Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 8:02:59 AM EDT
Anyone own one, live in one, know someone who owns one, and/or been in one?

Tell me/us all about them? I've seen them in Pop-Sci ads all the time and think they look like the coolest thing.

Are they expensive compred to a traditional style of home building?

Pros & Cons?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one. Basic model built in 84' before they were well known. In southern AZ, it has no AC, a swamp cooler keeps it comfortable in summer. Slab concrete floor painted battleship grey. 1-1/2baths. Circular stairway to the top floor/bedroom area. Pros: Exceptionally efficent IMO. Everything's electric, heat, HotH20, appliances....hense having a generator is wise. Cons:  The resale market is smaller than a traditional one. The floor is not elevated from the ground so making sure you not in a FlashFlood area is prudent. FWIW Like I said, it a basic older one, not the upgraded newer ones. Cost now challange regular housing IIRC having looked into making it a double dome.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it made of timber or concrete?
Not sure how different the newer ones are as far as improvements...
Do they now have raised foundations?
Can you get one with a basement?

Do you have a hard time with things normally easy in a regular vertical wall home, like arranging furniture, hanging pictures, etc?

I was looking at how they make the rebar/concrete domes. It's pretty cool and sounds like a great thing to have in a place where shitty weather is fairly common, as they claim to be exceptionally sturdy, even tornado proof. I don't know if the timber ones makes the same claims as the conrete ones though.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
No its the concrete blown on a rebarlike mesh frame X2. There is a straight wall seperating the kitchen/bath/laundry area. Visualize the hands on 3'oclock. Exceptionally strong......only once during a FF did I watch the water come in one door and exhit the others. If there was a raised floor maybe that would not have happened. Sunroof helps heat it in winter beaming on the concrete floor. I'd imagine they have raised floors now. I'm a minimalist when it comes to CRAP*, so there's "just enough" furniture, no, its no problem. Go to domehomes.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I want one too. Found this: www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/eye/
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a dome home cost calculator: www.monolithic.com/plan_design/evaluation/index.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
my folks have a 3-storey dome in northern california.

because of all the odd angles and shapes, most domes are inneficent to BUILD and dificult to furnish... lots of wasted drywall and lumber, hard to fit a bookcase or whatever against a wall that's not vertical.

concrete domes might not have the same problem... depends on how it's finished on the inside.

however, it's typicly efficent when it comes to heating/cooling because of the low surface area for the volume inside.

resale market is harder because it's not a "conventional" home... probably doesn't make a difference in the Santa Cruz, CA area tho because of all the hipies and weirdos... plenty of domes and wierd stuff there and it'd fit right in... but that's not where theirs is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
In the off chance that I woudl actually build one of these odds are it'd be mine until I die.

That calculator is awesome... it's too bad they don't have some sort of virtual floorplan/tour thing to go with it. They seem pretty afforable though.

I take it they are more common in the west states than on the east coast?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always wanted to build one of these. I think it would work well in tornado prone north dakota.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I want one too. Found this: www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/eye/

Looks like something from Star Wars.

Guess that's why I like it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My dream house would only cost $484,550.00. I'll take 2.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Local home that is a model for others.....

...dang!

I wonder how much that thing cost him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
A geodesic dome house is the shit.  I almost bought one but there were other problems with the property.  If I lived in Florida it would be the only type of house I would own.  They withstand tremendous forces and you can configure the interior any way you would like as there are no load bearing walls.  Buckminster Fuller is the man.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A geodesic dome house is the shit.  I almost bought one but there were other problems with the property.  If I lived in Florida it would be the only type of house I would own.  They withstand tremendous forces and you can configure the interior any way you would like as there are no load bearing walls.  Buckminster Fuller is the man.

The ones in this thread so far aren't geodesic ... they're just smooth reinforced concrete domes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top