Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 3:44:58 AM EDT
So,

I checked the option box to get the PTO on my F250 when I ordered it 4 years ago, but I've yet to even remove the cover.  Is anybody using thiers, and if so, what for? (hydraulic unit, generator, etc...?)  I have been thinking about a backup generator for the house, and after seeing what they're going for it seems logical to use the 300hp that is already sitting in the driveway.  Problem is, after much googling I haven't located anything that appears to work.  Anybody find a use for thier PTO yet?

Papermaker
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Have worked on several over the years the least maintenance ones have been the ones set up with hyd pump to mtr if there set up right from the beginning. The drive shaft ones are the PITA esp. after some wear occurs in the parts. Remember if your going with a generator your going to need to control RPM at a preset Max unloaded and when the load goes up so dose the RPM to it preset. Ford makes the box for this, used mostly for ambulances to keep the charging up and other functions, its plug and play with you setting up the parameters and its expensive it seem like around 300-400$ but its been awhile and maybe you can get one used or cheaper ones out there now.  IMHO you would be better off getting a generator already set up or making one from a stationary power plant that’s stays permanent then doing what your considering. Now if talking about just needing hyd's such as for a log spliter or other attachments no problem should be able to find the parts you need at a salvage yard from a take off, just pay close attention on the type of PTO as to speed up or down,shifter type(cable or air), bolt pattern,max HP and such. And also to the main gear of the PTO if its used one thats the part that comes into contact with the counter shaft gear on your pickup and get someone that knows what thier doing to set up proper backlash and you should be running syt oil good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Make a trailer BBQ grill, run the hydraulics off the PTO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you choose to drive , do so with a  hydraulic pump to motor. Gearboxes with shafts are pure crap . Very high maintainence, vibrate like hell( and consequently shake the gear box loose) and prone to breakage of the relatively small u-joints.

If you are not going to run that genset everyday, it will be more economical to run a stand alone unit IMO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Harbor Freight had a PTO AC generator a few years ago. I haven't checked lately to see if they still do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Harbor Freight had a PTO AC generator a few years ago. I haven't checked lately to see if they still do.

This is what I was hoping to stumble across, although I don't see it on their website now.    I'll prolly end up with a 10kw stand alone generator, I guess powering one with the truck was too much to ask for...

Papermaker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top