

Yup, gun owners are kind of like,on a larger scale, like the rural NY counties. The Republicans think we'll vote for 'em no matter what so they focuse on the mostly Democratic urban counties figuring they can win them over.

If you vote for 'em after they screw you, you're just ensuring that the next one will be an even bigger traitor. Kick 'em to the curb and the next one will behave better

Well said Aimless
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gun nuts cannot blow it for Bush... now Bush can blow it by being stupid enough to believe he will gain more votes than he would lose by signing such legislation; but I don't see that happening anywhere but in "alternate history" land.

Bush has a savvy campaign team. They aren't going to be shafting a major chunk of their base in the two months prior to an election. In fact, if anything it looks like they are throwing us more red meat since the House has scheduled a vote to repeal the DC gun ban on September 13.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't.

+1

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
While is would suck, I would still vote for Bush.  I don't want Kerry to have anything to do with appointing Supreme Court judges.

You mean like the BUSH APPOINTED Federal judge who ruled AGAINST the Second Amendment in Washington DC????          

Tweedely-dee??? Or Tweedely-dum???

NOT a hell of a lot of difference.........
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like the BUSH APPOINTED Federal judge who ruled AGAINST the Second Amendment in Washington DC????        

now the kooks are coming out of the wood work
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No.

The Dems are scared to death of the AWB.

Really?
They voted for it a few months ago during the gun manufactuerer liability debate.  
Almost all of them.
Didn't look too scared to me.
They would vote for it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Bush has done so many things i disagree with that Gun laws are about the only thing left he could possibly do right.

He signs a new AWB he will NOT get my vote. At that point he would be no different than kerry.

mike

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Bush has done so many things i disagree with that Gun laws are about the only thing left he could possibly do right.

immegration laws
prescription drugs
Mccain feingold finance reform
out of control spending <not counting WOT>

the list goes on. Bush is no freind of conservatives. The WOT is about the only damn thing he has done right.

He signs a new AWB he will NOT get my vote. At that point he would be no different than kerry.

mike

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

immegration laws
prescription drugs
Mccain feingold finance reform
out of control spending <not counting WOT>

the list goes on. Bush is no freind of conservatives. The WOT is about the only damn thing he has done right.

Tax cuts. They not only helped me and my business, but I suspect they are one of the few things helping the economy right now (low interest rates being another).
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I won't.

What he said. If Republicans are gonna sell us out, Fugg it. We might as well hasten the inevitable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If the AWB is renewed, I'm staying at home Nov. 2.  No excuses.

This November, every single one of the 535 House of Representatives seats and one-third of all Senate seats are up for grabs. Gun owners, if they value their freedoms and their firearms, simply cannot afford to stay at home on November 2nd.

www.gunowners.org/a082704.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't be the kook that votes on a single issue.

In a perfect world, we'd be able to select from a long list of perfect candidates.

In the real world, Bush is a far better choice than Kerry for many reasons, regardless of his position on the AWB.

For starters, I'll pay thousands more in taxes if Kerry is elected....and this is just based on the taxes that he openly claims he'll raise if elected.

The expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind here as does "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Why is anyone feeding this impossible debate?

Is your point to get honest discussion, or to rile up some Bush bashing?

+1

I think by now we've established that it's as good as dead, and Bush has no interest in renewing it. Why are we discussing what we will do if he signs a bill that has never come anywhere near making it out of congress?

Even if you don't want to vote for Bush, don't stay home! The House and some valuable Senate seats are still up for grabs. Vote Libertarian for President if you have to, but those GOP congresscritters are the real creators of conservative domestic policy. They're the ones who are keeping the focus on repealing old gun bans instead of passing new ones.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At this point, it'd take a miracle and divine intervention with a bit of fairy dust and a pinochio wish to get it reauthorized.  Kiss it goodbye.

It isn't over yet. We have 5 more days to keep contacting our reps. I guarandantee you that the anti's are...I plan on smothering their calls and e-mails with my own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't.

+1

Yup, gun owners are kind of like,on a larger scale, like the rural NY counties. The Republicans think we'll vote for 'em no matter what so they focuse on the mostly Democratic urban counties figuring they can win them over.

If you vote for 'em after they screw you, you're just ensuring that the next one will be an even bigger traitor. Kick 'em to the curb and the next one will behave better

You mean like King George Pataki did the the gunowners of NY?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean like King George Pataki did the the gunowners of NY?

I will do for GWB, what I did for Pataki.I will not vote for him again, if he should EVER sign a  AWB renewal.

I am with you 100% on this one Ed
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Would I like the trade-off? Nope. Especially since it's this close to sunsetting anyway!

First, it will NEVER happen!

Second, we have lived under the AWB for almost ten years and the number of so-called assault weapons that I own has almost quadrupled!

As I am certain is the case with most of y'all!

And these are 'pre-bans', so the laws never took the weapons from us in the first place.

Then there are the 'post-bans' that I have collected.

Just as mean and nasty and fitting for use against a tyrannical government or a two-legged varmint as any of those 'pre-bans.'

And these were all acquired legally during the past 10 years!

IF John Kerry is elected, we might get to the point where BOTH are illegal.

Eric The(FarSighted)Hun

+1

Kerry would ban complete ownership among other things.........baby steps guys
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Really?
They voted for it a few months ago during the gun manufactuerer liability debate.  
Almost all of them.
Didn't look too scared to me.
They would vote for it in a heartbeat.

They did not vote for an AWB bill.  The SENATE voted for an amendment to another bill that every member knew was doomed before it was even written.  Its called "going on the record".

Such votes allow a Senator or Rep to vote on a "wedge" issue so they can go home to their constituents and proclaim that they either supported gun rights or got uzis and Ak47's off the street.  Their votes would be quite different in most cases if the bill actually had a chance to become law.  If we continue to make voting decisions on such votes, we are fools.  

Take one of my Senators for example.  Harry Reid RESOUNDINGLY voted against the amendment in question.  Hell, he even voted NO on the 1994 amendment that added the AWB to the 1994 Crime Control Act.  Does this make him a "friend" of gun owners?  Hell no!  He then voted YES for the omnibus bill making the AWB law.

It's time for everyone to learn how politics work in Washington.  Basing your vote on bullshit amendment votes will kill us.  We have to learn who our friends REALLY are.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

now the kooks are coming out of the wood work

"Kooks"???

Read it and weep.......... !!

Bean is just one of the numerous anti-gun positions taken by the Bush Administration. Additional examples include disarming airline pilots, Emerson, and arguing that the total DC gun ban is a reasonable restriction on the 2nd Amendment.

More here

In MY world, it's the "kooks", who are AGAINST liberty and freedom.

What world do YOU live in????????????

Here's what your BUSH APPOINTED judge had to say about the 2nd.....

A federal judge upheld the District of Columbia's 28 year old gun control law on Wednesday, rejecting a legal challenge from a group of citizens backed by the National Rifle Association.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton dismissed a lawsuit in which the plaintiffs contended that the law violated their Second Amendment right to own guns. The D.C. law prohibits ownership or possession of handguns and requires that others, such as shotguns, be kept unloaded, disassembled or equipped with trigger locks.

In a 64-page opinion, Walton ruled that the Second Amendment is not a broad-based right of gun ownership.

"the Second Amendment does not confer an individual a right to possess firearms. Rather, the Amendment's objective is to ensure the vitality of state militias," Walton wrote.

More

"Kooks"?????????

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]
If Bush loses the gun vote, it will be bcause Bush blew it by not sticking up enough for the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#49]
What a great thread.
It appears that Bush, the Republicans and the NRA have waged a successful, and POLITICALLY SMART campaign to allow the AWB to sunset, and what do we do?

We "pretend" with a "what if", that Bush actually betrays us, and then get all worked up and mad about it.

What a buch of ass clowns we are.

How about we just celebrate the Ban's demise, and thank those who did it.
For those of you who are pissed that Bush claimed the he would sign it "if it reached his desk"...
Get a fucking clue.
Politics.
It worked.

Had he loudly declared support for the ban sunsetting, his opponents would have jumped on it.  Then who knows where we'd be?

If you actually think that would be preferable to what is occurring...

...you ain't too bright.

We WON.

Read some Sun Tzu.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top