Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 6:19:23 AM EDT
denbeste.nu/external/idealogical_war.pdf

A story of US NGO's trying to sell us out.  Notice at the bottom
of page 1 who sponsored these idiots.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Get over it.

NPR isn't nearly as blatant as Air America and they have sponsors you can e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get over it.

NPR isn't nearly as blatant as Air America and they have sponsors you can e-mail.

Get over it like hell.

Excuse me but NPR gets tax dollars any many NPR stations are run out of collage campus at state expense Air America is not.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
NPR isn't too bad.  The only time I can remember them being blatantly biased was about 2 months ago, when the US handed sovereignty over to the Iraqis a few days ahead of the deadline.

All the media had been casting doubts for months, well more than doubts, they said it was inconceivable Iraq sovereignty could be transferred by June 30.  But when it it happened BEFORE the deadline, and all the journalists had to shitcan the stories they had prepared saying the US failed to live up to its promise, the anger shone through transparently.

In light of this good news, NPR ran maybe 20 minutes of reports claiming what a disaster the entire occupation had been, how the US had failed in every imaginable way, a constant stream of negativity and denouncement.  I could tell they were very angry they had been caught with their pants down, and refused to let Bush have any credit for handing Iraq over ahead of schedule.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
NPR = National Propaganda Radio,   if you can no longer detect the subilities of spin & slant, you've become numb to liberal brainwashing...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I've often found that NPR goes into the kind of DEPTH in stories that is often lacking on newschannels like CNN, MSNBC and FOX - precisely because NPR is not trying to come up with ENTERTAINEMENT NEWS and doesn't need to fight for ratings and advertising revenue.

Often, I also find that they tend to have really articulate people representing BOTH sides in a debate well - something that's often also lacking from some of the mainstream outlets (like CNN and FOX).

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've often found that NPR goes into the kind of DEPTH in stories that is often lacking on newschannels like CNN, MSNBC and FOX - precisely because NPR is not trying to come up with ENTERTAINEMENT NEWS and doesn't need to fight for ratings and advertising revenue.

Often, I also find that they tend to have really articulate people representing BOTH sides in a debate well - something that's often also lacking from some of the mainstream outlets (like CNN and FOX).

Well said.  I think the bigges NPR critics never actually listen to it.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

It ain't so bad.    What's funny is those complaining about bias won't complain one bit when they listen to limbaugh as if everything he says is gospel.  How bout some intellectual honesty!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It ain't so bad.    What's funny is those complaining about bias won't complain one bit when they listen to limbaugh as if everything he says is gospel.  How bout some intellectual honesty!

Not a relevant comparison.

Rush makes his biases known up front. Everyone listening to him knows the vantage from which he sees things.

NPR is often biased, yet claims to be objective. They also receive tax dollars.

About half the complaints you hear about NPR are warranted, IMO.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

I listen to it daily.  It IS that bad.

There is a difference between an editorial program like Rush Limbaugh's, and various other pundits, where you expect them to have a position or a bias, and supposedly objective, impartial news organizations or programs that exhibit bias.

I could care less that Air America is biased...that, after all, is their charter, their purpose.  The purpose of NPR shouldn't be to indoctrinate Americans into the left wing view of things when it's funded by over half of the population that doesn't subscribe to it's leftwing views.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
My biggest gripe about NPR is the condescending tone of their announcers -  the presumption that the proletariat need to be led (obviously by them, since they know what's best for us), and the way they expect us pee-ons to git all flusterbated at them big wurdz they uze. Gor-lee... I mus have a mullet, a NASCAR t-shirt, and be doin' mah sister if I vote fer Bush, or own a gun, or support the war in eye-rack... guess they're waitin' fer me to show up on "Springer" any minute now.

I remember a show a few weeks back discussing the Burr-Hamilton duel. The reporter kept pushing and pushing the idea of a Gore-Bush duel to "settle the issue".

Mind you, this was a few weeks ago (2004), not 2001. I found it particularly disturbing that such an extreme "anti-gun" media wing would push the idea of a duel with such tenacity, and such seeming disregard for the severity of such an action;s conclusion.

My father used to listen daily - I think it helped get his BP up to make it through the day.

He referred to it as National People's Radio, and used to tell me he listened so he knew what the opposition was up to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
NPR = National Propaganda Radio,   if you can no longer detect the subilities of spin & slant, you've become numb to liberal brainwashing...

+1, +1, +1

DMOS
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a relevant comparison.

Rush makes his biases known up front. Everyone listening to him knows the vantage from which he sees things.

Yeah, Rush is great and he's funny and I agree with him on almost everything, but that's the problem.  There's never anything new or surprising or educational for me when I listen to Rush.  But with NPR, I learn something new I never knew about pretty much every day.  Artists, authors, scientist I have never heard of or their work before.  Or I learn new stuff about famous people I never had heard before.  You just dont get that from Rush.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Campybob and Raven make good points.  There is a whole lot more to NPR than political comentary.  The main reason I listen is for the music.  Around here the radio stations are either; country, top 40, or classic rock.  They also avoid running stories into the ground like the TV news networks.  During something like the DC shootings Fox, CNN, and MSNBC brodcast nothing but coverage of the shootings.  Even when there wasn't anything new to report.  It was just the same shit over and over.  NPR would discuss anything new that came up, then go on with the rest of the news.

Is NPR biased?  Sure it is, so are all the other news outlets, but I think they do a pretty fair job.  Did anyone listen the the Tommy Franks interview on Fresh Air a couple of weeks ago?  Hardly what I'd call left wing indoctrination.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top