Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 5:40:11 PM EDT
Does anyone know the key combination to hold during boot up that loads only required sys tray apps and or is there a better way to use the windows task manager to close processes except the minimum to run XP. I have tried closing the processes that I know are bunk but often times they reload right back up.
Spybot and adaware don't seem to be helping me much anymore.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
try F8

Digital
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont forget your Services applet in CPTR MGNT
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you trying to make it so certain programs do not run at startup?
click on start , then run and type "msconfig" (without quotes).  Click on the startup tab and uncheck
the programs you don't want to start.  After your computer reboots, check the box and say ok to tell it not to display the message every time.

follow the instructions here if you want to stop programs that are not needed.  You will find that there are programs running in the background that are a security threat and steal your bandwidth.

www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services.php

personally, i only run the basics to allow more resources for gaming and graphics programs.  I also don't like anything using the internet connection without my knowledge (no automatic updates on anything).

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Woody nailed it. Follow his directions and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
click on start , then run and type "msconfig" (without quotes).  Click on the startup tab and uncheck
the programs you don't want to start.  After your computer reboots, check the box and say ok to tell it not to display the message every time.

follow the instructions here if you want to stop programs that are not needed.  You will find that there are programs running in the background that are a security threat and steal your bandwidth.

personally, i only run the basics to allow more resources for gaming and graphics programs.  I also don't like anything using the internet connection without my knowledge (no automatic updates on anything).

Thanks guys I appreciate the help!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy Hell!!!!!

Did what you said woody and disabled everything just to see.  I have a FAST!!!! computer, I almost forgot what it  was like when I brought it home from the store. Bro I can't thank you enough. I will check the web site you linked to see what else I can squeeze out of her.

I owe you Bro!

Hunter out....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]
run "msconfig" from the start menu (start, run, msconfig). You'll have fine grained control over the boot process.

Edit: I'm a moron.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out  www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm . This has all the information you will need to know which  services you can safely turn off and which need to be left on. In reality, there are about 8 - 10 that  you can leave on and have a VERY fast machine.  Adding memory is a cheap way to get some extra speed out of it too.

Camper h.gif
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]
here is a great site with good instructions for the above and various other tweaks, if you're interested,

Tweak XP.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
"Programs, programs, you can't tell the players without a program!"

Let me also suggest that you look here:

www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

... for programs that you find running, and then decide if you want to keep them running or not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Holding the "shift" key while starting up also stops many of the auto-loading apps from starting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
mark for later....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Holy Hell!!!!!

Did what you said woody and disabled everything just to see.  I have a FAST!!!! computer, I almost forgot what it  was like when I brought it home from the store. Bro I can't thank you enough. I will check the web site you linked to see what else I can squeeze out of her.

I owe you Bro!

Hunter out....

Hehe, no problem.  

Rebooting your computer often will help too.  I reboot mine almost every day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Great info guys. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#15]
tagged, there sure are some smart fellers around here.  You mean all of you aren't gun toten' fools?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:36:51 AM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just did it, I'm going for a re-boot........

Hold my beer.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#20]
"I also don't like anything using the internet connection without my knowledge (no automatic updates on anything)."

Zonealarm will give you control over which programs can and cannot access the internet.  Of course, your web browser, virus scanner (for auto updates), and a few other programs can be set to have access.  Others you can have it have to ask your permission.

www.zonelabs.com

or

www.zonealarm.com

Just get the free version, you have to look around for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Goto > Start > Run > type "msconfig"

The "Startup" and "Services" tabs let you uncheck those services and programs you want to start at boot. Do some research before unchecking the services, unchecking some may result in your computer not working properly . None of the programs in the "Startup" are needed for Windows to run properly. You should only have a antivirus and a few other programs checked.Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#23]
try running pcpitstop.. it worked for me.. try running tweakui, too
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Some already mentioned this app that comes with XP but here's the command to open it from the run menu.

Services.msc, this lets you tweak all of the little Windows XP services, many times you don't need half of these. If you do turn off some of the ones that seem to relate to networking don't be surprised if you find it difficult to get a network up

Another tip, a straight format of your HDD will definitely freshen things up. Make sure to get all of your updates as soon as your online though, even if you have to take your tower over to a buddy's house.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm back, Woody's link worked for me, no prollems yet..........Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#27]
t
a
g

f
o
r

a
t

h
o
m
e
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top