Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2004 8:33:15 AM EDT
Found something new now on restaurant receipts... For all us dumbasses. We went into a diner and when I got the receipt for the charge card, it automatically figures out the tip at 15%, 18% and 20% and all you have to do is fill in the amount in the blank space. IT ACTUALLY GIVES YOU CHOICES!!!

I tell ya people... Isnt it a little presumptuous to think I would even put a tip on there? What if the service was crappy? why didnt they put a 10% or 5% amount?

And the service we got was not worth any 15%.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Most will put a "tip amount" on the reciept also......if you get crappy service, don't not leave anything......give them 5 cents...that way they will know you didn't just forget......

archer2
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not tip unless the service is good. Really good. I have had a waiteress at TGI Friday's in Carlsbad, CA follow me into the parking lot and ask for a tip(told her to fuck off), and a waiter at the same resteraunt do the same(watched another Marine beat him senseless). I also leave tips when the waiter/waitress is genuinly trying. I don't leave a tip for anyone who tries to force one out of me.

I also don't usually tip when I am on the road, or at a resteraunt that I know I will never go back to.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a decent tipper...except for the appliance repair guy, he's an asshat.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I generally tip around 20% if the service was good. 10-15% if it was ok. Leave a dollar if the was poor and nothing if the waiter was rude or nonresponsive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

SGatr15

He made fun of the dolls, didn't he?

-
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a fucking Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, this girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. But she wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I also don't tip when I am on the road, or at a resteraunt that I know I will never go back to.  

Are you an asshole or just cheap?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually write "On Table" where the tip amount is on the receipt so that (a small percentage of those that would do it) can't write in something on the receipt even after I left a tip on the table.

I waited tables for a couple of months over 25 years ago while I was in high school. I usually tip pretty generously (15% - 20%) for good service, but I also agree that tips are becoming to be "expected" and not "earned". We were at a Golden Corral in Moore, OK for lunch during a training session a couple of years ago. The place is a friggin' buffet! (and YOU wait on YOURSELF) The waiter never even refilled our drinks and he had the nerve to follow us out into the parking lot when we didn't leave him a tip. He was bitching that he "got taxed on 15% of his gross bill" and then called us cheap bastards. (Yes, we did report the incident to the manager.)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I like to leave a great tip for great service, If I get bad service I dont leave a tip at all
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
The coffee cup must not remain empty.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I do not tip unless the service is good. Really good. I have had a waiteress at TGI Friday's in Carlsbad, CA follow me into the parking lot and ask for a tip(told her to fuck off), and a waiter at the same resteraunt do the same(watched another Marine beat him senseless). I also leave tips when the waiter/waitress is genuinly trying. I don't leave a tip for anyone who tries to force one out of me.

I also don't tip when I am on the road, or at a resteraunt that I know I will never go back to.  

Joe: "Cough up a buck, you cheap bastard."
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy are you cheap.  Bet you get a lot of additional ingredients in your food.

I doubt it, as I don't advertise that I'm not leaving a tip. I go out to eat simply for the service. If the service is no good, I don't go back to the resteraunt. In the few resteraunts that I visit regularly, I tip simply as a matter of insurance against such things, and because in all of them, I really like the people that work there.  I feel no obligation to leave a tip to a shitty waitress at a Denny's in Lubbock Texas, especially since I know I will never be back. If she earns a tip she gets one. If not she can steal something out of the register, or starve for all I care. I don't work for fuckin' UNICEF.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No offense - but that's really lame.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Tipping should NOT depend on whether you will ever be in the area of the restaurant ever again...that's just rude  Our niece works her ass off waiting tables and it upsets me whenever she comes home and tells me that a family stiffs her on a tip, even more rude when the husband is trying to shoo his family out the door before the waitress cleans up the table and discovers that there's no tip...COWARD!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A bit of both probably. I should add that this rule typically coincides with the good waitress rule I previously posted. I also don't tip at buffet resteraunts, since I don't think it is worth 15% for someone to refill a Coke.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't waiters/waitresses get automatically taxed on their tips?  The IRS uses a formula to figure how much they make in tips and the tax is withheld from each paycheck.  If they don't receive the full amount of tip calculated, too bad because the IRS still withholds the money assuming that they are simply not declaring that income.  Certainly draconian taxation.  

I will tip 15% for normal service and 20% if the service was great (rare).  I have on occasion not tipped at all but that is rare as well.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Listen, I am not the world's biggest tipper, and I can and DO give zero for really bad service, but joker581 is a total jerk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Damn!
I leave a tip anywhere from $1.00 to 15% depending on the service. Iv'e hand delivered tips at places most people wouldn't both leaving tips at just because the server/ staff was polite and efficient.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Never add the tip to the CC charge. NEVER! a friend of mine did that once and then when he got his CC bill the bill for the meal was almost double as someone decided they didn't get a big enough tip. So even when I pay for a meal with a CC I always bring some cash for the tip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Waaaaay lame.

You should stay at home and eat baloney sandwiches.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#25]
For great service I give 25% and tell the manager.
For good service I tip 20%.
For regular service I tip 15%.
For bad service I get te manager.  I've tipped for bad service in the past because it wasn't the waiter's fault.  The manager had put him on two areas beacuse someone called in sick.  He was trying, but he just couldn't do it.  Other times the waiter was just a fuckup.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#26]
one of the rest. here does that, but it does 10% , 15% , and 20%
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I go into a restaraunt expecting NOT to tip. A tip is something they earn for being an excellent waitress/er. If they do a shitty job then they get nothing. If they do a good job then I tip well. If my drink goes empty then that usually means no tip. If the waiter says they are going to bring a refill right out and they never come back, or say I forgot or something like that then that is a guarantee they won't get a tip.

Mr. Pink The word "Busy" should not be in a waitresses vocabulary.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Listen, I am not the world's biggest tipper, and I can and DO give zero for really bad service, but joker581 is a total jerk.

Why, because I don't feel obligated to throw additional money to someone who doesn't earn it? I worked hard for the money I have, and no that I'm a student there isn't anymore coming in. I don't have sympathy for someone who can sit down and bullshit with his friends while I'm sitting there with any empty glass. Nor do I have any desire to to pay a guy that disappears for 15 minutes after I get my food without even leaving me a fork. I didn't say that I never tip, or even that I don't tip good when I do. I just don't tip when it isn't earned.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#30]
great service, 30% and I tell the manager

good = 20-25%

poor - penny in the bottom of my glass
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, because I don't feel obligated to throw additional money to someone who doesn't earn it? I worked hard for the money I have, and no that I'm a student there isn't anymore coming in. I don't have sympathy for someone who can sit down and bullshit with his friends while I'm sitting there with any empty glass. Nor do I have any desire to to pay a guy that disappears for 15 minutes after I get my food without even leaving me a fork. I didn't say that I never tip, or even that I don't tip good when I do. I just don't tip when it isn't earned.

You said that you /never/ tip when you 're out of town, implying that you tip only so that resturaunts at which you dine regularly won't spit in your food, not because of the service.

Don't try to backpedal now, we all know why you do tip when you do -- so they don't jizz in your milkshake.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with not tipping for shitty service, but your post made it seem like you didn't tip at all when you were on the road, or if you knew you weren't coming back - regardless of the service.

If you cannot afford to pay tips because you are a student - then stick to fast food joints and the grocery store, because then you cannot afford to go to a sit-down restaurant.

Btw- I know what it's like to be poor.  When I was an undergrad, I'd literally go weeks where I ate nothing but cereal and drank water because I couldn't afford food.  When I was a graduate student, I was well below the poverty line - but if I had enough money to go to a restaurant, i woudl certianly leave a tip.  Being poor is not an excuse for screwing other people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I also think people who don't tip are on a power trip. So often the waitstaff has no control over things going bad. Just figure in the tip as the cost of going out to eat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#35]
The job requires no brains, no education, and no investment on the waitpersons part.  All they have to do is be prompt, act nice, and bring you a bill.  

They earn what they earn.  If they don't like it they should quit.  Supply and demand for people to do that job will get the salary right pretty quickly.  

I had friend once who made what I made, darn good money.  Only she was waiting tables, drawing a pay check, and pocketing all the tips.  Only difference is, she only worked 3 nights a week.  Then she has the nerve to complain about people not tipping.

Nobody ever thought about tipping me for my work.

Good grief.  Tipping was invented by democrats.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#36]
If I get great service, I make sure that the waiter/waitress sees that they did a good job. I've tipped more for than I paid for a meal a few times before because the person was THAT good.

That said, if you only come up to my table once or twice during my meal and you take a long time or you don't make an effort... Well, I'll leave about 3-5% tips. I have left a Penny as a tip once when I had a particular nasty asshole of a waiter - he deserved it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A bit of both probably. I should add that this rule typically coincides with the good waitress rule I previously posted. I also don't tip at buffet resteraunts, since I don't think it is worth 15% for someone to refill a Coke.

Me and Sniper_Wolfe got into this same argument just the other night when my girlfriend got us all together for a birthday dinner for me. We went to a Chinese buffet, so the waitress didn't serve us but she was refilling 10 glasses and clearing plates for 10 people.

He argued that she didn't serve us so she shouldn't get any tip at all, which I felt was ridiculous....

Regardless she got her tip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

He made fun of the dolls, didn't he?

-

I NEVER made fun of the dolls. Few rules in life I had learned.

1. NEVER cheat on your wife
2. NEVER steal
3. DONT drink and drive
4. NEVER make fun of the Sarge's dolls
5. DONT eat yellow snow

and Sarge... YES! Appliance guys are asshats.... 'cept me of course.

You know when I worked in NYC, I made anywhere between 50.00 to 80.00 a day in tips when repairing appliances. Out in CA, I am lucky if I bring in a 20.00 in a MONTH! Californians DO NOT tip on services. I ALWAYS tip people who work on my stuff. Plumbers, cable guys, window installers... Doesnt matter. You do work in my house, you get a tip. Unless you are an appliance repair asshat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I ALWAYS tip people who work on my stuff. Plumbers, cable guys, window installers... Doesnt matter. You do work in my house, you get a tip.

I'm pretty good at plunging commodes. Can I come over?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Me and Sniper_Wolfe got into this same argument just the other night when my girlfriend got us all together for a birthday dinner for me. We went to a Chinese buffet, so the waitress didn't serve us but she was refilling 10 glasses and clearing plates for 10 people.

He argued that she didn't serve us so she shouldn't get any tip at all, which I felt was ridiculous....

Regardless she got her tip.

Way to call call out your buddy in front of us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Having been a waiter in high school I tip WAY to much. I wind up giving the server breaks cuz I know it's not always their fault.

I've got to cut back.

15% is a great tip, I usually tip 20 - 25%.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Never add the tip to the CC charge. NEVER! a friend of mine did that once and then when he got his CC bill the bill for the meal was almost double as someone decided they didn't get a big enough tip. So even when I pay for a meal with a CC I always bring some cash for the tip.

Had this happen to me. I put a goose egg for tip on the CC. Someone filled in a nice $20 tip. Note though, I left 20% on the table. I went back in the place when I got my bill, complained to management and they said there was nothing they could do. Suffice it to say, when we had that waitress again, I explained to her why she wouldn't be recieving a tip this time as we left.  And I paid cash this time too so she couldn't stiff me again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I usually write "On Table" where the tip amount is on the receipt so that (a small percentage of those that would do it) can't write in something on the receipt even after I left a tip on the table.

I waited tables for a couple of months over 25 years ago while I was in high school. I usually tip pretty generously (15% - 20%) for good service, but I also agree that tips are becoming to be "expected" and not "earned". We were at a Golden Corral in Moore, OK for lunch during a training session a couple of years ago. The place is a friggin' buffet! (and YOU wait on YOURSELF) The waiter never even refilled our drinks and he had the nerve to follow us out into the parking lot when we didn't leave him a tip. He was bitching that he "got taxed on 15% of his gross bill" and then called us cheap bastards. (Yes, we did report the incident to the manager.)

I am a repair tech for a restaurant franchise, we operate Burger Kings, Chili's, Papa Vinos, Gradys, and Porterhouse restaurnts. I can tell you this, if one of our waitstaff even so much as discusses a tip with a guest, they will be terminated on the spot. That said, these folks are making $2.83/hr, that is the reason that you can get a $25.00 meal for 12 bucks. Pay them what they are worth, and watch your eating out bill jump significantly.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Those tips have been around for some time now.  Problem is the tip is computed on the total bill including tax.  I typically double tax, which is 8.25% here
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn... we have some cheap SOBs' around here!

I worked my way through college waiting tables & delivering pizzas, so let me clue you guys in on a couple of things...

Very often, it is NOT the fault of the waiter / delivery person that your food order is late or wrong. Let's not forget who staffs the kitchens of most restaurants these days... uneducated illegal immigrants who can't read English, barely speak it, and generally exhibit a less than enthusiastic attitude toward customer satisfaction.  

Sure, service providers can screw up as well, but if they exhibit good manners & prompt service and your order is STILL screwed up, please don't take your frustration out on them... they are just as pissed off at the kitchen staff as you are, and in most cases they have no real recourse in solving the underlying problems.

Also, ordering take-out or going out to eat is a LUXURY, not a necessity. If you are so strapped for cash that you can't afford to tip properly, maybe you should consider cooking & eating at home... it's much more economical!

... just a view from the other side of the table.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had this happen to me. I put a goose egg for tip on the CC. Someone filled in a nice $20 tip. Note though, I left 20% on the table. I went back in the place when I got my bill, complained to management and they said there was nothing they could do. Suffice it to say, when we had that waitress again, I explained to her why she wouldn't be recieving a tip this time as we left.  And I paid cash this time too so she couldn't stiff me again.

I wouldn't have let it go so quietly. The management sounds as though they encouraged that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#50]

You know when I worked in NYC, I made anywhere between 50.00 to 80.00 a day in tips when repairing appliances. Out in CA, I am lucky if I bring in a 20.00 in a MONTH!
People tip their appliance repair guy? Thats like tippig the plumber or electritian. WTF, over? They make more than I do!

We ate at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in Honolulu a couple weeks ago. Food and service was good. The waitress put an extra 15% on the bill. She screwed herself out of an extra 5%. That aint gonna make or break her on a $100 bill, but would have been another 5 bucks.

Tips should be earned, not mandatory. Some wait-persons ger it and others dont.

I live for the time that some piss poor waitress or waiter adds an extra 15. Its gonna be on then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top