Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/6/2004 2:20:59 PM EDT
I finally have the money for the carbine I want for after the ban goes away,and now he says he wont sign for it anymore.I know that I have to follow his rules cause I live here but before I got the money he said he would if I would pay the money.Guess I wont be getting that carbine I want after all.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a better job, save money and move out.
Tell your dad, 'So long, and thanks for your unwavering support, dad!".
Don't tell him where you moved to.
Then buy whatever the hell YOU want.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
is that the whole story, or is there something going on/that has happened to make him "change his mind" ?

if not, that's not cool... but what can you do other than deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Im 14.....make money on specialty jobs.I work for my uncle when I stay at his house,about 100$ a week.Oh,yes it is the whole story.All the sudden he says "you already have a rifle,you dont need another one."
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is that the whole story, or is there something going on/that has happened to make him "change his mind" ?

yeah give us the scoop - is his mind the only thing that changed?  Or is other stuff up?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
So, what reason does he give for changing his mind?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Be glad you have a dad, to piss you off.  Someday you'll understand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Im 14.....make money on specialty jobs.I work for my uncle when I stay at his house,about 100$ a week.Oh,yes it is the whole story.All the sudden he says "you already have a rifle,you dont need another one."

I'd say 'it's my money, I earned it, can't I decide what I want to spend it on?'
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hang on to the money save some more and keep working on him, when he agrees youll have enough to get something really cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#12]

That's pretty messed up.  Just use the gun show loophole to buy a full auto M16 for $100, once they start flooding the streets next week!

Seriously, man, maybe if you talk to him about it calmly a few times he may relent.  My first gun was an AK type rifle when I was 17, and my dad was kind of leery about purchasing it for me, but I was responsible and had earned the money for it at a minimum wage job, so he gave in.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
OK here is the story.Last year he got me my Colt.Before I got that rifle(for about 2 years) I had been saving for a carbine.After I registered on AR15.com I really got serious about my plans for the carbine.About 2 months before I got the money I asked and he said that if I could get all the moeny,he would sign for it.I agreed.Now,when I have the money he says he will not sign for it.His reason is that I already have a AR,I dont need another.Thats the whole story.I left NOTHING out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Theres a shit part about being under 18, and thats one of them.  21 too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
thats a shame..

by the time i was 14..

i already had bought enough firearms..(revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns) to outfit a south american guerilla force.

i worked my ass off at the farm and by mowing lawns at the age of 11. my dad and grnadpa would sign for a class 3 if i'd asked them too.

my first gun...paid for in sweat at 110 degree summertime oklahoma heat..

was a used like new Remington 742 30-06... i was 12.

that gun is my bread and butter...

12...with a 30-06.

and there are men here who complain about the recoil of a 30-06 and .308.

i must be getting old. (i'm 34).
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK here is the story.Last year he got me my Colt.Before I got that rifle(for about 2 years) I had been saving for a carbine.After I registered on AR15.com I really got serious about my plans for the carbine.About 2 months before I got the money I asked and he said that if I could get all the moeny,he would sign for it.I agreed.Now,when I have the money he says he will not sign for it.His reason is that I already have a AR,I dont need another.Thats the whole story.I left NOTHING out.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you already have an AR, I'd recommend that you put the money in a savings account, or throw it into a ROTH IRA or something like that.  Then you can buy a freakin' Ferrari or a tank or something when you retire

However, if he thought you didn't need two, he should have said so when you first floated the idea - and not reneged on a promise now.

But - since you've already got one, it's not a big deal.  If you want a carbine - you buy a post-ban upper after the ban expires.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be glad you have a dad, to piss you off.  Someday you'll understand.

I'm sorry to hear that.  It must have had quite an impact on you in order for you to express such feelings on this thread.  I hope you find resolution soon.  Best wishes.

I'm fine, it's been almost 5 years since he passed. I still miss him, however. We had a good relationship, but there still was a lot of things to share with him.

Make the most of what time you have with your parents.

Thanks, for your concern, it is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I already have money in a bank acount.But still,there is only a few days left until the ban goes away.AND THAN NOW he says that I cant get another one.Maybe I can convince him but I cant get cocky.It wont help much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
at 14 i am thinking there may more to this story than we are aware of. My son is 14 this year. He gets to USE some of my guns at the range but he will not OWN any until he is on his own.

mike

why
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to comply with your father's wishes as long as you live as a guest under his roof.  At 14, you aren't even close to earning your place in the adult world.  You don't have to like what your father says.  You however need to respect his decisions.  This isn't a hill worth dying on.

BTW, 12/25/04 will mark the 34th anniversary of my Dad's death.  I was 15.  After all these years I still miss him and Mom (who died 5/6/75) when I was 19.  My youngest is 19.  I have earned the right to have and express this opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I cant imagine what it would be like to lose both parents before I was 20,and I send my deepest condolences to you.It must have been hell in those 4 years.I know I have to follow his rules I just dont understand why he would go all John Kerry on me and flip-flop.Just makes me mad/confused.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy your Dad a kickass (expensive) birthday or Christmas Present, he'll come around. Remember, he is President Dad, donate generously to his slush fund. It will prove to him you understand how the economy works....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
It's our job, it's what we do.

signed: a dad
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#25]
He says he doesnt want anything for his birthday(Sept.14) and now he is thinking of an AR(Rock River).Sure,I could get that for him,but than how would I but the carbine I want?This sucks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope you never meet another man like me.  Not only was I without both parrents by the time I was 20, but just over 7 years ago my nearly 18-year-old son hung himself from a lamp post.  I am going to tell what I often tell kids who are at odds with their parents.  I know what it is like to lose parents and I know what it is like to bury your first-born son.  

If your parents are good, count yourself as blessed.  A good parent will put your approval of them (and even your love)at risk to protect you.  Your Dad has decided that it isn't in your best interests to spend that money on a CAR15.  He probably doesn't like saying no.  One of the most frustrating aspects of being a parent is not having the power to make everything work out for the ones they love.  The second most frustrating thing is having their kids ignore their warnings of the pitfalls of life.

I don't know your dad.  He may not be a talkative guy.  You might want to discuss this with him further, but not with the intend of changing his mind.  Ask him to tell you a bit more about adult decision-making.  Heck, tell him a guy on the web with my background told you to stop arguing and start learning about growing up.

I'm not putting you down.  You seem like a level-headed kid.  I know about disappointment and promises that were not kept (my wife of nearly 30 years abandoned us last christmas).  I also know about shattered dreams.  You are starting to learn about this stuff from the viewpoint of a young teenager.

One other bit of fatherly advice is to do well in good areas.  Most adults will bend over backwards to help any young person who is attentive, respectful, and hard working.  Good parents look for opportunities to share insights into life and even some very hard-earned and expensive lessons.

If you had words with you dad about this.  Apologize to him and tell him you realize that he wants the best for you.  Don't build up walls.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]
The sensible thing, if you really want a carbine, would be to float the idea of converting the AR you already have. You could sell off the rifle parts, install a tele-stock and carbine upper, and still have only one AR and at a lower cost. He might relent and allow that at least. (I would if I were a dad). Use the extra money for ammo and mags.

ETA: Agree 100% with not building a wall between you and your dad over this. In the end, he's much more experienced at life than anyone your age (you will understand just how true that is some day).
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#29]
We dont argue about it,he just brings it up once and a while to sorta piss me off.He is just sorta cheap.Actually,really cheap.I dont really want to convert this one cause than I wont have a rifle,just a carbine.He just doesnt like that I will have two very similar rifles.He has about 4 bolt action rifles that are exactly the same exept caliber.Same scopes and everything.Go figure.He doesnt want me to get a AK either.To him,if the rifle doesnt have a use to him(he target shoots,goes for accuracy only) than he doesnt like it.So,that means no Kalashnikov for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, since you're not willing to convert your rifle, you may just have to wait for the carbine. Keep saving though - that's always a good thing to do!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
THAT'S FUKKIN LAME!!!

My condolences but anyone going back on their word is exercising poor judgement.

Come on now 82nd.  Do you think you know better than this 14 year old's father what's best for him?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
We dont argue about it,he just brings it up once and a while to sorta piss me off.He is just sorta cheap.Actually,really cheap.I dont really want to convert this one cause than I wont have a rifle,just a carbine.

So why not just buy the carbine upper for now?  You don't need any signature or FFL involved, and you can just switch the uppers back and forth whenever you want - that way you have a rifle when you feel like a rifle, and a carbine when you want the carbine.  It's not like you can use both at the same time anyway.  And then when he changes his mind, or you turn 18, you can just buy another lower, and you'll have the two ARs.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Hell, my folks didnt want me to get an AR at all.  
I bought a stripped lower from a LEO (A shooting buddy of mine) when I was 17.  They didnt find out I had it till I bought a WOA upper.  They got mad at me, but after what they did to me with my car, I basically told them to piss off.  (I inhearited a basically new car, that my mom took and she 'gave' me her worn out POS that cost me $3500 in repairs in 2 months.  The car was worth about $1300)  Since then I have bought lowers and while they get mad about it, they cant do a damn thing about it.  They still dont know about my M4gery that I am building.  And I plan to keep it that way.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hell, my folks didnt want me to get an AR at all.  
I bought a stripped lower from a LEO (A shooting buddy of mine) when I was 17.  They didnt find out I had it till I bought a WOA upper.  They got mad at me, but after what they did to me with my car, I basically told them to piss off.  (I inhearited a basically new car, that my mom took and she 'gave' me her worn out POS that cost me $3500 in repairs in 2 months.  The car was worth about $1300)  Since then I have bought lowers and while they get mad about it, they cant do a damn thing about it.  They still dont know about my M4gery that I am building.  And I plan to keep it that way.  

Did you read anything Mahatma8Rice wrote?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Five bucks his dad says no to the upper as well.

Can you buy one under 18?

Dude, it would save you money to just buy the upper.

You could get the carbine upper and 9mm upper!!

How about SAVE for a CAR...

TEENAGE GIRL>>>>>You have guns...Ew!

OR

TEENAGE GIRL>>>>>You have a car? Wanna make out??!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
get a kalashnikov.

Campy, I didnt even get to the second page of this thread and I started to hear this comment in my head..."Oh paging CAMPYBOB"... yup, you have an AR, now its time for an AK.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#38]
just go and order a carbine upper
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Tell him you dont want a whole new rifle just the upper and stock to change yours over to a carbine. Then it will still be one rifle. Plus it will not be on another yellow sheet, it is just parts.

Bob

Quoted:
He says he doesnt want anything for his birthday(Sept.14) and now he is thinking of an AR(Rock River).Sure,I could get that for him,but than how would I but the carbine I want?This sucks.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Ima just add a poll to this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#41]
your 14 years old, you dont need to be spending $1000 on a gun that you already have.  Your father isjust looking out for your best interests.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#42]
WTF!I just added a poll and this message popped up when i pressed vote...

"An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator."

Whats wrong with it?

Edited to add:never mind it went away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Buy a new upper. When it comes in the mail, tell him it's not a new gun. That's the truth.

It might be shady and promote distrust, but if he goes back on what he said then he has it coming.

Just my opinion, as a 16 year old. Fortunately, I don't have problems like that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I am very responsible with all guns.He is home from work now so we can talk about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I am very responsible with all guns.He is home from work now so we can talk about it.

We know this... The fact is, you're going to be paying $850 for a "carbine" when you could drop $375 on the same damn thing by buying an upper and switching them out.

Your dad isn't doing this because he doesn't want you to have guns, he's doing this to save you over $400. Jesus, THANK the man for pointing out such a thing.

Save your cash, buy an upper, forget this "carbine" shit. No need to buy a whole new firearm when you can buy the parts for a conversion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#47]
you'll shoot yuour eye out kid
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#48]
IMHO, don't let this become a major grudge between you and your dad. Im' lucky, my dad has always been there for me. We've had our fights and arguments but I've always trusted his judgement/decisions. I had my 1st gun when I was 10, because he felt I was ready. It was only a .22, big difference I know, but it went from there. Biggest thing was your dad changed his mind. Tell him how this makes you feel. Tell him that it bothers you that you had an agreement, you held up your end of the bargain and now he's backing out. Things like this affect your trust in him. That is a major issue with most parents. Remind him that if the ban sunsets, it might only be temporarily. Don't argue because you'll get the "Cause I said so" line. Another point is his similar rifles. He's into long range accuracy your into this. Tell him you want a 9mm carbine. You can always change out the guts to 5.56 later, and it gives you more variety in your collection. What ever happens remember he's your dad and respect him and keep us posted. Later.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Uhhhh, you know, technically, this is a straw purchase, and is illegal. Unless they changed the law, but last I checked, while buying as a gift is okay, if you buy a gun for somebody else, and they pay for it, it is a straw purchase. Felonies for everyone involved, unless I'm mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Uhhhh, you know, technically, this is a straw purchase, and is illegal. Unless they changed the law, but last I checked, while buying as a gift is okay, if you buy a gun for somebody else, and they pay for it, it is a straw purchase. Felonies for everyone involved, unless I'm mistaken.

It's legal if a parents buys for a child.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top