Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 8:10:05 AM EDT
Anyone ever try these "phermone" things where just being in the presence of a woman will drive her crazy from this stuff mixed in with your after shave/cologne?

Gimmick or real?

Obviously it sounds really cool for someone who pictures themselves walking into a room and seeing all the women turn their heads and raise an eyebrow as you stroll up to the bar. But has anyone bought this stuff and had their reality check bounce when they tried it for real?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
This one is know to work...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Pheromones

Hoopla and balderdash IMO. There are no clinical data to support assertions that higher order mammals really make pheromones that are detectable to their potential mates. As we climbed the food chain, we lost the need to find a mate in the crowd by using our noses.

Go spend your money on real problems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pheromones

Hoopla and balderdash IMO. There are no clinical data to support assertions that higher order mammals really make pheromones that are detectable to their potential mates.

That was my impression - I don't think there IS such a thing as human pheromones.

The snake-oil radar is definitely off the chart on this one
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't think I was considering trying these... if I were back on the singles scene I'd probably be more likely to wear the opposite as I'd want nothing to do with women again. Just a t-shirt with "Marriage: Been there, done that, lost half my money and stuff, now I'm prefectly happy jacking off."
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Obviously it sounds really cool for someone who pictures themselves walking into a room and seeing all the women turn their heads and raise an eyebrow as you stroll up to the bar.

Thats happened to me a few times, its usually followed with a kick to the groin and some girl telling me to "Go to hell".  I gotta move where people don't recognize me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't need pheremones.

I don't even need pick-up lines.  I just need to know how to respond to em.

- BG

(Someone call me... I'm lonely)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
There is some data showing that human pheromones can have subtle effects.  Two women living together for an extended period of time may gradually have menstrual cycles that synchronize.  Clear evidence there that body chemistry can and does affect the body chemistry of another.  But humans don't respond as instinctively due to the development of a "higher" brain.  Pigs and dogs may start salivating when exposed to pheromones, but human behavior is much more complex and responds less predictably.

I read about that one news station way back when which used a pheromone in a dental office.  They sprayed it on one chair and found more women chose that chair throughout the day.  I'm not sure if they had the proper controls, such as having the chairs beside each other and facing in the same direction and having the same selection of reading material in front of each.  

The point is that with humans, pheromones are only a weak and very minor stimuli in the whole scheme of things.  It may get you noticed by the opposite sex at best, but they still have to respond to other cues which have way more impact on behavior (the way you look, speak, etc).  A fugly ass dude isn't gonna become sex magnet using artificial pheromones.  The pheromone industry, just like any other that is related to beauty, makes its millions on the desperation and insecurity of the lonely.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top