Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2004 2:28:14 PM EDT
Police: Teen Dies at Jersey Shore While Running from Officer

Associated Press

SEA ISLE CITY, N.J. (AP) -- A 17-year-old boy died after being struck by two cars while he fled police at the Jersey Shore over the Labor Day weekend, authorities said.

Robert ``Bo'' Fisher, of Richboro, Pa., had been drinking beer with two friends on the beach Saturday night and ran after talking to a police officer who had spotted them, authorities said.

The officer chased Fisher but was about 30 to 40 yards behind him, The Press of Atlantic City reported. The officer lost sight of the teen until he heard a crash and saw Fisher hit by two vehicles _ one traveling northbound and the other headed southbound.

Fisher died at the scene, authorities said.

Friends and family said Fisher wanted to enter the military after graduation, and they think he may have run out of fear that contact with police would end that dream.

The football and lacrosse player had scored 1500 on his SATs and hoped to attend either the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis or the U.S. Military Academy at West Point after graduation, his stepfather told the Bucks County Courier Times.

Fisher was vacationing at the Jersey Shore with friends' families.

His lacrosse coach, Brintton Price, described him as an ``all-around wonderful kid.''

``He was a team player and everyone looked up to him, Price told the Courier Times. ``This is a terrible loss.''

Friends and family of Fisher held a vigil in Bucks County on Sunday night. His mother wore her son's football jersey.

The Cape May County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the death, along with the Sea Island City Detective Bureau.

Witness statements and a preliminary investigation indicate the officer involved acted appropriately, police said.

There is a war on. the military will take just about anybody now. even the Marines will accept crooks & drug addicts now
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So why was this "Great" kid running from the Po-Po?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
shit happens, you run your guilty
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
A sad story; some mistakes come with a higher price than others.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

the article speculates that it was because he was drinking beer at age 17 and thought getting busted would ruin his chances in the military

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't play the game if you don't want to do the time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the article speculates that it was because he was drinking beer at age 17 and thought getting busted would ruin his chances in the military

My buddy blew Navy Nuke school with underage drinking.

I guess he should have ran  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
He made a mistake in judgement... fate and circumstance took it from there.  It is an unfortunate accident.

Whats the point of discussing/posting this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Sad for all concerned
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The football and lacrosse player had scored 1500 on his SATs...

But Darwin still managed to catch up with him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#10]
What a wonderful world we live in where the consequences of underage drinking are so serious that someone with a 1500 SAT (that beats mine!) is compelled to run from the police.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#11]
We just had one here in York, PA.

State Trooper's chasing a kid, kid bails out of the car, Trooper swerves to avoid hitting the car and runs over the kid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Every time I saw an underage party get busted, everybody ran from the po-po, it's part of the fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
When I was a kid you might have gotten a ride home or a call to your parents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What a wonderful world we live in where the consequences of underage drinking are so serious that someone with a 1500 SAT (that beats mine!) is compelled to run from the police.    

He broke the law then he ran… his fault.

He knew drinking would disqualify him for military service then drinking must have been more important that the military service to him.

Actions have consequences. This is a shame but the responsibility lies solely with the dead boy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#15]
AGNTSA
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Consequences of underage drinking;

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=268998
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every time I saw an underage party get busted, everybody ran from the po-po, it's part of the fun.

It's fun for us too. We get to use all the toys, like dogs, ASPs, and pepper spray when you run.

Chris Rock "If the police have to chase you, they are bringing a beating with them!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was a kid you might have gotten a ride home or a call to your parents.

That's what we do, but you are released to your parents, with a citation to appear in juvenile court in 6 weeks.

Juveniles are NEVER just sent home on their own. If they are, shit like this happens;

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=269228
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#19]
....don't run....you'll only die tired...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Well you runfrom the cop's and bad thing's happen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He broke the law then he ran… his fault.

He knew drinking would disqualify him for military service then drinking must have been more important that the military service to him.

Actions have consequences. This is a shame but the responsibility lies solely with the dead boy.

Yup...just goes to show you there's a difference between intelligent and smart...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
This kids an idiot, you only run from the cops when the kid to cop ratio is heavily in your favor
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
an underage kid drinking beer.

imagine that.

yup...welcome to the new Am3rika, where everyone is a criminal.

You put the words right in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't play the game if you don't want to do the time.

Didn't you drink as a kid?  What did the cops do if they caught you?  When I was younger, they emptied our beers, either onto the ground or down their throats (after their tour) and kicked us in the ass and told us to find a new hobby.

These days, kids get arrested or otherwise find themselves in the legal system defending themselves and being imposed upon by taking "drunk seminars" and shit like that, just because they're kids and they're drinking.

I feel bad for the kid, I also feel bad for the officers.  Its a shitty world we live in, when people want to screw up kids dreams for being KIDS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This kids an idiot, you only run from the cops when the kid to cop ratio is heavily in your favor

+1 That way you only have to outrun the slower kids.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
an underage kid drinking beer.

imagine that.

yup...welcome to the new Am3rika, where everyone is a criminal.

+1 ............  I guess I should be in prison or dead for all the beer drinking I did at the age of 17. Everybody ran when the cops showed up, Everybody.  They normally would not chase for such minor things as MIP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the same sit, and you bet your ass I'd run... Although sometimes I wonder why the .mil cares about 1 or 2 underage drinking busts, its not like anyone has any respect for the actual limit, just for the legal bs associated with getting caught.

I hear of situations like this and I wonder whether the US really wants asskickers, heart breakers and life takers.

I get that the .mil doesn't want troublemakers, drunks, or screwups, but run of the mill underage drinking is just a sign of normalcy... The crew I went out with my first time was 4 guys, all college students, all Eagle Scouts and all in high-risk, high-training jobs. Not screwups by any means.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#30]
God bless America and all of our freedom.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#31]
with no priors and his back ground (jock with good grades) he wouldn't have had a thing put on his record
shit, no one at my highschool ever got into any real trouble when the cops caught them in the mid to late 90s
rant: my school had a no alcohol/tobacco/drugs policy for athletes. One kid had some friends over at his house and his neighbor ratted him out. Got kicked off the football team. Few weeks later one of the star basketball players got pulled over while over the limit, so he shoudl have been nailed on under aged drinking and DWI. School didn't kick him off the team. I think a lawyer got him off on the DWI
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#32]
No sympathy from me.  He runs and gets into the path of a car, oh well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Police: Teen Dies at Jersey Shore While Running from Officer

Associated Press

SEA ISLE CITY, N.J. (AP) -- A 17-year-old boy died after being struck by two cars while he fled police at the Jersey Shore over the Labor Day weekend, authorities said.

Robert ``Bo'' Fisher, of Richboro, Pa., had been drinking beer with two friends on the beach Saturday night and ran after talking to a police officer who had spotted them, authorities said.

The officer chased Fisher but was about 30 to 40 yards behind him, The Press of Atlantic City reported. The officer lost sight of the teen until he heard a crash and saw Fisher hit by two vehicles _ one traveling northbound and the other headed southbound.

Fisher died at the scene, authorities said.

Friends and family said Fisher wanted to enter the military after graduation, and they think he may have run out of fear that contact with police would end that dream.

The football and lacrosse player had scored 1500 on his SATs and hoped to attend either the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis or the U.S. Military Academy at West Point after graduation, his stepfather told the Bucks County Courier Times.

Fisher was vacationing at the Jersey Shore with friends' families.

His lacrosse coach, Brintton Price, described him as an ``all-around wonderful kid.''

``He was a team player and everyone looked up to him, Price told the Courier Times. ``This is a terrible loss.''

Friends and family of Fisher held a vigil in Bucks County on Sunday night. His mother wore her son's football jersey.

The Cape May County Prosecutor's Office is investigating the death, along with the Sea Island City Detective Bureau.

Witness statements and a preliminary investigation indicate the officer involved acted appropriately, police said.

There is a war on. the military will take just about anybody now. even the Marines will accept crooks & drug addicts now

So do the cops.  

Roy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#34]
That is a damned shame.

I bet there are folks who will say we should not engage in foot pursuits now...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Didn't you drink as a kid?

hielo drank beer at age 12, was married at 16, had a child at age 17 and a 30,000 square foot bathroom by the tender age of 17-1/2!

j/k, hielo!

Couldn't resist!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The football and lacrosse player had scored 1500 on his SATs...

But Darwin still managed to catch up with him.

Indeed
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Ummm, I believe the consequences were a result of the kid running into traffic
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I feel bad for the kid, but this one kind of ends up a wash.  

He ran into traffic, he got killed.

It sucks, but every once in a while you roll snake eyes.

I doubt the cops would have done much to him anyway.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had people run from me for no discernable reason whatsoever. Every cop has.  

What this story tells me is that this clown,  who scored 1500 on his SATS etc,  Is too stupid to look both ways before crossing the street.

(for the record,  I've had TWO foot pursuits "terminate" in traffic.  Very messy)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]
"compelled" to run.  Yeah sure, who held the gun to his head.  Some of you guys are worse than liberals in your miserable attempts to find something to cry about
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Everybody ran when the cops showed up, Everybody.  They normally would not chase for such minor things as MIP.

Not chasing for MIP. Chasing for resisting arrest. Running is a whole new crime, resisting/evading.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#42]
A 17 yr. old KID gets intoxicated and does something STUPID , gee imagine that  

Some of you apparently never WERE Kids / and or don't Have Kids

May he rest in peace.

Oh well , at least the Officer went home safely........
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everybody ran when the cops showed up, Everybody.  They normally would not chase for such minor things as MIP.

Not chasing for MIP. Chasing for resisting arrest. Running is a whole new crime, resisting/evading.

Ar15fan, been following some of your posts and answers to others, and if you treat people on the streets the same way you respond on these threads, well then your screen name supliment says it ALL about you. How the hell did you ever pass the psychological exam?? I know Cali. has some screwed up people but you take the cake.

Roy

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ar15fan, been following some of your posts and answers to others, and if you treat people on the streets the same way you respond on these threads, well then your screen name supliment says it ALL about you. How the hell did you ever pass the psychological exam?? I know Cali. has some screwed up people but you take the cake.

Roy

And what exactly are you taking him to task for? He's telling you what the applicable charge is. What does that have to do with his mental stability?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Oh well , at least the Officer went home safely........

Stupid but predictable comment #1. Congrats! It is hard to be the first one to drop that winner!

How are you spinning this so it is the Po Po's fault or has any culpability at all? You advocate no foot pursuits?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#47]
high SAT scores don't equal common smarts, he probably would have died in action if he got that far
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok, since I haven't read this yet:

Hey kids! Do you want to join the military? Do you like to drink underage? Well, wait until you get through basic training! Then you can booze all you want because the cops are usually the same age as you, and they will prabably have a couple too if they catch you doing it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

And what exactly are you taking him to task for? He's telling you what the applicable charge is. What does that have to do with his mental stability?

Because he's doing what the usually clueless ARFCOM  cop thread poster does.  Reads things in a post that is not there, and then colors his response with bias.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Running in response to a minor violation of law, is usually indicative of a larger but yet undetected violation. Such as the runner is a fugative or has a stolen gun in his pocket. That does not seem to be the case in this incident. But it is why police are so enthusiatic to chase those who run.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top