Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 9:14:40 PM EDT
I need a pair of work boots, they can be steel toed or not. My main goal is comfort. I don't know much about work boots so thats why i'm asking. What type or brands do you guys recomend? I'd also like to stay around $60-$80 if at all possible. What has worked and not worked for you?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If your main goal is comfort, your price range obstructs.

Danner Boots
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Danner Boots

+1
Cheap assed boots will cause you misery. You will be well served spending a little more and getting a quality boot. I have been wearing Danners for twenty years and love them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
what kind of work, indoor/outdoor, is steel toe required, oil resistant sole, ESD?
You don't need $200 danner loggers if your changing oil at a gas station
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
$60.00 to $80.00 isnt going to buy you much of a work boot

I work on concrete up to 12 hours a day, and I wear Red Wings.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, gotta go with the Red Wings. We get a company discount and payroll deduction so it's not quite as hard on the wallet...well, it doesn't seem quite as hard on the wallet anyway...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a pair of Wolverines for $130. Absolutely comfortable. 30 day comfort guarantee. Mine steel toe (required at work) and are as light as my hikers. I run two lathes every day 8-10 hrs. a day/5-6 days a wk on concrete floor. A lot of mileage every day. Feet are tired but not sore. Didn't even need to be broke in.

Edit: Non-steel toe are cheaper. Around $90-$100. Maybe a little less.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Red Wings for work (commercial electrician).

Danners for outdoor activities.

That $60-80 generally won't buy anything but grief.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ariat makes several boots, lace up and slip on in your price range. Well made, comfortable boots. Bates makes a side zip steel toe in that price range too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just bought a pair of Wolverines for $130. Absolutely comfortable. 30 day comfort guarantee. Mine steel toe (required at work) and are as light as my hikers. I run two lathes every day 8-10 hrs. a day/5-6 days a wk on concrete floor. A lot of mileage every day. Feet are tired but not sore. Didn't even need to be broke in.

Edit: Non-steel toe are cheaper. Around $90-$100. Maybe a little less.

I switched from Wolverines to Red Wings because the RW soles last alot longer. If you wear out the soles on some of the RW boots in a year, they'll replace them for free.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
WOLVERINE, going on 2 years on my first pair!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Regardless of whether they require it, get the steel toes.  If you are around any equipment its worth it. I have had boxes and pallets fall on my feet and the toes did their job.  Hurt the tops of my feet but kept them from begin seriously hurt several times.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagged...

I need some comfortable boots (steel toe preferred) with a non-slip sole for use around the kitchen. Must be comfortable for hours and hours of standing and carrying heavy items.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I spent a lot of my time in construction making my feet unhappy wearing $50 boots and having to replace them every 6 months. I finally gave in a bought a pair of Red-wings. My feet were ecstatic. and if you have a local one near you, you can take them in once a month for a cleaning/oiling/shoelace repair. My boots lasted for almost 2 1/2 years, with one $70 sole replacement (because I wear shoes out un-evenly). I'm on pair 2 now that will probably last me the rest of my life since I bought them just before I quit construction and went back to school.

As a finish carpenter I spent a lot of time crawling around on my knees and alway wore out the toes of my boots, but never on these.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Wolverines
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand $60-$80 isn't much for a work boot. I was hoping maybe there would be a Makarov or AK of boots.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll second the votes for Wolverine and Danner--had good experiences with both.

I'm not typical, but I wouldn't recommend RedWings to anyone--the pair I have is far and away the most miserable (and expensive)pair of boots I've ever owned. They don't wear out, but took over a month to break in, and are utterly uncomfortable. They've lasted almost 2 years--great, 2 years of misery.

In general, the longer boots wear, the less comfort they will have.

Like I said, many others will disagree  with my experience, but that's my $.02 from years of experience standing 8-12 hours a day on concrete.

Edit to add--at one time the Caterpillar "Walking Machines" boots were made by Wolverine, IIRC. $60 to $80 would get you into a pair of those--they're comfortable, but will probably only last a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I understand $60-$80 isn't much for a work boot. I was hoping maybe there would be a Makarov or AK of boots.

Like I said, I thought the same way for a long time, you just end up spending more money because they wear out and have to be replaced more often. Sometimes wearing out just means that they don't support your feet right anymore, the boots will still look OK, but your feet start hurting all the time.

My Red Wings did take a couple weeks to break in, but they were the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worked in once the did.

Danner do have a good reputation though, so I'm in no way saying don't get them, I've just never had any.

I've seen some Wolverines that didn't last very long at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Danner Boots

+1
Cheap assed boots will cause you misery. You will be well served spending a little more and getting a quality boot. I have been wearing Danners for twenty years and love them.

+2
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Red Wing all the way.  You will pay more but it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
A few years back I bought a pair of those 1 year guaranteed not to wear the soles out Red Wings.  They were the most uncomfortable thing I have ever put on my feet.  I sold them.

I DESTROY work boots.  I get a year or so out of them.  And I take care of them - almost every weekend I clean them and use Sno Seal.  I've tried the Red Wing resole deal three times.  Each time the entire sole ended up coming loose - back by the heel.  Kept sending them back and they kept sending them back to me.  I finally gave up.  

After a year or so, they become one of my two spares.  The spares from last year go to Goodwill.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ariat makes several boots, lace up and slip on in your price range. Well made, comfortable boots. Bates makes a side zip steel toe in that price range too.

I currently wear a pair of the Bates side zipper steel toe boots. They are great! I bought them 1 full size larger on purpose so I could add extra insoles if needed. They only required about a week of break in. I work maintenance in a wire factory, and I am constantly walking around for 12 hrs.

I have learned over the years that if you want a real comfortable boot that wont hurt your feet later on in life, get ones with a flat sole, no heel. The soles can start to seperate from the inside and the heel will move back and forth on the bottom of your foot causing you problems later in life.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
RED WING....There is no comparison.  They are the best there is.  They are expensive, but you get what you pay for!!!

John
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I do light work on aircraft.  Some oil/gas, concrete floor and non-skit.

Cheap boots suck.  The best of the cheap boots are Magnums/Bates.  In your price range they are a good bet, especially the full leather, steel toe.  After breakin they feel like Nike sneakers.  Mine wore out in a little over a year.  Expect 6 months if you do hard work.
I have a pair of Matterhorns now.  Super comfy, waterproof and sweat absorbing - a big deal here in LA.  Downside is they are a little heavy until you get used to it.  Used them for 18 months now and they are good for another 12.

Fritz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top