Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2001 1:59:50 PM EDT
They say when you shoot them that even at 200 yards it gives you a good thump on the chest.

[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/nonnfaad.cgi?read=108443[/URL]

I just ordered 20 half pounders for our family weekend shoots and just for information purposes I was wondering what would happen if you placed one on a 5 gal propane tank and shot it with a .308 from 200 yards away.

Would anyone hazard to take a guess at what the result might be?

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]subguns.biggerhammer.net/nonnfaad.cgi?read=107718[/url]

Cool
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for information purposes I think If you strapped one on top of a 5 gallon propane you are nuts.
That shit can kill you!!!
Please be carefull if you try to experement. We would hate to loose a good guy like you.
I would not mind seeing one go off myself but here where I live its so dry all the time I don't even shoot tracers for fear of setting the pastures on fire.
Have fun with your new toys but again I say "be carefull"
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sportsmans Supply has a good point.

What is that propane tank made of?  Steel?

And what happens if you get hit by a hunk of that steel tank shrapnel?

You win a Darwin Award.

Be careful.

Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
ok let me take a crack at this in (theory)
I TOO WOULD SAY YOU WOULD BE A FOOL TO TRY IT and a dead ringer for the darwin award.

Id look at this as somthing similar to a platter charge if the tank exploded. like the ira used to use back in the day.  
They would take a several pound block of solid copper and put a few pounds of tnt behind it that would expel the copper slab at speeds close to the speed of sound that would obliterate just about anything armored or not.

My guess is what is felt besides the rapid gas disperal wave is the low frequency sound wave like the thump you feel in your chest that you get from being close to a sub-woofer during a rap song.

If you were to detonate a 5 gallon lp can my guess is windows would shatter from the blast wave within 100 yards easily possibly farther.

It could also shatter your ear drums or at least dammage them with ear protection on.

The explosion itself however would be herd for several miles . debres kicked up by the explosion would become shrapnel in all directions.

and that dont include the actual parts of the tank that would fly in all directions close to the speed of sound

again kiddies dont try this AT ALL!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THISISME!!!
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psyche.

Dude, get behind a good tree, and light the sucker up. Stuff like that is what makes life worth living.

Shootin guns and makin stuff 'splode- Man can have no greater Joy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I really don't think a propane tank is going to explode THAT violently. First off, the propane itself cannot explode or even burn without oxygen, and it will take time for it to mix with the surrounding air once it is released from the tank. And further, the propane is in liquid form in the tank. It can't mix with air until it "boils" into gas form, putting everything it contacts into a deep-freeze in the process.

I'd expect a big, soft, Hollywood-style fireball lasting a few seconds, not a sharp shrapnel-propelling blast.

And that only assuming the tank was blown wide open by that other stuff. The result of putting a .30 hole through the tank would probably be downright lame.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuzzbean has it right!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok guy’s, Fuzzbean is the only one who guessed (or answered) correctly.

I have seen 5 gal propane tanks set on fire and shot full of holes and do no more than send flames through the holes even when the tank had been set on fire before hand till the safety valve popped.

This should produce an explosion and a nice fireball. At 200 yards everyone would be very safe behind a car.

At our new family range we are roughly three miles from the nearest farm in a man made canyon with a level floor 300 yards wide and 1 mile long with 30 feet backstops open on both ends with no vegetation so there is no fire danger.

Oh and calm down a little guys. This is only for informational purposes.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
How about turning on the gas and driving 200 yards away?
[smoke]
Surprised some of us are still alive!
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
THISISME

I have a spare propane tank you can have if you tell me where your little family range is [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
M1A-A1, Sounds like a good trade but we don’t want it to get crowded out there.

It is south of Gold Canyon by exactly 16 ½ miles and I have directions down to the tenth mile for each turn.

The only questions that remain are; Is it near enough to be any use to you and the most important one to us, can you keep the place a relative secret. I don’t mean you can tell anyone but we would hate to see four or five shooters out there every time we go out because as it is you could test high explosives out there without any hassles from other shooters.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Tim J, I’m sure they meant well; they just had never seen anything like it except for the exaggerations of Hollywood. 300 yards is an easy shot with my AR10. It will be a blast.

M1A-A1, where are you?

[url]http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/nonnfaad.cgi?read=108443[/url]

I tried to post and image but had no luck.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me know what happens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey Tim J, if you recall the movie correctly, that poor sucker did shoot his eye out!!!!  [B)]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
These targets are an interesting idea. Most binary exlosives I am familiar with use potassium nitrate and nitro methane. Even when mixed this stuff is not subject to detonation by shock. In it's mixed form, I have seen it shot with bullets without detonation. It can only be set off with a detonator (det cord, blasting cap etc.)

These tannerite targets must have some sort of a shock sensitive detonator built into them.

If you want a realy cool explosion, use a plastic bucket half filled with gasoline. Put it inside a large plastic garbage bag and inflate and seal the bag. Slosh the gas around in the bucket to vaporize some of the gas and fill the bag with fumes. When you shoot your target, it will ignite the vapors which will help vaporize and ignite the rest of the gas. It is a lot cheaper and safer than a steel propane tank and just as spectacular. I did this one time and the  fireball was a couple hundred feet high and at least 100 feet round. Awesome!

PS. The air fuel mixture ratio is important so you may want to try different amounts of gas. Also best to put the bucket in a hole in the gound.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Why shoot a propane tank if the stuff comes in a binary form? Mix it all together in one container. Expensive, but I bet it's cool as hell!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top