Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 7:08:35 AM EDT
Anyone here like myself who wanted to join or had thoughts about joing the military, but never went through with it.  I'm 25 now, married, just bought a new home, and starting school in October to finish up and get my bachelor's in Criminal Justice. But there is and always will be a desire to join when I was younger and single. It would definitely be too hard now, because I'd miss my wife and family too much. I don't think I'd enjoy it anymore.  But sometimes I surely regret it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I never went through with it because they didn't let me join.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I would rather be in LE always can give your time to the service when needed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone here like myself who wanted to join or had thoughts about joing the military, but never went through with it.  I'm 25 now, married, just bought a new home, and starting school in October to finish up and get my bachelor's in Criminal Justice. But there is and always will be a desire to join when I was younger and single. It would definitely be too hard now, because I'd miss my wife and family too much. I don't think I'd enjoy it anymore.  But sometimes I surely regret it.  

As you should
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
No. I joined at 17 with my parents permission. At 25 I got out with over eight years in the Infantry.
You should do it or you will always wonder.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Tried at 24.  Failed physical due to left testical being to large (really!).  Got that fixed a year or so later, then had second child.  Tired reserves later but overall timing was very bad having job and family...then the back oreal started.....

Alot of this was during the 90's with CLinton so.....

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Not joining is my biggest regret in life. I'm way to old now. I could be retired.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey just finish school and then seek a commission as an butter bar in the Military Police branch, hell they don't do anything anyway's us infantry types end pulling most of the duties thet they are supposed to do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]
In Canada, the military is not regarded the same as it is here. Enlisting in the military is seen as a last resort for young people who cant get a 'real' job. I remember having my eyes opened when I spent 3 weeks in Raeford in '87 and saw so many Americans in the service and how they were looked at.
There is a tradition of war service in my family and had there been a war I would have joined and I do regret not having spent some time in the military now. Back then it wasnt an option.
My father was LEO and he hated his job and he strongly urged me not to follow in his footsteps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I was all set to go into the Gaurd when I was 23, went thru the written tests(scored really high too) took the physcial and all. Had my MOS picked out, Fire Control Systems on Cobras, also, because of school I was going in as an E-3. Got to the end of the Physcal and some old guy said that my eyes were not good enough, bumbed me out big time.  
 My one dream job would be to be in good enough shape to have made it into the SEALs, those guys are my idea of what the Military is all about. They're the Best of the Best.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I spent 6 years in the Navy and I don't regret joining nor getting out.  I lived on a submarine for a little more than 4 years that's something most people will never even see in person.  I met a lot a great people, got to see places my friends and family will never see and actually had Americans I met oversees tell me how lucky I was to get to go to those places for free.  I don't know about it being for free or not because we definitely had to pay by spending weeks and months at a time underwater to spend 5-7 days in a liberty port.  I got a great job when I got out because of the training I received in the Navy.  I sometimes look back and wonder if I should have gone to college instead and if I did, where would I be now and what would I be doing.  Then I look at all that I have... gorgeous wife, beautiful house, nice cars, and I live in paradise (when there's no hurricanes around) and I know I made the right decision.  I believe very strongly that all things in life happen for a reason.  If it's something that you really want to do and it was meant to be, then it will happen, but if the things in your life make it difficult or impossible for you to do, then that is the way it was meant to be.  Do the things in life that make you happy, but don't dwell too long on things that you could or would or should have done because you might miss something better while you're dwelling...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my guys didn't join my Guard unit til he was 35. Til the military says you are too old to join, it is never too late. Just be realistic about how your age can affect your performance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Sarge... really... left testicle too big? Wow. If the DQ'd you for that, they really must not have needed people badly at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Tried at 24.  Failed physical due to left testical being to large (really!).  Got that fixed a year or so later, then had second child.  Tired reserves later but overall timing was very bad having job and family...then the back oreal started.....

Alot of this was during the 90's with CLinton so.....

SGtar15

Havign oversize genitalia is the best damn reason in the world for not getting in!  Hang in there...er, I mean, at least you tried!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been in about 10 months now.  I wouldn't say I regret joining, but if I could do it all over again I probably wouldn't do it.  Before I left for OSUT I really thought I'd love it... but in reality its more like I like myt actual job, but I just despise my employer.

Oh well, I'm in till Nv 2007, so I do what I can to make the best of it

If anyone here is really considering joining.  Talk to people who were in that loved it and hated it.  Don't have a case of selective hearing like me.  Listen to what everyone has to say and use it in the decision making process.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure, but then I heard about the pay for recruits in the late 70s/80's. Risk my ass for less than 150.00 IIRC a month. NOT!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish I'd gotten the discipline the .mil instills a decade ago.

However, they didn't want me...bad eyes. I could have gotten in at the very bottom of the barrel. No thanks.

No regrets. I love my country. I did not particularly like the idea of serving under clinton, though.

I I got a do-over, a lot would happen differently. Join the military.....nope.

I respect anyone who ever did it, but I don't feel like I missed out on much. If I did, I'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sarge... really... left testicle too big? Wow. If the DQ'd you for that, they really must not have needed people badly at all.

Yes really.  "Excess" veins in the left nut.  The real bitch is that an AF doc first found it when I was 12 and they did nothing then.  And that was my point about the CLinton years.  They were VERY picky from what I saw.  What disqualed then can often pass for okay now.

Suplly and demand Iguess

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top